Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 11:04 PM

105 posts, read 117,258 times

Advertisements

Being that i'm from North Carolina. And My Aunt moved up to the DMV area, and i used to stay with her alot. i do have to Respectfully Disagree with you on that one. Now there might be alot of Southerners who move to that area. But as far as the Blacks who are native to to Bmore. Ive herd them talk and it isnt quite Southern. I've lived in the south all my life. I from NC, and lived in SC and GA. and spent alot of time in VA. So i know a Southern Accent when i hear it. I should know. I've been listening to it my whole life.
Now i will give you that alot of Southern Black Americans do move to the DMV area so if they stay there their children might be influenced by their parents. But the Native Bmore Accent isnt Southern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I don't want to get into a discussion of whether Baltimore is Northern or not, but if you honestly believe that Blacks in Baltimore don't sound Southern, I am curious to hear how you came to that conclusion. Boston and NYC are different stories, but Baltimore? Come on. I mean it's on the freaking Chesapeake Bay and the majority of Blacks there (unlike NYC and Boston) have strong ties to the Carolinas, not the West Indies.

I know linguistically Baltimore is officially a Midland dialect (meaning not Northern or Southern), but Blacks there have a different dialect than Whites (who even do exhibit Southernisms at times). Those long u vowels are not Northern or even Midland. I mean, I guess the rhoticism of Blacks in Baltimore does separate them from the Carolinas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:26 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
Being that i'm from North Carolina. And My Aunt moved up to the DMV area, and i used to stay with her alot. i do have to Respectfully Disagree with you on that one. Now there might be alot of Southerners who move to that area. But as far as the Blacks who are native to to Bmore. Ive herd them talk and it isnt quite Southern. I've lived in the south all my life. I from NC, and lived in SC and GA. and spent alot of time in VA. So i know a Southern Accent when i hear it. I should know. I've been listening to it my whole life.
Now i will give you that alot of Southern Black Americans do move to the DMV area so if they stay there their children might be influenced by their parents. But the Native Bmore Accent isnt Southern.
Interesting take. Do you think native Baltimore Blacks sound like native Philadelphian Blacks? Where would you say Southern dialects start with Blacks? Also, do you think Whites in Baltimore sound just as Northern or more Northern? In my opinion, Whites in Baltimore are a different story. Their accent ranges from General American to textbook Midland to a Southern Midland (meaning not full blown Southern but with Southern traits overpowering the Northern traits like Nancy Pelosi or Mel Kiper Jr). They say you can meet some Tidewater sounding White folk here but I never have and I know they're not natives, anyway.

I don't know how someone hears a Black Baltimorean and doesn't notice even a bit of Southern there. Really? Yew, tew, dew, curry lol

http://youtu.be/aZK9Xsu0rac

What exactly is "Northern" about this accent?

In the video above, girl says "y'all used to play basketball" and she definitely says it like a Southerner, not like a New Yorker. I had a coworker of mine watch this video (back when I was in Chicago) and he said it reminded him of his family down in Mississippi, down to their mannerisms and expressions. Now that's one person's opinion but you can't tell me that these people don't sound the least bit Southern after hearing them. If you say they don't, I'm curious how you define a Southern dialect, because I hear glide deletion and drawn out vowels all over the place here. Although I will say it's nothing like the classic Chahlston accent that I love. Not that it matters since that accent is a Coastal Southern which from what I understand is not the origin of Baltimore Blacks, anyway.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 04-05-2015 at 11:49 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 02:40 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
Some of you are just trying to be slick and say that blacks' dialects sound dumb and uneducated, but so be it. English doesn't sound that great in the first place. All it really sounds like is a bunch of dogs barking, so we just make the best out of speaking this dog language.

Like I said, so be it. Whatever.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Some of you are just trying to be slick and say that blacks' dialects sound dumb and uneducated, but so be it. English doesn't sound that great in the first place. All it really sounds like is a bunch of dogs barking, so we just make the best out of speaking this dog language.

You seem paranoid. Can you provide examples in this thread of people accusing blacks of sounding uneducated?

