Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 03:08 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Meek or Cassidy both dont have the quintessential or most popular form of the the black Philly accent but they both have a variation of it. Also Meek doesn't even sound like he is from Philly when he actually raps, he has it more when he is speaking regularly. A prime example of a quintessential black Philly accent is actually closer to someone like Dion Waiters.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7s_ow3...ature=youtu.be
Meek Sounds like he from Baltimore when he's tapping, thought, Baltimore and Philly accents are nothing at all alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 4,011 times
From my experience the black Philly is similar to how the man holding the baby in this video sounds like. Especially when he said "start shooting". Somewhat of a twang but not completely southern.

https://youtu.be/QdlaRBf_Gn0

Old 07-31-2020, 04:12 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Appeal View Post
From my experience the black Philly is similar to how the man holding the baby in this video sounds like. Especially when he said "start shooting". Somewhat of a twang but not completely southern.

https://youtu.be/QdlaRBf_Gn0
No. As someone experiencing being around, and being a born and raised still residing in black Philadelphian myself, Dion Waiters is the black born and raised Philadelphian accent to a tee. That guy that you are referencing doesn't even sound like he is from Philly. Other prominent examples of quintessential black Philadelphia accents would be Marcus and Markieff Morris, Bernard Hopkins, Young Chris, Oschino, Peedi Crack etc.

A quick Oschino and Peedi example

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g3qAvk...ature=youtu.be

No "twang" whatsoever.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:54 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
For the life of me, I cannot quite fathom why a thread about how black people talk and whether we mostly sound "southern" could go on for 87 pages. With everything else going on in thee world, is our speech really all that fascinating? Evidently it is, at least on C-D. Glad the real world isn't like this.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:13 PM

467 posts, read 426,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
For the life of me, I cannot quite fathom why a thread about how black people talk and whether we mostly sound "southern" could go on for 87 pages. With everything else going on in thee world, is our speech really all that fascinating? Evidently it is, at least on C-D. Glad the real world isn't like this.
Ok, Karen

Old 08-01-2020, 10:59 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Ok, Karen
Not only do we not all sound alike when we talk. We also don't think alike. Thank goodness.

In fact some of us don't think at all.

Last edited by citylove101; 08-01-2020 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-01-2020, 02:37 PM

467 posts, read 426,887 times
Quote:
Not only do we not all sound alike when we talk. We also don't think alike. Thank goodness.

In fact some of us don't think at all.
Aren't you special.

What's your damn problem with strangers on the internet discussing a cultural topic? Of course people aren't doing this in real life... that's why they're doing it on an internet forum... specifically and purposefully dedicated to discussing topics related to cities in the US...

"With everything else going on in the world" does that mean people can't discuss and talk about things that somehow aren't related to everyday survival/COVID/politics? Jee, I'm sure that we would be living in such an interesting world if that were the case.

You really need to find more productive things to do than complain about what other people do, or don't do, online. Get a life.

Old 08-01-2020, 03:21 PM

79 posts, read 42,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yes.

West coast black people sound less “southern” the further up the coast you go. Once you reach Seattle-they just sound like they’re from the northwest. Seattle blacks sound similar to Oaklands to me.

Cleveland blacks often sound totally northern too. Often but not always. I think you could say the same for Pittsburgh..
I actually had a guy from Baltimore think I was from Boston. I couldn't figure out why. I really thought he was just messing around with me. I agree a whole lot about Ohio cities too. The further I think Cincinnati the more flat and north American general sounding. Columbus, OH more southern. And most midwest cities sound southern unless they're from ther burbs. In the west coast Seattle and Portland definitely sound western no southern. But, in Cali people in Oakland, SF, LA area sound like someone with maybe a mild southern accent trying to be proper. Like there's western urban in there, but southern.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:26 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,607 times
Most of the posts over the past few pages focus on the variations within a distinctly southern derived accent/diction that dominates among black Americans. But there are many of us who dont have a hint of southern in our voice and are not distinguishable from non-blacks by speech. I find that it varies greatly by region. I have lived on both the east and west coast and can say that the middle-class western blacks tend not to have a strong southern derived speech. Whereas various east coast populations have obvious southern influence in speech, even as they vary regionally.

I find that broadly, the accent difference correlates with differences in culture, tastes and nuanced workings of the mind. The majority AA population with southern speech influence tend to also have other cultural affinities with southern roots (soul food, gospel music, protestant christianity, a bit of clannishness and ethno group insularity). Contrast that with the minority, distinctly non-southern AA population, who tend to have more eclectic tastes in music, culture and associate with other groups more fluidly.

Besides some areas of the west coast, you will also find areas of the upper midwest where a larger than average % of the black population has no discernable southern influence in speech and are not distinguishable from the whites in those regions.

Below is a clip from a gathering in Grand Rapids, MI. They dont sound much different from black Canadians like the actors in the 2nd clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9198BTeOWn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW7vvl9OB-Y

Last edited by TheArchitect; 08-01-2020 at 04:43 PM..

Old 08-01-2020, 08:19 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
With everything else going on in the world, I'd think a rather innocuous topic like would serve as a welcome respite, providing some sense of normalcy. *shrugs*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.