Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2020, 10:25 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,186,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Listen to Cassidy, he definitely has the Philly accent down to a science. Some of his words sound southern. Meek too. I can tell he's not from NYC or Boston. Those are the only two east coast cities where blacks have lost their southern accent. Stop acting like you've never heard the term Pennsyltucky.
Jay Z, 50 cent, Nas, Bobby Brown etc, all have black NYC or Boston accents, but all of them still say some words that sound southern. Also the black Boston accent sounds different from the black NYC accent. There is no black regional accent in the US that is 100% devoid from minor southernisms. But with that said, the black accents of Philly, NYC, and from what I heard Boston, have the least southern influence in their accents in the U.S, and overall have northern sounding accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 08:39 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Quote:
Listen to Cassidy, he definitely has the Philly accent down to a science. Some of his words sound southern. Meek too. I can tell he's not from NYC or Boston. Those are the only two east coast cities where blacks have lost their southern accent. Stop acting like you've never heard the term Pennsyltucky.
If cassidy never talked about Philly I would asssume most southeners would think he is a New Yorker. As a New Yorker I think the Philly accent is completely different. My cousins who were raised in Philly arent even African American and their voices have some sort of twang in it. I agree that once you enter NJ the southern twang does end but there are older New Yorkers who have a southern twang.

Old 07-29-2020, 08:41 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,025 times
Actually I would love to learn the development of the new black accents that were formed up north. Was there some shame in the southern accent back then that caused ut to change to what it is now? Its a pretty good question since black folks up north lived very segregated.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:20 AM

79 posts, read 42,899 times
Quote:
I'm from the same exact place. North Philly to be exact. Listening to them is pointless because they sound normal to me. No one from philly has ever heard of a "Pensyltucky". Lol. Did you just make that up? Kentucky and Philly isn't the same sound. Hahaha! I already know some people may say a few things country, but overall our accent is far far away from southern. And, if you're really from DC there's no way you could fathom that we talk southern when DC literally speaks southern. Just cause we use a few twang words that I already listed doesn't qualify our "accent" as southern because we still have northeast Mid Atlantic tone. I know we don't sound like NY, or Boston but we do sound East coast.

Old 07-30-2020, 02:38 AM

79 posts, read 42,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
If cassidy never talked about Philly I would asssume most southeners would think he is a New Yorker. As a New Yorker I think the Philly accent is completely different. My cousins who were raised in Philly arent even African American and their voices have some sort of twang in it. I agree that once you enter NJ the southern twang does end but there are older New Yorkers who have a southern twang.
That probably is true since most people don't have a good ear for accents since they're not focusing on it. Usually we do get lumped into the same category being that our region is small, but the accents vary where we are. You could hear mine, and I could hear yours. Unless they are used to accents like linguist, but usually aren't caring enough to pinpoint. For the same reason northeasterners usually think all southern accents are the same, but they're a few that differ its just hard to notice a lot. And, I believe segregation played a big role for the reason Baltimore, Philly, NY, and Boston have actually different accents than southern for blacks living outside of the south. Cus midwest blacks, and west coast blacks actually sound southern unless they're like a Inglewood black(sometimes), Long beach, or Beverly hill black. It depends cus in the hood they'll talk country like Tiffany Hashish.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:58 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Meek sounds perfectly Philly to me. Cassidy honestly sounds like he is from Boston-not even New York. I’ve always thought that.

He’s no Mike Bivins or Pooch Hall but yea he sounds like he’s ultra northern, especially in his mannerisms.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 07-30-2020 at 07:09 AM..

Old 07-30-2020, 11:44 AM

4,363 posts, read 4,560,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would say most black people in this country do indeed speak with a southern accent or dialect considering that over 50% of this nations black population resides in the South.
Those are all unverified opinions.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:15 PM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
Are we still pretending that midwest and West coast blacks sound exactly like black people in the deep south?

Old 07-30-2020, 02:06 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Are we still pretending that midwest and West coast blacks sound exactly like black people in the deep south?
Yes.

West coast black people sound less “southern” the further up the coast you go. Once you reach Seattle-they just sound like they’re from the northwest. Seattle blacks sound similar to Oaklands to me.

Cleveland blacks often sound totally northern too. Often but not always. I think you could say the same for Pittsburgh..

Old 07-30-2020, 04:56 PM

467 posts, read 427,340 times
As far as I know, such is because Black culture shares a lot of similarities with the Scots-Irish and English cultures of the South in general, unsurprisingly due to centuries of inhabiting a shared region. "Southern" culture as we know it today stems predominantly from these ethno-cultural groups, and you can see the similarities from the dialects and speech to the cuisine to religion/religiosity. Considering that the majority of Black people in this country were enslaved in the Southern US originally, it's also no surprise to see the cultural characteristics of said region spread and disseminate as Black Americans have migrated all across the US, such as with the historic Great Migration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.