Here's some life advice: get rid of the anger and victim complex. You'll fare much better that way.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:51 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,188,334 times
Kobe (especially young Kobe) is a good example of a strong black Philly accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82g3...ature=youtu.be

Cuttino Mobley also a good example of an strong black Philly accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcul...ature=youtu.be

Philly born and raised black accents don't sound southern to me.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:

If that were true, you're going off the insinuation that people believe the Southern accent sounds uneducated and dumb. Regardless of race, then, anyone who has a Southern accent sounds uneducated and dumb... including millions of Southern whites living in and out of the South. If people believe all blacks have a Southern accent, likely due to history which has placed most blacks in the South until the last century when migration to Northern cities began on a large scale, which we are only one to two generations from, then this still reflects on the accent not the people themselves... so how exactly is this about race?

Old 04-06-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Do you then think that English people are uneducated since their language sounds like dogs barking? You must. You're just trying to be slick about it. Who the hell are you to judge someone's language and how it sounds? What makes you so special and above others?

Old 04-06-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Interesting take. Do you think native Baltimore Blacks sound like native Philadelphian Blacks? Where would you say Southern dialects start with Blacks? Also, do you think Whites in Baltimore sound just as Northern or more Northern? In my opinion, Whites in Baltimore are a different story. Their accent ranges from General American to textbook Midland to a Southern Midland (meaning not full blown Southern but with Southern traits overpowering the Northern traits like Nancy Pelosi or Mel Kiper Jr). They say you can meet some Tidewater sounding White folk here but I never have and I know they're not natives, anyway.

I don't know how someone hears a Black Baltimorean and doesn't notice even a bit of Southern there. Really? Yew, tew, dew, curry lol

In the video above, girl says "y'all used to play basketball" and she definitely says it like a Southerner, not like a New Yorker. I had a coworker of mine watch this video (back when I was in Chicago) and he said it reminded him of his family down in Mississippi, down to their mannerisms and expressions. Now that's one person's opinion but you can't tell me that these people don't sound the least bit Southern after hearing them. If you say they don't, I'm curious how you define a Southern dialect, because I hear glide deletion and drawn out vowels all over the place here. Although I will say it's nothing like the classic Chahlston accent that I love. Not that it matters since that accent is a Coastal Southern which from what I understand is not the origin of Baltimore Blacks, anyway.
I never said that they sound northern. I'm saying that they don't have a Southern Accent. Anyone can have "Southern" Mannerisms. since you know so much about Linguistics. You would know that words like Y'all aren't Southern in origin. Many people believe that The Southern English Dialect. Is a left over from the way the English used to talk before they Adopted the Oxford and the "Queens English" way of speaking. Until Recently The South has pretty much been Isolated because not many immigrants went there. So over the years as a whole The many Southern Accents are pretty similar to the people that settled those areas. So if there are common usage words among the North East and south. it most likely has to do with the Places where people immigrated from. words like Y'll, Aint, Yonder and so on are left overs from the European forefathers.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:

I watched the Video and i Do have to say. The way these guys are talking is more of a form of Ebonics. Rather than a Southern Dialect. Because of Hiphop many blacks that live in Urban Areas talk in ebonics. Rather than "Standard American English" I used quotations because there is no such thing as SAE. Every Region has its own Dialect. Ebonics Could be easily mis-identified as a southern accent because Southern Rappers From Georgia, Texas, Louisiana,Mississippi were prominent in hip-hop in the early 2000's So what you are hearing is Ebonics that is heavily influenced by southern rappers. They still don't have Southern Accents tho. They dont have that slow-paced Southern Dawl, That Country Twang, or that Appalachian fast talk that is associated with the many southern Accents.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:44 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquancs View Post
I watched the Video and i Do have to say. The way these guys are talking is more of a form of Ebonics. Rather than a Southern Dialect. Because of Hiphop many blacks that live in Urban Areas talk in ebonics. Rather than "Standard American English" I used quotations because there is no such thing as SAE. Every Region has its own Dialect. Ebonics Could be easily mis-identified as a southern accent because Southern Rappers From Georgia, Texas, Louisiana,Mississippi were prominent in hip-hop in the early 2000's So what you are hearing is Ebonics that is heavily influenced by southern rappers. They still don't have Southern Accents tho. They dont have that slow-paced Southern Dawl, That Country Twang, or that Appalachian fast talk that is associated with the many southern Accents.
This makes no sense. AAVE pre-dates hip hop. Black English didn't start the moment Andre 3000 accepted his Source Award.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.