Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:05 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monemi View Post
Amount and type of bike paths. Don't get me wrong, Toronto is not a haven for cyclists. A quick google will tell you that. And cyclists, pedestrians and drivers that fail to obey the laws of the road. I just find it amusing when someone films themselves doing it and then puts it up for the public to see.

It would be a bonus if Chicago were better for cyclists than Toronto is. But at least it doesn't appear worse so far.
I think it depends on where you are in the city. I can't tell from the video but I know the area they're going through and it's not as covered with bike lanes as some other parts of the city, but still not bad. There are a lot of people who bicycle on the streets though and apparently the city is known as being very bike friendly

This is from the City website at City of Chicago :: Bicycling. There's a video there too.

Quote:
Chicago has a national reputation as one of the best large cities in the United States for bicycling. The City of Chicago has achieved this goal by investing in bicycling infrastructure and promoting education, awareness and advocacy.
Chicago currently has more than 170 miles of on-street protected, buffered and shared bike lanes, many miles of off-street paths (including the 18.5-mile Lakefront Trail), more than 13,000 bike racks, and sheltered, high-capacity, bike parking areas at many CTA rail stations.
CDOT's Bike Program continues to look for ways to improve the bicycling environment in Chicago. Visit the Chicago Bike Program website for more information.
Looks like they have a master plan for 2020 in place
Quote:

The Chicago Streets for Cycling Plan 2020 calls for a 645-mile network of biking facilities to be in place by 2020 to provide a bicycle accommodation within half-mile of every Chicagoan.
The plan sets forth a comprehensive strategy to achieve Mayor Emanuel’s goal of making Chicago the best big city for bicycling in America.
It was developed through a community process, and identifies a network of on-street bikeways that will allow all Chicagoans to feel more safe and comfortable riding on city streets.
The Plan’s network was developed using three key principles:
  • to provide a bicycle accommodation within half-mile of every Chicagoan;
  • to provide more bikeways where more people live; and
  • to build more infrastructure where ridership is high, while establishing a strong backbone of infrastructure where ridership is currently lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,811,302 times
That's cool. Toronto was heading that way until we got lumped with Mayor Ford by the suburbs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone shuts that man up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.