Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 01:55 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,610,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover128 View Post
I'm from NC and I went to visit New York City and I asked for sweet tea and they gave me a weird look and just gave me unsweetened tea with some sugar packs to put in it.
I also think its weird to have plain tea and add the sugar yourself, why not just serve it sweetened? On the other hand, my mom for instance likes to add her own sugar... and me personally rather add my own to avoid over sweetening the tea. You can get sweet tea from McDonalds though.. And Duncan Donuts as well. They serve a large ice tea thats pre-sweetened for like a dollar when they have that special.

I just drank Arizona Sweetened southern or whatever and its weird, its sweet but has that Arizona taste. I don't like most Arizona teas, I like the simple sweet tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 01:56 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,883,009 times
Give me an Arizona green tea over anything. I do like sweetened tea but sometimes I'd rather have no sugar than too much.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:03 PM

15,999 posts, read 21,004,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
In the South it's understood that when you ask for tea, you are asking for iced tea and not hot tea. Your waitress is wanting to know what kind of iced tea you want. So I would say that sweet tea is a type of iced tea, not a separate category.
Oh I get that. If I want hot tea I specifically ask for hot tea, not just tea, otherwise yeah, I get ice tea. But in the midwest when you asked for ice tea you got unsweetened or lightly sweetened tea, there was no asking because as far as everybody was concerned there was only one kind of iced tea, sweet tea was unheard of.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:32 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,643,141 times
I grew up in Nashville, TN on Coke and iced tea. Sometimes I drink the tea sweet, sometimes not. When eating out in the South I often ask for half-and-half, so it's sweet, but not too sweet. It's just a regional thing - which is why it surprised me when McDonald's went national with the sweet tea thing (I think they have pretty decent tea). I don't care for green tea or most any tea that comes in a bottle or can.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:07 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,881,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I didn't realize so many other northerners shared my distaste for sweetened iced tea.

That being true, why the hell is it so difficult to find a mass-market unsweeetned bottled iced tea in the U.S.?

It is very rare you find a restaurant around Philly that hands you sweetened iced tea if you just asked for iced tea.

Sweetened iced tea is sure to raise your blood sugar as you age if you drink it a lot. Table sugar (part glucose and part fructose) gets converted into glucose in your body pretty quickly when you drink a liquid full of the stuff with no dietary fiber (slows absorption down).

Diabetes rate doubles in U.S. in last 10 years - Health - Diabetes | NBC News

quote: The nation's obesity epidemic is exacting a heavy toll: The rate of new diabetes cases nearly doubled in the United States in the past 10 years, the government said Thursday. The highest rates were in the South, according to the first state-by-state review of new diagnoses. The worst was in West Virginia, where about 13 in 1,000 adults were diagnosed with the disease in 2005-07. The lowest was in Minnesota, where the rate was 5 in 1,000.

No wonder the South has the higher rate of diabetes.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 PM

37,762 posts, read 40,875,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicLover128 View Post
I'm from NC and I went to visit New York City and I asked for sweet tea and they gave me a weird look and just gave me unsweetened tea with some sugar packs to put in it.
Mayor Bloomberg probably outlawed it.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:22 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,881,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Mayor Bloomberg probably outlawed it.

Which city govt's have every right to do. As Madison said long ago:

The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite.

So, if New York state allows local laws like that which I'm sure they do (not prohibited in the state constitution), then Bloomberg and the city council can ban it.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,499,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the State governments are numerous and indefinite.

So, if New York state allows local laws like that which I'm sure they do (not prohibited in the state constitution), then Bloomberg and the city council can ban it.
Whoa, now. Where do you get off using logic and reason??

Old 02-25-2013, 06:23 PM

550 posts, read 1,279,219 times
Yeah, I doubt they had banning drinks in mind when they wrote the Constitution.

Besides, the 9th Amendment says:

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:19 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,287,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

Yet no ban on giant slices of pizza, bagels, egg creams, and other Big Apple delicacies?

Yeah, go ahead and ban large sodas, because I never get fat any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.