Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:22 AM

51 posts, read 109,160 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating from college in the spring with a degree in Business Management, and the job application process is officially underway!

Lately, I've been considering entry-level sales management/account executive-type positions as well as recruiting/staffing-type positions. Based on my personality, my degree, and my previous work experience, I feel as though those types of positions would suit me well. Eventually, I would like to enter either the medical sales field (pharmaceutical, medical device) or the healthcare administration field after getting my feet wet in the healthcare industry. Also, I plan on earning either an MBA or MHA within the next five years, so proximity to decent universities is a must as well as living in a state with cheap in-state tuition rates.

Based on the types of career paths I'm exploring, I can pretty much live in any major market I want to. At the moment, I'm considering Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Orlando, Phoenix, and Tampa for professional and lifestyle reasons among other reasons. Here's my criteria for my future home:

1. Immaculately clean with very limited pollution (smog, litter, graffiti, etc.)
2. Smooth, wide, modern roads and freeways (I cannot stress this one enough.)
3. Long, hot summers (I love hot weather.)
4. Mild winter weather (I detest cold weather.)
5. Plenty of outdoor recreational opportunities within a short driving distance (hiking, golf, jet-skiing, etc.)
6. Professional sports teams nearby (within a 45-60 min. drive, tops)
7. No tornadoes
8. No earthquakes (Therefore, California is out.)
9. No wildfires
10. Manageable traffic (I don't mind a long commute--currently mine is about ~30 minutes--as long as I'm moving. Obviously, the less surface street/freeway traffic, the better.)
11. Open-minded, easy-going, fiscally-conservative locals
12. Pro-2A state
13. Relatively low cost of living (including low taxes and inexpensive housing)

I hate the idea of living in a city in which you must utilize public transportation in order to get around because I vastly prefer driving to places in the comfort of my own vehicle than using public transportation.

A state with no state income tax is a huge plus.
Since I plan on renting an apartment during my first few years post-college, I will avoid--in roundabout way--paying property taxes and homeowners' insurance, so living in a state without a state income tax will only allow me to save even more money, for the most part.

I miss living near the ocean, but I can manage without it for a few more years--I think...

I should probably mention that recreational offerings are much more important to me than cultural offerings.

IMO, personal property/excise taxes on vehicles are evil as well as taxes on food for home consumption. Also, the lower the sales tax, the better.

Lastly, the less "churchy" the population, the better.

Based on my criteria, which cities do you think will suit me best?! I listed a few in the title of the thread that may suit me well, but what do you all think? I'm leaning towards Phoenix, Tampa, and Orlando, but I don't want to discount Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, etc. just yet! Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 10:56 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,896,295 times
In my opinion definitely the Tampa area of your choices, particularly for overall cleanliness and easy going people. Overall I would choose Charlotte as it hits all of your criteria quite well.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:34 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
You should probably also look into Raleigh/Durham.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutiny77 View Post
you should probably also look into raleigh/durham.
+1

Old 09-28-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In my opinion definitely the Tampa area of your choices, particularly for overall cleanliness and easy going people. Overall I would choose Charlotte as it hits all of your criteria quite well.
Which city are you recommending? I'm confused.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:25 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,202 times
Definitely Charlotte.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhodyInTheDesert View Post
Which city are you recommending? I'm confused.
You said you were leaning toward three cities, of which I recommended Tampa. Of all your choices, I recommend Charlotte.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:48 AM

542 posts, read 1,683,138 times
Just keep in mind that if you choose Charlotte, you'll be one of thousands of people moving there seemingly every day. The city's getting very crowded and rent prices are soaring.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_show View Post
Just keep in mind that if you choose Charlotte, you'll be one of thousands of people moving there seemingly every day. The city's getting very crowded and rent prices are soaring.
To be honest with you, out of all of the choices listed, Charlotte is in last place because it is, arguably, the coldest choice. Like I stated in my original post, I detest cold weather. I once visited the Raleigh-Chapel Hill area for a few days in early October a couple of years ago, and it was downright freezing--high temps. in the lower 60's, low temps. in the mid-40's! I couldn't wait to return to Florida where high temps. were still in the upper 80's!

Also, I've lived in enough places to know that I prefer to live around transplanted Midwesterners vs. transplanted Northeasterners and native Southerners. That's probably another reason why I should cross Charlotte and Atlanta off my list.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:32 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhodyInTheDesert View Post
To be honest with you, out of all of the choices listed, Charlotte is in last place because it is, arguably, the coldest choice. Like I stated in my original post, I detest cold weather. I once visited the Raleigh-Chapel Hill area for a few days in early October a couple of years ago, and it was downright freezing--high temps. in the lower 60's, low temps. in the mid-40's! I couldn't wait to return to Florida where high temps. were still in the upper 80's!

Also, I've lived in enough places to know that I prefer to live around transplanted Midwesterners vs. transplanted Northeasterners and native Southerners. That's probably another reason why I should cross Charlotte and Atlanta off my list.
Any city in the South is going to have lots of native Southerners, so keep that in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.