Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 11:18 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Google included Hawaii in the West Region Lmao,I mean that's common sense but i see the inferior complex starting to show from NE posters.

Like i said 100 years ago it was the NE,But in today's time it's hard to compete with the South or West as a whole.

Next it'll be it's unfair cause of the size so the NE needs to include a portion of Alaska & Canada Smh.And that still won't matter.
Only a complete dumbass would think that any part of Alaska is in any way, shape or form, more a part of the Northeast than the West.

For the record, not saying Alaska should be counted as part of the west, it's its own region.

Last edited by Valhallian; 05-05-2016 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 11:28 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Qworld,

Are you the grear protector of the NE ? Lmao stop it already.You can have Alaska to be honest,Seems like size is what a few of you are complaining about now.

I broke it down & some got offended.
Without New York we noticed the Northeast doesn't stand a chance.But without Miami & Los Angeles the South & West still are great.

And it's not my logic of including Hawaii,Why don't you use a little thing called Google & stop crying ! Lol
",Hard to beat but i think California is the best state overall & when you throw in Colorado & Hawaii, it's the only region that can compete with the South for size & population."

Kobe25,

Are you the great booster of the West? Or is it just California? Sure seems like it. Other posters have called you out on easy logical problems with your argument, yet you still persist. This thread is about the Northeast sub-region, yet you continue to use massive definitions of the West and South to denigrate it, despite the fact that the Pacific Northwest is very different from Southern California, the Texas Triangle from South Florida, etc. If you persist and insist on using everything west of the Mississippi as your definition of the West, despite the quite different established regions within the West, what's to stop us from doing the same for everything east of the Mississippi? Miami, after all, is in the "East Region", to mirror your argument. The South would overlap with both.

Based on other posts from you in other threads, it seems you have a hard time honestly comparing regions/metros/cities in an apples-to-apples matter. You're always angling to slight one (typically in the Northeast) by using massive and/or gerrymandered definitions of geography. Even without New York City, the Northeast sub-region is quite competitive with other sub-regions of the United States. Here's the wiki link for a definition of the megaregions (read: subregions) of the United States by Richard Florida. Hell, you can even use the larger Census Bureau definitions of regions if you want to go big. In that case, even your beloved "West" is slaughtered by the South, so your quoted sentence above is still quite inaccurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megare..._United_States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

Old 05-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Only a complete dumbass would think that any part of Alaska is in any way, shape or form, more a part of the Northeast than the West.

For the record, not saying Alaska should be counted as part of the west, it's its own region.
That poster said that in jest, as a way to parody Kobe25's massive leaps in logic. I mean, part of Alaska is among the most Northeastern part of the world, so it automatically belongs in the Northeast United States, right? No one in their right mind believes that, but best believe if the Aleutian Islands had a massive metropolis there and Kobe25 was an irrational Northeast booster instead of a Western (California) one, he'd try to claim it lol.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:57 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
That poster said that in jest, as a way to parody Kobe25's massive leaps in logic. I mean, part of Alaska is among the most Northeastern part of the world, so it automatically belongs in the Northeast United States, right? No one in their right mind believes that, but best believe if the Aleutian Islands had a massive metropolis there and Kobe25 was an irrational Northeast booster instead of a Western (California) one, he'd try to claim it lol.
ah....I missed that haha. My bad, should've read the post history.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
ah....I missed that haha. My bad, should've read the post history.
No worries.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:06 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,670,588 times
Jk508,

Nah the poster was saying the West too big & that Parts of Alaska should be included in the East Lmao

Qworld,im not even waisting my time on reading your response because i really think your the Great NE protector Lol

Like i said just use Google my friend,The Op clearly stated regions,Not what part of regions & when i showed the South & West got more world class cities than all your bias whining began.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:02 AM

21 posts, read 23,898 times
I'm a young Northeast student from the Philly area.

I like some aspects of the Northeast. It gave me a good upbringing and educational opportunity, [maybe] a more aggressive and outgoing mindset in attaining my goals, and a genuine love for the little amount of nature I could see. I also think our ladies here are cunningly intelligent and extremely beautiful.

With all that being said, I'm torn about staying. It feels crowded, and although I've made great friends in my time here, a lot of people here feel rushed and abrasive. Everything is fast! Everything is success! Maybe as a sheltered college kid who stays inside studying a lot I'm biased, but I feel like I don't fit in. I find it symbolic when people here think it's REALLY odd that I spend hours at a time aimlessly walking around in nature [the little I have here]. I've also dealt with some insidious racism with liberals (I'm half-white/half-asian). One minute they could be preaching to me about Sanders, then the next minute throwing slurs at me. Again, I don't have much experience outside the Northeast, but I feel like this is a particular problem here amongst the youth. Conservatives from West Virginia and West PA treat me as equal, as odd as that might sound to some. I can joke with race to them, whereas lots of Northeast liberals my age would either avoid it or instantly amp it up to 11.

I've recently been really interested in the PNW. I absolutely love listening to Portland indie music, and can see myself going out to different indie venues every weekend and supporting hopeful musicians. I absolutely love beautiful coastal scenery, and Oregon seems to be near the top for that. I have also read that the people are just as asocial as here, which would suck if true. I've also heard about poor school districts and increasing crime, which are major downsides as I want to have a family someday. My family is in the northeast too, so I'll have to fly out to visit them. A lot of people are flocking to the PNW region and some complain it's already crowded, but living in one of the most densely populated regions of America I wonder if it's really that bad. I can drive for a long time here and not leave the massive suburban sprawl.

My final option is moving up to Maine. I like the colonial style of New England, can still live in a city named "Portland", have access to firearms, access nature, and deal with a less crowded environment.

I'm on the fence about it all. Is the Northeast the best? In my opinion it is up there. Definitely in standard of living and education. I've met a ton of extremely intelligent individuals who are on course to doing amazing things, and the Northeast drive probably helped catalyze their success. That being said, I might be suited for life somewhere else. The dream of Oregon/Washington is a bit iffy, but I also have Maine.

Damn, that sounded like a blog. Sorry y'all. Just some insight into the Northeast from a youth.

Last edited by myshkin; 05-06-2016 at 04:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.