Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
It amazes me that the coastal folks are still so ignorant of the fact that the best beaches are actually in the middle of the continent.

I have never, not in Japan, China, Korea, Vietnam, the Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, Mexico, Jamaica.......NOR California, Washington, Hawaii, Oregon, Mass/Capr Cod, New York/New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, NC/SC Florida.......

ever ever found beaches more beautiful than the white pure sands of Lake Michigan.
Perhaps you could learn th definition of "subjective" before going out and calling everyone ignorrant for not knowing what "the best" is in your opinion. By all means tell us about the beaches on the Great Lakes, I'm interested in seeing them myself. But to call out such a broad stroke of ignorrance because it differs from what you think is the best only deters and negates your point.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-23-2013 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
I'm glad to see so many Hawaiian beaches on the list. In my opinion nothing tops Hawaii, but that's just my humble opinion. I'm also glad they didn't pick South Beach, Waikiki, Virginia Beach, or Myrtle Beach; too much concrete.

Some beaches that were left out that deserve mention are Cannon Beach in Oregon, and the Pacific beaches along the Washington shoreline in Olympic National Park. Fun in the sun? No! But it's chalk full of awesome scenery with huge monlith rocks, nice sand, evergreen forest right down to the beach, black and cinamon colored sand, impressive cliffs with sandy coves, and stellar sunsets devoid of crowds. It's just you, God, and the ocean with kick ass waves. Love it up there.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Hanauma Bay isn't really a "beach" in the sense that it's a place where people are suppose to go for a typical beach experience. It's a popular snorkeling spot for its coral reefs, which is why I'm surprised it made this list. Last time I went there they didn't even charge to go there but it was an over crowded tourist filled snorkeling spot even 15 years ago. It doesn't belong on this list IMO.
Yep, that's exactly what I got from it. I know they're trying hard but their reef is not up to par even. It reminds me of when I was in the Bahamas last year and the same sort of thing happened. Really uneventful.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I prefer Great Lakes beaches in general...better sand (no coral.dead crabs, shells, just PURE SAND)...better smell, (no seaweed)
Better sand than what? California? Yeah maybe. Most beaches in Florida? no way.

You think "this" sand is better than Florida?

http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/10204...bear_dunes.jpg

I'm talking about white powder sand that squeaks when you walk.

Have you ever been to Destin, St. Andrews, Pensacola Beach?

There are a lot of different sand variations in Florida by the way... If you actually think the sand at Lake Michigan is better you probably hit up the Atlantic side or the Keys or something.

http://www.visitflorida.com/articles...he-beach-sands

Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
IMO some of Florida wins for best sand on a beach, but I haven't been to every island of Hawaii yet...

Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Better sand than what? California? Yeah maybe. Most beaches in Florida? no way.

There are a lot of different sand variations in Florida by the way... If you actually think the sand at Lake Michigan is better you probably hit up the Atlantic side or the Keys or something.

Florida beaches and beach sand information and comparison coast to coast | VISITFLORIDA.com
I spent two years living in Beverly Shores....home of some of the singing sands, listened to it every day.....

apparently Wikipedia is on my side. Not only does it "sing" but it is totally devoid of shell fragments and coral... The southern and Western edges of Lake Michigan have CONSISTENTLY over the length of HUNDREDS OF MILES the best cleanest most singing sand on Earth. IMHO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singing_sand

Old 02-23-2013, 10:19 AM

"Examples of singing sand dunes include California's Kelso Dunes and Eureka Dunes; sugar sand beaches and Warren Dunes in southwestern Michigan; Sand Mountain in Nevada; the Booming Dunes in the Namib Desert, Africa; Porth Oer (also known as Whistling Sands) near Aberdaron in Wales; Indiana Dunes in Indiana; Barking Sands in Hawaiʻi; Mingsha Shan in Dunhuang, China; Singing Beach in Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts; near the Al Udeid Air Base west of Doha, in Qatar; and Gebel Naqous, near el-Tor, South Sinai, Egypt."

wikipedia

and yes, Indiana (let alone Michigan) has nicer beaches than Florida

http://www.visitusa.com/indiana/indi...dunessmall.jpg

Old 02-23-2013, 10:29 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Very nice. Where are those? I've been wanting to check out some beaches there since I saw all the nice beaches along Chicago's lake front. Nice!

Old 02-23-2013, 10:31 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
That is more continental sand, the sand in Florida is even finer and almost pure quartz.

St. George Island occupies the eastern flank of the greatest strand of white sand on earth - the panhandle beaches of Florida. From here to Perdido Key in Alabama, the sand is nearly pure quartz crystal. While most noncarbonated (noncoral) beaches are composed of 15 to 20 different types of sand, the panhandle beaches are like a bar of Ivory soap - 9944/100% pure.

Dr Beach.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Mfo...t%20mm&f=false

Indiana has nicer beaches than Florida? In what Bizarro world do you live dude...

and what is lurking right next to indiana dunes...

alogn with run off and pollution from chicago and milwaukee, gary. you think that is better than fl beaches? gotta be trippin.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 AM

Florida has nothing approching the dunes of Lake Michigan, the Indiana Dunes, Warren Dunes, Dleeping Bear Dunes.....

Lake Michigan sand comes from sandstone, that's why it is finer than coastal sand.....it's almost like dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.