U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 26,248 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving away from N.E. Michigan. Although we love how beautiful it is, we have some goals:

Get into multi-family real estate - a place that has cash flow positive rents.

Sports: Good competitive sport teams, in order of importance: Swimming, downhill skiing, biking, running. motocross, speed skating. (from winter sports we can be a few hours away)

We have 2 daughters, ages 10 and 8- that are homeschool, but we are looking for a non-religious community (a lot of homeschools tend to be very religious).

We need a fun active downtown that is walk-able

Safe, friendly and open-minded

We don't care really what state, what region- we have the ability to to anywhere in the US.

Currently thinking about other locations in MI, although this is not ideal, and we were thinking FL just because of Disney. But I am hearing a lot of ying/yang on the sate- most people saying it is not safe in most parts and getting very little direction where is safe.

So, toss out your fave town or region and WHY!

ETA: I am for the Pacific North West, and grew up in the Seattle area. My husband grew up by Ann Arbor.

Much thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:07 AM

23,078 posts, read 34,433,495 times
After reading through your criteria a couple of times in my opinion you should focus on college towns. They tend to be safe, open-minded, offer vibrant downtown areas and have a perpetual need for multi-family housing option (particularly targeting the grad school population). Moderately priced options like Charlottesville (VA), Blacksburg (VA), Morgantown (WV) and Athens (GA) would be my suggestion.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 AM

We actually do focus (when looking) on college towns :-) Central MI is a great college town for price v's rents. But, we are wanting to expand our travels a little. I will for sure look into those towns you suggested!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:17 AM

65,801 posts, read 91,688,146 times
Look into parts of Upstate NY. For instance, for what you want to do, you can look into some of the college towns or smaller cities with colleges and possibly look into renting to students. You could possibly make some money that way. Perhaps a scenario where you buy a property like this: OSWEGO Real Estate - 121 E 4th St, OSWEGO, NY, 13126 Then, in turn use it to rent to students at the local SUNY campus and potentially make a profit that way. Oswego is about 40 minutes north of Syracuse. So, it isn't too far from a bigger city. I'm not saying to specifically do this, but that is an idea that could work for what you are looking to do. other similar communities up here are: Oneonta, Plattsburgh, Potsdam, Fredonia, Cortland, Brockport, Geneseo and Canton.

Given what you are looking for in other aspects, I'd say to look specifically into Ithaca or maybe even parts of the bigger Upstate NY cities. Ithaca is essentially a smaller version of Ann Arbor, just as a frame of reference. plattsburgh may be a sleeper in that it has a 2 and 4 year college(both SUNY), is by the Adirondack Mtns.(including communities like Lake Placid and Saranac Lake), has a free city beach for city residents on Lake Champlain, is an hour south of Montreal and across the lake from Burlington VT, has an overall COL just below the national average and is largely safe. Glens Falls is another community that comes to mind as well.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:03 PM

26,232 posts, read 34,882,253 times
Cash flow real estate seems to be possible in Texas and in Detroit. But only if you are really careful what you buy.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:25 PM

2,479 posts, read 4,486,631 times
Northwest college towns: Eugene OR, Corvallis OR, Olympia WA, Bellingham WA, Pullman WA, Missoula MT.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM

I actually grew up outside of Seattle in Olympia and my grandma lived in Corvallis when I was growing up. Both beautiful. Although not sure I want to be in the PNW again... not out of the question, but wanting to get out of my comfort zone a bit. Although WA and OR are pretty beautiful, they are not very competitive in sports and WA is horrid on the price to rent ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.