Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,555,381 times

Advertisements

Chicago is kind of funny in that there (at least in the north/near west side) is a ton of black man/white female dating. Not to say there isn't much of the reverse, as this is a very socially liberal place, but it is noticeably disproportionate.

Frankly, I don't think interracial dating is hot topic in most urban cities these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 AM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Actually, much of the black population in the Seattle-Tacoma area is concentrated between the 2 cities due to a strong military presence. That's why there are more Black males than Black females in the area. If you go from say Central Seattle south, through those suburbs into Tacoma, that is the area I'm talking about. Everett and Bremerton have notable amounts of Black residents as well. So, it isn't as bad as people think it is.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Riley Children's hospital in Indianapolis Indiana is a premier children's hospital nationwide, very nice and very large complex they have there, highly recommended.

Chicago and Cleveland also have very highly respected children's hospitals.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM

92,035 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd say to add Columbus OH given what you are looking for. It is growing, has a pretty strong Black middle class, but is supposedly interracial friendly. Ohio State is located there and being that it is the biggest university by enrollment in the country, it offers plenty of programs.

A sleeper may be Ann Arbor MI for similar reasons as Columbus, but it is smaller. Detroit is close by though for that big city fix. University of Michigan is there and there is a great medical school there as well.
This may help too: C.S. Mott Children's Hospital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natio...ital_(Columbus)

Old 02-25-2013, 11:11 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,757,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Frankly, I don't think interracial dating is hot topic in most urban cities these days.
Yeah, I don't think most people in big cities here really care that much. You like someone, you date them/whatever. Simple as that....although yes people can be semi shallow sometimes but that has more to do with how you look, not what race you are. I'm sure there's some people who are definitely of the "No, only my race", but I think that's in the minority in most liberal US cities.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:14 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,757,300 times
Here's for Chicago. There's actually a children's center at U of Chicago in the Hyde Park neighborhood as well:

Lurie Children's Hospital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children's Hospital - At the Forefront of Kids' Medicine

Old 02-25-2013, 02:42 PM

50 posts, read 85,279 times
Thanks guys. I appreciate all the different opinions and suggestions. I am learning and taking everything in. It's nice to see people that actually love where they live.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:49 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,183,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The crime here in Chicago is not what it seems. Pretty much all that violence you hear about in the media happens in only a few areas (one on the south side and one on the west side...half-ish an area on the far southside). These areas, if you are making a decent salary, you'd not have a lot of reason to ever be in (a few, but not many). They are pretty far from the areas you would want to live in if you make a decent salary. Of course, the suburbs are even safer on average.

It is in no way rampant across the city though. Since 2007, 75% of the homicides have happened in 25% of the 77 neighborhoods (community areas). So for example, downtown Chicago is pretty much 5 miles away from any of these crime centers. It doesn't normally spill to the other neighborhoods usually. The media has painted such a grim picture of everything, and well in these areas if you have enough money, you probably will not be living in or around an area like Englewood (though there's some great old architecture there, but that's another story). Maybe it's not a bad thing and maybe it's one of the reason why rent in most areas of the city is much cheaper than NYC, Los Angeles, DC, Boston, and San Francisco for a world class city. Most of the crime is also gang on gang or drug trade related. Simply if you aren't involved in drugs or gangs, you have a greater chance of being hit by a car waiting on a sidewalk than you do being randomly targeted on the street for mugging.

You'd be surprised, most of the city is actually very safe on par or better than LA and NYC outside of these areas. Chicago has the 3rd most millionaires of any city in the US (not far behind LA actually) and some billionaires living downtown. If it was the warzone the media painted it as, they would have probably moved out of the city or made a mass exodus to the burbs by now.
Everyone says Chicago is a dump when in reality all my high school friends went to colleges in Chicago from Cincinnati(Wheaton, Loyola..) and they have some of the wealthiest suburbs in the country, their skyline is the best in the country, housing is extremely affordable, downtown and nightlife are thee best only after Miami, LA and NYC. We ave great beaches, 4 seasons, close accessibility to a lot of other cities, awesome museums, thriving young professional scene, gosh i could go on and on. Oh yeah and are shopping is superior.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Oh yeah and are shopping is superior.
Guess you didn't go to college there.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 PM

50 posts, read 85,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Guess you didn't go to college there.

Hey ColdAilment,

thanks for your input; but I don't need any grammar police to derail my thread.

Many thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.