Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times

Advertisements

"The West" is way to large of a region to compare to other regions....Comparing it to the Northeast is like comparing Vermont to the Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I was always impressed how green and lush the East Coast was but then I went there in March....it's pretty damn dead and brown looking that time of year. The West has areas that are very green and lush year round.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I was always impressed how green and lush the East Coast was but then I went there in March....it's pretty damn dead and brown looking that time of year. The West has areas that are very green and lush year round.
The East Coast has areas that are green and lush year round. But you should have come in April. That's when things start getting pretty.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:41 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
No we just have a lot more variety of beautiful and impressive scenery instead. No where back east do you find abrubt changes in environment, vegetation, colors, and scenery from one hour to the next like you do out West. From New England to the Carolinas it's the same consistant rolling hills from the Appalachians leveling out to coastal lowlands and the vegetation looks mostly the same, give or take a few moderate variations. Also so much of the forest of it is so thick it's hard to see the horizon over there, so our sunsets are better as well. We have pockets of lush greenery out west, mixed with a whole lot of other interesting scenery to look at. No comparison in my opinion. I'll take the dry climates as well, consistant sunshine makes me a lot happier and the Rio Grande bosque forest with the beautiful cottonwood forest feels like a long way from Mars to me, and the desert scapes are awesome, the raw earth is incredibly colorful and fascinating with it's rock formations, and the mountains peaks are equally as stunning.
Well, it's a matter of opinion and I happen to disagree strongly. I agree that the West has much more variety in landscapes and scenery, but none of those landscapes/scenery are better than what the East has to offer. As I've said, my favorite type of scenery -- high density temperate deciduous forest -- does not exist in the West. I need extremely heavy greenery to be satisfied with the outdoors, complete with humidity. I like it. As you've said, you have "pockets of lush greenery," but that's the exception to the rule. Here in the East, the rule is lush greenery almost everywhere you look, and I love it. It's also better for the skin and those who wear contact lenses, such as myself. When I was out west, I was struggling on a daily basis to keep my contact lenses moist enough. It was annoying as hell.

Even this map here proves that the West has no temperate deciduous forest. It just doesn't. So quit lying to everybody that the West has "everything that the east has," because it doesn't.

http://biomesfirst11.wikispaces.com/...us+Forest+Home

Old 02-26-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
The East Coast has areas that are green and lush year round. But you should have come in April. That's when things start getting pretty.
Where besides Florida? I've been in summer and have seen how green and lush it is, just pointing out how dead and brown much of the East Coast looks for a good chunk of the year.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Here in the East, the rule is lush greenery almost everywhere you look,
Except when everything is brown and dead for months at a time.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:02 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
This is such a ridiculous thread...the Northeast is the best depending on one's opinion. Anybody who says that "my region is the best, and I can name reasons why it is beyond debate the best and make my opinion fact" needs to realize that their opinion is just that: their opinion.
Agreed, the more I read this forum, the more I have this same conclusion. "Best" is subjective, and I would hazard most people prefer where they were born and raised, or they would have left. Opinions vary, someone may like brown landscape or prefer green, some will crave population density and urbanity, some (like me) crave peace and quiet. Doesn't make that person right or wrong.

I do think there are some aspects of life we can all agree upon, however: low crime, relative affordability, and education plus access to quality health care. The rest (and again, this is part of my own maturation and acceptance process) are completely subjective.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:32 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, it's a matter of opinion
That's what everyone has been saying all along, glad you are starting to get it.
Stating opinions is fine, presenting opinion as fact, not so much.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:32 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's what everyone has been saying all along, glad you are starting to get it.
Stating opinions is fine, presenting opinion as fact, not so much.
My original post was an OPINION and I knew that (although some of it IS factual). Then, everyone else comes into this thread and challenges my opinion. Isn't that how forums are supposed to work? If somebody else made a thread entitled "13 reasons why the West is the best region," I guarantee you the replies would be full of people that don't like the West and would challenge why it's NOT the best region. After all, this is City-Data forums

Ain't nothing wrong with a debate. Sheesh.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:36 PM

77 posts, read 154,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Except when everything is brown and dead for months at a time.
A significant percentage of trees in the northeast are evergreen, and grass stays green all year long. Brown is not a typical color in this area. Unlike the West and Southwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.