Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times

Advertisements

Why is that most black people, regardless of the region of the country you're in, tend to have a southern accent? They may have generations of their family living in the north, where next to NO ONE has a southern accent, yet most of the blacks do. You can call it having southern roots, having family members from the south, but this exists almost everywhere, even when they have no family in the south and their family has been rooted in the north for generations.

Anyone care to shed light on this? Or is it just a cultural accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 12:35 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
I don't have a Southern Accent and I'm from the South. My family is originally from up north and have a northern accent. Guess you haven't met every black person.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
People tend to have the accent of those grow up with. Blacks in most areas tend to be somewhat socially segregated, so they keep their accent. Also, not being black but guessing, there might be a social stigma amongst blacks who lose their accents as someone rejecting their community or heritage.

Blacks I've met who grew in areas with few people don't have the accent, as they're mostly around non-blacks without an African-American accent.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:54 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
I grew up in the north with many blacks and it seems very many of them have roots in the south (ever go to baltimore?) , especially if you're just talking about the past 2 or 3 generations. The black culture is also very influenced by black rappers etc who are from the south. And I think the attitude has something to do with it to. The baptist/ prodestant culture helps to.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times
I'm pretty sure I don't have a southern accent.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:05 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,203 times
They don't have a Southern accent, though some similarities may be drawn between African American Vernacular English and a Southern accent.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:42 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Because most blacks lived in the Southern part of the United States for the first 100 years they were here in mass numbers. The dialect they speak probably goes back to the dialect spoken by their ancestors' slavemasters combined with their own African dialect.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Because most blacks lived in the Southern part of the United States for the first 100 years they were here in mass numbers. The dialect they speak probably goes back to the dialect spoken by their ancestors' slavemasters combined with their own African dialect.
We don't speak in any dialect.

The black people I know from Jersey, Philly, Chicago, New York, Minneapolis, and LA don't have southern accents.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Just to be clear I did not say ALL blacks have a southern accent, but the majority of them do!

If you meet a white person in the north with a southern accent, they were likely not born in the north, but recently moved to the north. However, blacks born in the north still often have southern accents. It may be cultural, it may be raised, I'm not exactly certain, but I know I cannot be the only person who has noticed this and questioned it.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:00 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
In my experience, African-American Vernacular English sounds more or less southern in different cities. In Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh, it is very southern influenced, for example. On the other hand, blacks in NYC and Boston don't really sound southern at all. In part I wonder if this is because the black communities in the latter two cities before the Great Migration were large enough that southern transplants learned to talk with the local dialect, instead of establishing one of their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.