Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 02:03 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,794,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah but SoCal stays like that all year round. At least back east, the summer scenery is overwhelmingly lush and green and beautiful. That's why homeowners out West attempt to make their yard look like it's from back east, by putting lots of fake green grass and trees, to make it look lush and green.
The ignorance is ASTOUNDING. You are a piece of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 02:24 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
But where did the first civilizations flourish? India. Egypt. Mesopotamia. Generally-speaking, humans as a species do better in mild-to-warm temperatures with water nearby. This is a fact.

I never said ALL warm places are relaxed, or that ALL cold places are not relaxed. However, LA is more laid-back than, say, NYC. San Diego is more laid-back than DC. Honolulu and New Orleans are more laid-back than Chicago or Boston. San Antonio is more laid-back than Philly...get the picture?

When someone wants to take a "relaxing" vacation, how often do you hear them say "I want to take a relaxing vacation to Chicago"? Some do like going to a ski resort in Aspen, or to a cabin home (but cabin homes also are often done in summer, when it's warm). But generally, especially from big cities in winter, they are talking of going to Miami, Honolulu, Jamaica, etc. I don't know why you're arguing this; it's a well-known, obvious fact. And as I said, everyone has their own climate preferences. It's perfectly fine for you to prefer cold weather and the Northeast. But statements like "the Northeast is absolutely the best for EVERYONE because it snows and you can shovel the sidewalks" is a bit much...
And how do the countries near the equator rank currently? Again, tell me how the Inuit are better suited genetically for the tropics?

Great, people are looking for mild temperatures in the middle of winter. In the summer, everyone I know goes north for relaxation, which is where the mild weather is during that time. Who leaves Jackson Hole in July to relax in Houston? Mild temperatures are relaxing, and that means a different thing to every human. Laid-back has zero to do with heat and everything to do with you cherry-picking East vs West (regional cultural differences) and pitting large cities vs smaller ones.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:44 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
The ignorance is ASTOUNDING. You are a piece of work.
Well then why do people out west try to make their yards look lush and green? If they liked the drab, dry look of out west, wouldn't they leave their yards full of dirt and rocks.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Well then why do people out west try to make their yards look lush and green? If they liked the drab, dry look of out west, wouldn't they leave their yards full of dirt and rocks.
What do you mean? Lots of people like grass on their front yards. You think those out East don't have to water their grass? That is one of the dumbest things I've heard. And I went to New York and New Jersey in winter of 2013, and it wasn't green, AT ALL. It was cold, gray, and dreary, while back home in Los Angeles, it was sunny and the colors (green colors) popped.

I really wish you would stop talking about California, specifically Southern California as if you truly knew about it or even lived here for a long period of time.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
What do you mean? Lots of people like grass on their front yards. You think those out East don't have to water their grass? That is one of the dumbest things I've heard. And I went to New York and New Jersey in winter of 2013, and it wasn't green, AT ALL. It was cold, gray, and dreary, while back home in Los Angeles, it was sunny and the colors (green colors) popped.

I really wish you would stop talking about California, specifically Southern California as if you truly knew about it or even lived here for a long period of time.
Yes, but the greenery during the summer in the east is MUCH fuller, denser and greener than any greenery out west, with the exception of the PNW, which is on par with eastern greenery.

My friend who lives in SD right now complains about the "dryness" and "brownness" of SoCal. I didn't care for it either, when I went there.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, but the greenery during the summer in the east is MUCH fuller, denser and greener than any greenery out west, with the exception of the PNW, which is on par with eastern greenery.

My friend who lives in SD right now complains about the "dryness" and "brownness" of SoCal. I didn't care for it either, when I went there.
If your friend complains so much, why do they still live here?

And again, to call all of Southern California (not SoCal) brown is absurd and far-fetched. It's obvious you haven't traveled through all of Southern California, and your obsession with continually bringing it up is both weird and amusing.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
If your friend complains so much, why do they still live here?

And again, to call all of Southern California (not SoCal) brown is absurd and far-fetched. It's obvious you haven't traveled through all of Southern California.
She's moving to Florida in March. She just sold her condo (El Cortez building) in downtown SD and is building a house in Winter Park, FL. They can't wait.

I have traveled through I-8, spent 5 days in the SD area, with a brief trip up to LA, as well as the Inland Empire.

I'm not saying it's BROWN like Arizona or Nevada. It's mixed green and brown. There is plenty of vegetation, BUT it's not in the same league as the east coast, which has virtually no brown.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
She's moving to Florida in March. She just sold her condo (El Cortez building) in downtown SD and is building a house in Winter Park, FL. They can't wait.

I have traveled through I-8, spent 5 days in the SD area, with a brief trip up to LA, as well as the Inland Empire.

I'm not saying it's BROWN like Arizona or Nevada. It's mixed green and brown. There is plenty of vegetation, BUT it's not in the same league as the east coast, which has virtually no brown.
I'm guessing they couldn't afford San Diego?

So you didn't call Southern California brown? And as I guessed, you haven't spent a significant amount of time in Southern California to talk about it as if you know anything.

The East coast doesn't match the West coast in terms of geographical diversity, but that doesn't mean it's not diverse. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Old 01-08-2015, 05:14 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:

Yes, because for 3-4 months in the winter, it's just SO lush and green everywhere.

Please. I live here, and have for years before. It's gray-brown with bare trees and shrubbery just about everywhere, with the exception of a few shrubs or pine trees. In winter out West, even in the Desert Southwest, it is far greener because of that is the rainy season.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:17 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Yeah but SoCal stays like that all year round. At least back east, the summer scenery is overwhelmingly lush and green and beautiful. That's why homeowners out West attempt to make their yard look like it's from back east, by putting lots of fake green grass and trees, to make it look lush and green.
Again, this is ludicrous. SoCal doesn't stay like that year-round at all, with the exception of a severe-drought year. Firstly, during the rainy season (winter), the hills are lush and green.

Secondly, out East for 3-4 months in winter, everything is dead-looking. No greenery anywhere, besides pine trees and a few bushes. Out West, palm trees, pine trees, grass, and several kinds of bushes and other trees stay green all year round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.