Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 01:37 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Yes.

West coast black people sound less “southern” the further up the coast you go. Once you reach Seattle-they just sound like they’re from the northwest. Seattle blacks sound similar to Oaklands to me.

Cleveland blacks often sound totally northern too. Often but not always. I think you could say the same for Pittsburgh..
Steve Harvey and Bone Thugs all sound country to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 01:39 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Steve Harvey and Bone Thugs all sound country to me!
Steve Harvey is originally from West Virginia though. For the most part I’d say most of them (75%) sound solidly northern a la Lebron.

Haven’t heard Bone Thugs interview butthey don’t sound southern to me when they sing.

Old 08-04-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
There's nothing "New Orleans-ish" about Cassidy's pronunciation. Cassidy sounds overwhelmingly northern. Also, Black people from California in general sound very southern.
Everyone hears that slight southern twang except you.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:48 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,092,306 times
Mississippi

Variations

Big Krit: http://youtu.be/4DPIQbrtx5U

Mayor Lumumba: http://youtu.be/HqnUn9jZOPc

Dirty Hand : http://youtu.be/A4ETOVn4YWM

Old 08-05-2020, 10:46 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Most of the posts over the past few pages focus on the variations within a distinctly southern derived accent/diction that dominates among black Americans. But there are many of us who dont have a hint of southern in our voice and are not distinguishable from non-blacks by speech. I find that it varies greatly by region. I have lived on both the east and west coast and can say that the middle-class western blacks tend not to have a strong southern derived speech. Whereas various east coast populations have obvious southern influence in speech, even as they vary regionally.

I find that broadly, the accent difference correlates with differences in culture, tastes and nuanced workings of the mind. The majority AA population with southern speech influence tend to also have other cultural affinities with southern roots (soul food, gospel music, protestant christianity, a bit of clannishness and ethno group insularity). Contrast that with the minority, distinctly non-southern AA population, who tend to have more eclectic tastes in music, culture and associate with other groups more fluidly.

Besides some areas of the west coast, you will also find areas of the upper midwest where a larger than average % of the black population has no discernable southern influence in speech and are not distinguishable from the whites in those regions.

Below is a clip from a gathering in Grand Rapids, MI. They dont sound much different from black Canadians like the actors in the 2nd clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9198BTeOWn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW7vvl9OB-Y
The first video I didn’t hear an accent at all. The last Woman who is originally from Grand Rapids but moved to Atlanta was the only one who’s accent stuck out. Honestly most of the young Women on the first video sounded no different than Black Millennials who grow up in the suburbs of a lot of Southern metros. They had general standard American accents if anything.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
The first video I didn’t hear an accent at all. The last Woman who is originally from Grand Rapids but moved to Atlanta was the only one who’s accent stuck out. Honestly most of the young Women on the first video sounded no different than Black Millennials who grow up in the suburbs of a lot of Southern metros. They had general standard American accents if anything.
Agree. They sound broadly middle class suburban. Could be from anywhere honestly.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:44 AM

79 posts, read 42,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Appeal View Post
From my experience the black Philly is similar to how the man holding the baby in this video sounds like. Especially when he said "start shooting". Somewhat of a twang but not completely southern.

https://youtu.be/QdlaRBf_Gn0
You don't usually hear anyone saying it like him. He almost sounding like a Baltimorean when he said it. Makes me wonder if he was originally from here. We do have a lot of ppl from Baltimore living here that may pick up our accent, but they're own accent starts to crack through. I could be wrong, but that wasn't the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
For the life of me, I cannot quite fathom why a thread about how black people talk and whether we mostly sound "southern" could go on for 87 pages. With everything else going on in thee world, is our speech really all that fascinating? Evidently it is, at least on C-D. Glad the real world isn't like this.
Relax bro. The post probably was started by an ignorant racists, who knows. It seems like most of us were just defending that notion. How can we not have different accents!?! Most movies never depicted our accents, just same southern accented actor portraying roles of urban cities the same way. No real coaching. It's a lot better today though, than back then. However, as a Philadelphian I've always been curious about how we talk in other cities. And, was shocked by how many west coast, and midwest cities do actually have country accents outside of the south. If I'm lying listen to Tiffany Haddish, or Tee Grizzly. It's like being from the Northeast is a different world because our accents shift city to city. And the Pacific Northwest has a broader accent that doesn't shift at all. But, both the NE and NW blacks lack a southern accent completely.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaM n.p. View Post
You don't usually hear anyone saying it like him. He almost sounding like a Baltimorean when he said it. Makes me wonder if he was originally from here. We do have a lot of ppl from Baltimore living here that may pick up our accent, but they're own accent starts to crack through. I could be wrong, but that wasn't the norm.

Relax bro. The post probably was started by an ignorant racists, who knows. It seems like most of us were just defending that notion. How can we not have different accents!?! Most movies never depicted our accents, just same southern accented actor portraying roles of urban cities the same way. No real coaching. It's a lot better today though, than back then. However, as a Philadelphian I've always been curious about how we talk in other cities. And, was shocked by how many west coast, and midwest cities do actually have country accents outside of the south. If I'm lying listen to Tiffany Haddish, or Tee Grizzly. It's like being from the Northeast is a different world because our accents shift city to city. And the Pacific Northwest has a broader accent that doesn't shift at all. But, both the NE and NW blacks lack a southern accent completely.
Nah! Blacks in Boston and NYC lack a southern accent completely. You are from Philly so its difficult to hear your own southern lite accent with certain words. Most New Yorkers and Bostonians think everyone sounds country.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Nah! Blacks in Boston and NYC lack a southern accent completely. You are from Philly so its difficult to hear your own southern lite accent with certain words. Most New Yorkers and Bostonians think everyone sounds country.
You're not lying. Most other black people definitely sound country to me.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:27 AM

79 posts, read 42,642 times
Quote:
Facts. I know what you mean. But, out of all the major northeastern and mid Atlantic cities we have the most subtle southern in our accent that only they'd notice because 95% of our words and voice tone is mid Atlantic. To anyone living below us, or west of us usually will think we're from NY because they're not aware that we share some of their features.They'll think we're tryna copy them not realizing Philly has it's own accent that also includes those features. I had someone from Baltimore think I was from Boston, no cap. Once you get to Baltimore the more the southern increases. Once you hit DC the accent becomes full on southern.

Whenever, I was in New York they'd only comment on a few words I'd say here and there. Most of them thought I'd sounded regular. And, I'm not one of those ppl that tried to fade or exaggerate their accent to blend in or stand out. Lol. But I've heard it all. We get told we talk proper from anyone with a country accent, and our east coast bros up top will say we talk a little southern. But truthfully speaking, our accent is far from southern cus if it wasn't I shouldn't be able to hear how country Minneapolis, Flint, Detroit, Chicago, St Louis, or Columbus, or DC sounds. I would think we talk no different. No one is gonna ask someone from Philly, what part of Georgia are they from. DC would be a different story. I always thought blacks outside of Philly sounded country. I wish more linguist studied this, but they were too busy being biased on white speech and all. We need more black linguist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.