U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 PM
 
281 posts, read 671,848 times
Reputation: 364

Advertisements

I find the people in Miami to be incredibly cold and in your face. I never experienced so much rudeness as I experience in the greater Miami area.

I find people in Southern CA to be generally friendly and this is surprising considering how stressful life is with the traffic, diversity and cost of living.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2013, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Near L.A.
4,114 posts, read 9,641,853 times
Reputation: 3391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
I find the people in Miami to be incredibly cold and in your face. I never experienced so much rudeness as I experience in the greater Miami area.

I find people in Southern CA to be generally friendly and this is surprising considering how stressful life is with the traffic, diversity and cost of living.
California is more laid back altogether than Florida. Having said that, extreme rural northern Florida and far northern (redwoods) California are more laid back than many places in this country.

However, within California itself, comparing metropolises, I actually find SoCal to be more laid back and yet as much of a rat race compared to the Bay Area. Weird, I know.

People in the Bay Area are not a smiley, welcoming bunch (although Oakland and Sonoma are somewhat exceptions). Some of the tried-and-true natives can be tough nuts to crack, but pretty likeable and nice once engaged. However, tech booms, expensive housing, and uber-social-activism have created a crappy social climate in this area. As a single man, I've never met or witnessed a more arrogant yet narcissistic collection of women in my life than I have in the Bay Area! Berkeley, Stanford, UCSC, UCSF, UCD, Santa Clara, SJSU, and USF are all great schools (and some locals are confident about this), but read on... Oh, and the Bay Area attitude can be found in nearby Sacramento, too, I've found.

L.A. isn't full of peachy Southern hospitality, either, but the vibe and "air" are happier and more welcoming (although the west side of L.A., south O.C. and Conejo Valley are exceptions). They seem even a little nicer than the Bay Area, and even if they're not, they just "cooler." That's the best way I know to describe it. Not to mention, between USC, Caltech, UCLA, UCI, UCR, Cal Poly Pomona, the Claremonts, Azusa, Loyola, Pepperdine, Chapman, and Marymount (and UCSB, which is a de facto L.A. school), L.A. has better options in higher education and is not so arrogant about it as some people in the Bay Area can be. Oh, and the L.A. ethos/laid-back-ness can be found even more so in nearby San Diego (although I don't find SD folks to be particularly friendly, but whatever...)

Florida is not my cup of tea. But, while California wins the coast category, Florida does win in beach quality.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 03-02-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,390 posts, read 25,593,032 times
Reputation: 5762
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
California is more laid back altogether than Florida. Having said that, extreme rural northern Florida and far northern (redwoods) California are more laid back than many places in this country.

However, within California itself, comparing metropolises, I actually find SoCal to be more laid back and yet as much of a rat race compared to the Bay Area. Weird, I know.

People in the Bay Area are not a smiley, welcoming bunch (although Oakland and Sonoma are somewhat exceptions). Some of the tried-and-true natives can be tough nuts to crack, but pretty likeable and nice once engaged. However, tech booms, expensive housing, and uber-social-activism have created a crappy social climate in this area. As a single man, I've never met or witnessed a more arrogant yet narcissistic collection of women in my life than I have in the Bay Area! Berkeley, Stanford, UCSC, UCSF, UCD, Santa Clara, SJSU, and USF are all great schools (and some locals are confident about this), but read on... Oh, and the Bay Area attitude can be found in nearby Sacramento, too, I've found.

L.A. isn't full of peachy Southern hospitality, either, but the vibe and "air" are happier and more welcoming (although the west side of L.A., south O.C. and Conejo Valley are exceptions). They seem even a little nicer than the Bay Area, and even if they're not, they just "cooler." That's the best way I know to describe it. Not to mention, between USC, Caltech, UCLA, UCI, UCR, Cal Poly Pomona, the Claremonts, Azusa, Loyola, Pepperdine, Chapman, and Marymount (and UCSB, which is a de facto L.A. school), L.A. has better options in higher education and is not so arrogant about it as some people in the Bay Area can be. Oh, and the L.A. ethos/laid-back-ness can be found even more so in nearby San Diego (although I don't find SD folks to be particularly friendly, but whatever...)

Florida is not my cup of tea. But, while California wins the coast category, Florida does win in beach quality.

I consider myself pretty laid back in terms of how I take life but definitely not a hippie or anything like that. Both areas are okay but I prefer the city life. I've lived in Northern Florida *and* Sonoma County and familiar with just about every small town or city in both areas. I agree with all your points.

