Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:42 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
The midwest, from Flattest to Hilliest (as measured by local relief, slope type and percentage of state) is more or less:

1. Illinois
2. Indiana
3. Minnesota
4. Michigan
5. Kansas
5. (tie) Iowa
7. Wisconsin
8. Nebraska
9. North Dakota
10. South Dakota
11. Ohio
12. Missouri
Probably why I have the idea it is flat and flatter than my specific area of Florida. 95% of my midwest experience is in an around Chicago and driving constantly through Indiana or Illinois. Iowa in my experience was far hillier in Illinois and was surprised when I saw quite a few wineries out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 03:35 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
The short answer is that those are both very small slivers of the state's total land area and the rest of Minnesota is flatter than the almost every other midwestern state.

Minnesota has the largest proportion of the flattest land classification with the least local relief of anywhere in the midwest except N. Dakota, which has a higher proportion of the state's total land mass in bigger hills. Over 1/3 of the Minnesota is in the flattest land classification possible, and over half of it falls into the one of the 2 flattest land classfications. To give you a comparison, less tha 1/4 of Kansas' total landmass falls into either of those classifications. Then most of the rest of Minnesota is the same classification the vast majorities of Iowa and Kansas. While the hilliest strip of Minnesota is hillier than anything in most midwestern states, the combined "hilly" regions of Minnesota are geographically smaller (in absolute terms) and relative to the total land mass of the state than any other hill region in the midwest, except Illinois, Indiana and Iowa. And Iowa is rolling terrain throughout 85% of the state.

Does that make sense?
I guess that makes sense....I mean lakes can't reside on hills easily!

Old 03-12-2013, 03:57 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Yeah, there's no shortage of beauty in Minnesota. Flatness is not an indictment, in my mind. Lots of people LOVE Florida and find it beautiful. And there's a lot of mountainous areas people fawn over that look like barren, rocky wastelands to me.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM

416 posts, read 700,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No it isn't, but around Chicago, it mostly is. Also, the stretch of
Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Ohio, Kansas are all pretty much flat the majority of the states and around the cities in them. Most of I-80 and I-65 is just straight up flat for 100's of miles. Many of the areas in the Midwest are flatter than parts of Florida or coastal plains even if they are at a higher elevation, the topographical variety is flatter. So, that is where it gets it's rep from.
Interesting as I-80 runs over the Cuyahoga river valley through the Cuyahoga Valley National Park; one of the top 10 most visited national parks in the country.

10 Most Visited National Parks -- National Geographic

National ParkRecreational
Park Visits
Great Smoky Mountains National Park (TN, NC)9,008,8302.
Grand Canyon National Park (AZ)4,298,1783.
Yosemite National Park (CA)3,951,3934.
Yellowstone National Park (WY, MT, ID)3,394,3265.
Rocky Mountain National Park (CO)3,176,9416.
Olympic National Park (WA)2,966,5027.
Zion National Park (UT)2,825,5058.
Grand Teton National Park (WY)2,587,4379.
Acadia National Park (ME)2,374,64510.
Cuyahoga Valley National Park (OH)2,161,185

Cuyahoga Valley National Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Ice Box Cave | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Blue Hen Falls - Cuyahoga Valley National Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sunset over the Cuyahoga Valley. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Brandywine Falls - Cuyahoga Valley National Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
AR has the three mountains ranges between the MO borher and Hot Springs.

IL does have prairie land. It's easy enough to find as 1-55 passes through it. Move 50 miles west and one finds cliffs, state and national forests. wetlands wild life refuge, Mississippi Flyway, high rolling hills, Illinois River Valley, Illinois Ozarks, all types of flora and fauna, outdoor outdoor sports, and a very large park systems.

Like hills? TX has a dandy 9degree monster on I-40. It also has a wonderful state park called Palo Duro Canyon that is very worth seeing. Don't forget White Sands National Park in NM and its mountains. AZ is flat too, but it also has some interesting mountains from Phoenix to is northern border. .

If you like hills tryI-70 to MO 20 and follow it south to Hermann.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If all one wants to see in Illinois is flat land and prairie then hop on one of the many Interstate routes. Drivers won't be terribly disappointed but they you won't learn much either.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:27 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times
Quote:
Patently, verifiably false.
I've lived in parts of the Midwest and driven across much of the area, and short of a few localized areas, I think it's true that it is indeed extremely flat. Maybe not quite as flat as a coastal plain, but still basically flat. I've driven across Nebraska from north to south, and east to west and it is very flat, short of a few river valley areas that have some minor rolling hills and the localized areas shown here out west or up north that have some hills. Same with South Dakota- I've driven that state in all directions and it is FLAT except for the Black Hills, Badlands, and a few localized areas along rivers that have some bluffs or hills. Same with North Dakota.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:44 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I've lived in parts of the Midwest and driven across much of the area, and short of a few localized areas, I think it's true that it is indeed extremely flat. Maybe not quite as flat as a coastal plain, but still basically flat. I've driven across Nebraska from north to south, and east to west and it is very flat, short of a few river valley areas that have some minor rolling hills and the localized areas shown here out west or up north that have some hills. Same with South Dakota- I've driven that state in all directions and it is FLAT except for the Black Hills, Badlands, and a few localized areas along rivers that have some bluffs or hills. Same with North Dakota.
few people would argue that the Midwest does not have flat areas, rather the argument is that not ALL of the Midwest is flat. If you think the Ozarks, Black Hills, or even the Driftless area of WI/IA/IL/MN is flat, you're seeing the world in your own special way. If a place does not have mountains as tall as the Cascades or something, that doesn't necessarily make them flat either. Similarly, if somebody from the Himalayas comes to the US and calls Utah flat, that'd be just as obnoxious.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
The midwest, from Flattest to Hilliest (as measured by local relief, slope type and percentage of state) is more or less:

1. Illinois
2. Indiana
3. Minnesota
4. Michigan
5. Kansas
5. (tie) Iowa
7. Wisconsin
8. Nebraska
9. North Dakota
10. South Dakota
11. Ohio
12. Missouri
MN, MI more flat than IA and KS?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:59 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Have to point out one thing about Nebraska...Omaha is hilly, and those hills aren't exactly what i'd call minor...not major, but not minor. As far as the Midwest overall, I'd classify it as flat to rolling hills. Saying the region is overall flat is a big mistake though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.