Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2015, 12:24 AM

4,797 posts, read 5,981,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Before I moved to Philadelphia for school, i didn't even know Philadelphia had a distinct accent. When I heard it, I thought it sounded southern. I think it is because of its relative proximity to Baltimore?
When most people hear a Midland dialect, they hear Southen. With time, the accent types blend and become accent-less. In fact, it's thought Philly gave America its way of talking.

However I believe Midland dialects all have their origin in the Mid-Atlantic. Baltimore's is definitely more Southern sounding, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 01:02 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,634,253 times
I'm sure this has been answered already, but blacks outside of the South are several generations from southern migrants, so it's likely that retention would remain . The Northeast is an exception for reasons that are subject for debate.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:23 PM

650 posts, read 859,752 times
They don't. My fiancé is from Detroit, and defintely doesn't have a southern accent, he has a Michigan accent. We live in DC now and again they don't have southern accents.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:48 PM

37,789 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
They don't. My fiancé is from Detroit, and defintely doesn't have a southern accent, he has a Michigan accent. We live in DC now and again they don't have southern accents.
Many Black people in Detroit and DC, while not having an all-out drawl, do have Southern-influenced accents though.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:16 PM

122 posts, read 179,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I hear some people say the Baltimore Blaccent has a Northern quality. But, what is it?

Surely it isn't the strong glide deletion
Surely it isn't the way "things" becomes "thangs"
Surely it isn't the way short vowels have a drawl ("can" becomes something "cayan")

Rhoticity maybe? I know Blacks in the Coastal South drop the R heavily. I don't even think WHITE Baltimoreans have a very Northern sound. While Baltimore is a Midland dialect, I feel it picks up enough Tidewater vowels to be considered a "North" Midland dialect. Even Whites in Baltimore will say things like "mah" instead of "my". But at least Whites maintain the tense-lax split common to the Mid-Atlantic. What are the "Northern" traits of the Baltimore Blaccent?

Also, can we just stop classifying "hurr" and "thurr" as Southern? Because Southern Blacks, being a mostly non-rhotic people don't even use those terms. You can hear terms like that in DC's Black population, too.

While i do agree the southern dialect is fairly non-rhotic among African Americans, it isnt that way entirely across the board. Now where those qualities exist are in areas where you'll also find that the highest concentration of African Americans reside. Which as you said, is the Lowland and Coastal region of the South (ie: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina etc.). so thats probably also why its primarily viewed as the predominant dialect among the group. With that being said, African Americans that reside in the Upland and Appalachian south do speak the way you described exactly. Youll definitely hear folks use the words "hurr" and "thurr" in places like Tennessee, Kentucky, some areas of Arkansas, and even West Virginia extensively. The southern accent among blacks in that region is heavily rhotic.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinikal View Post
While i do agree the southern dialect is fairly non-rhotic among African Americans, it isnt that way entirely across the board. Now where those qualities exist are in areas where you'll also find that the highest concentration of African Americans reside. Which as you said, is the Lowland and Coastal region of the South (ie: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina etc.). so thats probably also why its primarily viewed as the predominant dialect among the group. With that being said, African Americans that reside in the Upland and Appalachian south do speak the way you described exactly. Youll definitely hear folks use the words "hurr" and "thurr" in places like Tennessee, Kentucky, some areas of Arkansas, and even West Virginia extensively. The southern accent among blacks in that region is heavily rhotic.
Yeah. Very true. But the Philly Blaccent is also rhotic. Freeway, O and Sparks, and Bernard Hopkins speak in a rhotic dialect. So, if people are gonna say St Louis Blacks have a Southern influence and Philly Blacks don't, I'd challenge them to show me how that's even possible.

For the guy who said Detroit Blacks don't sound Southern, I agree. Detroit is one of those weird places where the traces of a Southern accent on Blacks seem to be small to nil. Google Doug Banks from Chicago's V103 radio station to hear a very Northern sound. I find the Detroit Blaccent fascinating as it's a HEAVILY Black city which means that the Southern migrants would have been surrounded by Southern accents almost entirely, yet the Detroit accent in Blacks isn't far from the White version. Chicago isn't like this and the Southern influence is there.

As far as DC, DC borders Virginia so I find it hard to believe Blacks there wouldn't sound at least partially Southern unless they came from true Northern states. I mean, even if DC isn't a Southern city NOW, it once was so if even in Northern states Blacks can still sound Southern, I find it hard to believe that in "former" Southern states Blacks wouldn't. That sounds very far fetched. DC is closer culturally to the Hampton Roads and Richmond than it is to NYC or Boston, where actual Northern dialects are spoken, unlike Philly and Baltimore where Midland dialects predominate, and those have more of a "neutral" sound that can be slightly more Northern or Southern depending on who you talk to. Example: some people in Philly display more Northern characteristics and some in Baltimore display more Southern. To say that "no" Southern characteristics exist in Blacks from DC makes no sense no matter how Southern you think that city is.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:27 PM

6,212 posts, read 9,148,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Many Black people in Detroit and DC, while not having an all-out drawl, do have Southern-influenced accents though.
Yeah the Southern influence in our accent (DC/PG) sounds more on the twangy side. Go down to Richmond or even Fayetteville, NC and their accents sound more like a drawled out version of our accent, especially Rich.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Yeah the Southern influence in our accent (DC/PG) sounds more on the twangy side. Go down to Richmond or even Fayetteville, NC and their accents sound more like a drawled out version of our accent, especially Rich.
There is a continuum.

For example, in the north, you hear a lot less twangy sounds and as you go further south you hear more drawls. this applies to people of every race. Like, in the Upper South white people don't sound as drawled out as people in the Deep South.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:07 PM

I always hear a little southern hint in the Philly accent. When I tell people this, they think I'm crazy. lol

Old 09-04-2015, 09:09 PM

Eddieoldschool

Have you heard many blacks with the Randy Moss accent? It doesn't sound like Ebonics but southern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHvPQu2QczM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.