Last edited by grapico; 03-02-2013 at 08:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2013, 06:41 AM
 
2 posts, read 4,916 times
Reputation: 10
I totally agree with all postings, I was born and raised in S. Florida North Miami Beach, but live up North now, (always wanted to live in Cali) S. Florida has changed very much since my days. The people were different, every one that lived in our neighborhood either moved west or North. People were so freindly, everyone knew everyone it was like family, it was once very nice, but the people changed, and others have moved in, you could even leave your front door opened, it's a melting pot and high in crime. Depending where I go when ever I visit there now, I feel affraid like I have to watch my back on a constant basis. I have many beautiful memories of how nice it use to be, it's kind of sad.
On an other note, the water was a beautiful blue, the palm trees, and and fruits, we had many fruit trees in our yard, bannas, avacados, kiwi, etc. It's still a very fun place, many things to do, Entertainment, beautiful beaches, restaurants, fresh sea food, we use to go blue crabbing, and come home and eat them fresh, water skying, so many things, but yes I agree the "people" in California are definetly more layed back, and peacful, more of the culture florida use to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,664,912 times
Reputation: 2136
Florida seems more Latin-Caribbean in culture, maybe due to the location and weather. California does have a Latin feel, but not as "in your face". Both areas are unique in that they have relaxed places (San Diego, Ft. Lauderdale) and more "rat race" places (Miami, LA). Both have some down-to-Earth people and superficial people. Miami feels more party-oriented, LA is more about seeing the stars. I'd definitely say LA has more to do, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2013, 03:17 PM
 
Location: 'Bout a mile off Old Mill Road
591 posts, read 690,763 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Florida seems more Latin-Caribbean in culture, maybe due to the location and weather. California does have a Latin feel, but not as "in your face". Both areas are unique in that they have relaxed places (San Diego, Ft. Lauderdale) and more "rat race" places (Miami, LA). Both have some down-to-Earth people and superficial people. Miami feels more party-oriented, LA is more about seeing the stars. I'd definitely say LA has more to do, though.
FYI, Ft. Lauderdale is not "relaxed" in the same respect as San Diego.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
5,302 posts, read 8,664,912 times
Reputation: 2136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
FYI, Ft. Lauderdale is not "relaxed" in the same respect as San Diego.
Maybe not in the same sense, but it felt laid back to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2013, 11:41 PM
 
811 posts, read 881,231 times
Reputation: 461
Two of the worst places, in terms of people quality, in the nation.

Southern California:

Tattoos are the rage. It seems like a majority of young adults these days are sporting tattoos in southern California. It makes them look TRASHY. You'd think that that southern California were the cesspool of civility. We're talking tattoos on arms, legs, necks, face, you name it.

Clothing style is horrible. Extra large baggy shorts, DC skater hats and shirts, or various other adolescent clothing that you find many people, even up into their thirties wearing. Over-grown, immature kids throughout much of Southern California.

Tweakers Galore

Trash Mouths. You hear more people saying, F-this, F'n, or whatever other gutter language in this part of the country than anywhere else. The vocabulary is very low.

Third World- The American young adults commonly display what's above, but they seem to be the minority to the third world army that has taken over the rest of southern California. Much of southern California might as well be Mexico. Fontana, Ontario, the entire eastern side of LA, pretty much the entire Inland Empire is occupied territory these days. You might see twenty percent, tops, that is American in much of this area.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could still act like southern California is anything but an area where politicians allowed the dregs of Mexico to take over approximately sixty percent of the populated areas, and where the American populace remaining has turned to drugs, tattoos, and various other forms of uncivility at alarming rates. If you find a decent place to live, it will be taken over within ten years, if it isn't already. Forget about sending your kid to a decent school. Probably only five percent of schools are even populated by a majority of American kids these days.


South Florida:

Talk about another crap hole.

Drugs: South Florida is known for being built on drugs. Degenerate behavior is the result of a large percentage of degenerate people,

Degeneracy

Crime

Third World: Miami-Dade might as well be cut off from America, considering how few Americans live in the country these days. Broward County is right there with them as well, and Palm Beach County is just a decade behind.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 AM
 
16 posts, read 23,195 times
Reputation: 14
San Diego and Miami are the most similar cities, but SoCal is more"Whats up dude" surfer type laid back, while SoFla is more old people and in your face jerks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2014, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
1,644 posts, read 2,736,088 times
Reputation: 1174
Any more opinions?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top