Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 AM

5 posts, read 20,674 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to a city (it can be anywhere in the us) which meet the following criteria:
-it's a relatively big city (more than 200.000 people)
-lots of entertainment, good nightlife
-mild weather (not below 25 degrees in the winter and not more than 90 degrees in the summer on average)
-comfortable humidity (especially in the summer)
-beautiful, clean, warm in the summer (>75 degrees water) lake which is max. 90 minutes from the city

I've been looking for weeks now and found many cities with lakes nearby but many of the lakes weren't as clean as I'd like them to be. So I would really appreciate any help from you guys.
Oh and I'm self employed and can work from anywhere so a job market is not an issue with me. I'm single and ready to spend up to 3000$ a month for an apartment/condo. That's about it. So again any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 06:26 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Mission Viejo, CA comes to mind, although it may be lagging on the Nightlife Side.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Some of the criteria may have to be relaxed, but perhaps Portland Oregon may be the closest to fulfilling all of the criteria. Salt Lake City UT and Boise ID close as well.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Some of these things may turn out to be unrealistic. I know it's the dream, but I agree you might have to relax some of it. With that being said, you might want to look at some places in Northern California, Oregon, or Washington state. I would say Boise, but then again it's not 90 minutes drive from another city.

Maybe Santa Cruz (even if it's on the ocean), Eugene or Salem in Oregon, Tacoma in Washington....though Tacoma is the only one that actually has more than 200,000 people. Santa Cruz is pretty close to San Fran/San Jose though.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:01 AM

5 posts, read 20,674 times
Even though it doesn't have 200.000 people (it's just a number btw, the important thing is that it's not a small city like Laguna Beach for example), Mission Viejo seems great. I just like southern California more than Northern California or even Oregon. Just preference I guess. Basically I didn't know that Southern California even has any lakes where you can swim in. So with that in mind does anybody know a little bit more about Mission Viejo lake water temperatures in the summer, swimming's itch (which seems to be an issue there), how clean is the lake etc.? People? Down to earth or fake like some people like to say? What about nightlife there? I'm not a party animal or anything like that but it would be great if I'd have something closer than LA which is approximately an hour away if I'm not mistaken. I'm looking forward to great answers.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,501 times
The Phoenix area meets your criteria except for the "Not over 90 degrees part" but if you stay in the pool or indoors you won't even know it's 107. And the humidity is low so you cool off a good deal in the shade.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Some of these things may turn out to be unrealistic. I know it's the dream, but I agree you might have to relax some of it. With that being said, you might want to look at some places in Northern California, Oregon, or Washington state. I would say Boise, but then again it's not 90 minutes drive from another city.

Maybe Santa Cruz (even if it's on the ocean), Eugene or Salem in Oregon, Tacoma in Washington....though Tacoma is the only one that actually has more than 200,000 people. Santa Cruz is pretty close to San Fran/San Jose though.
Water is freezing there year round, never goes above 60.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Water is freezing there year round, never goes above 60.
Yeah, you could say that about most of the Pacific Ocean on the mainland. Even Lake Michigan around Chicago in the summer has warmer water than the LA area in the pacific ocean (slightly...and if it's really, really warm then it can be over 10 degrees warmer).

Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, you could say that about most of the Pacific Ocean on the mainland. Even Lake Michigan around Chicago in the summer has warmer water than the LA area in the pacific ocean (slightly...and if it's really, really warm then it can be over 10 degrees warmer).
The ocean water in Southern CA almost always reaches the 70's during summer, some summers the water can be cooler than others though. It can reach the mid-70's too, I've swam in 75-76 degree water in San Diego plenty of times. The water isn't nearly as cold in Southern CA than Northern CA during summer.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The ocean water in Southern CA almost always reaches the 70's during summer, some summers the water can be cooler than others though. It can reach the mid-70's too, I've swam in 75-76 degree water in San Diego plenty of times. The water isn't nearly as cold in Southern CA than Northern CA during summer.
Northern, CA is colder yes, but Southern Cal is not that warm. I grew up going to beaches in SoCal..San Diego is better, but the LA area is a mixed bag. Lake Michigan temps in the summer are in the low 70s and sometimes mid 70s. If it's near 100 for a week or two like last summer, it can get up to 80/low 80s. IMO though, water temps in the 70s for a warm weather area and beach is still kind of cold, but there are not many places in the US that boast water temps in the mid 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.