Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2020, 07:54 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Those are all unverified opinions.
How? Most black people in this country are in the south so the majority of those southern blacks have a southern accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 09:34 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I know tons of AA's that live in California, the majority of them come from Houston and Tulsa, some from Memphis, that's why the black California accent sounds "southern. Hopefully someone in California can answer more thoroughly.
You can clearly hear the southern influence with Black people in Cali. Generally they're not that removed from their southern roots considering most moved to Cali during the 2nd wave of the great migration. I use to always tease Black people in Cali for having what I called a "proptry" accent. prop=proper/ try= country. It's definitely more closely relatable to Black folks from Texas/Louisiana and other states in that area of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Listen to Cassidy, he definitely has the Philly accent down to a science. Some of his words sound southern. Meek too. I can tell he's not from NYC or Boston. Those are the only two east coast cities where blacks have lost their southern accent. Stop acting like you've never heard the term Pennsyltucky.
Yeah I was listening to one interview of Cassidy and some of his pronunciation sound New Orleans-ish to me.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:12 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You can clearly hear the southern influence with Black people in Cali. Generally they're not that removed from their southern roots considering most moved to Cali during the 2nd wave of the great migration. I use to always tease Black people in Cali for having what I called a "proptry" accent. prop=proper/ try= country. It's definitely more closely relatable to Black folks from Texas/Louisiana and other states in that area of the country.

Yeah I was listening to one interview of Cassidy and some of his pronunciation sound New Orleans-ish to me.
There's nothing "New Orleans-ish" about Cassidy's pronunciation. Cassidy sounds overwhelmingly northern. Also, Black people from California in general sound very southern.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:14 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
There's nothing "New Orleans-ish" about Cassidy's pronunciation. Black people from California in general sound very southern.
They don’t sound very Southern but they do have a twang in their accent.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:11 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Cassidy sounds New Orleans ish? ? That’s a crazy statement. That man sound like he’s from Boston. If you’re unfamiliar with Boston, I’d accept NYC

Old 07-31-2020, 09:31 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Cassidy sounds New Orleans ish? ? That’s a crazy statement. That man sound like he’s from Boston. If you’re unfamiliar with Boston, I’d accept NYC
From the Boston videos you posted up in the thread I wouldn’t confuse Cassidy as a Bostonian. When he pronounces words like “over” “Dope” “go” it sounds similar to New Orleans pronunciation. Of course I’m not saying Cassidy sound exactly like New Orleans ppl, I’m just stating I hear some similarities in certain pronunciations. Some of it reminds me specifically of Brothas I hear from New Orleans East. I wouldn’t say Downtown or Uptown but New Orleans East. It’s not a strong similarity. I’m not saying that. Just saying I hear a hint similarity with particular words.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:59 AM

613 posts, read 327,779 times
Quote:
The "Yat" accent does sound Northeastern-ish though.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Cassidy sounds like he is from Philly. You're inadvertently pointing out how sometimes blacks from Philly, NYC and Boston can sometimes sound similar (though Philly, NYC and Boston each individually have their own different black accent).

Old 07-31-2020, 10:33 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Cassidy sounds like he is from Philly. You're inadvertently pointing out how sometimes blacks from Philly, NYC and Boston can sometimes sound similar (though Philly, NYC and Boston each individually have their own different black accent).
Meek Mill sounds Philly to me. He’s got some of those rounded sounds and just a hint of southern. Cassidy not so much- not quintessential Philly. Since that he’s in Philadelphia but I wouldn’t guess that if I didn’t know him. Based off odds and northerness id guess NYC.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Meek Mill sounds Philly to me. He’s got some of those rounded sounds and just a hint of southern. Cassidy not so much- not quintessential Philly. Since that he’s in Philadelphia but I wouldn’t guess that if I didn’t know him. Based off odds and northerness id guess NYC.
Meek or Cassidy both dont have the quintessential or most popular form of the the black Philly accent but they both have a variation of it. Also Meek doesn't even sound like he is from Philly when he actually raps, he has it more when he is speaking regularly. A prime example of a quintessential black Philly accent is actually closer to someone like Dion Waiters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7s_ow3...ature=youtu.be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.