Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 08:32 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Thanx very much guys. Could I maybe add to the question:
What smaller cities with decent downtowns have good public transport?
I think Salt Lake City wins in that category. For a city with less than 200K it has a fairly large downtown area served by a very good public transit system with not only traditional buses....but also a light and heavy rail system and a new Bus Rapid Transit system.

About Salt Lake | History and Community Information
Utah Transit Authority
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 11:51 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think Salt Lake City wins in that category. For a city with less than 200K it has a fairly large downtown area served by a very good public transit system with not only traditional buses....but also a light and heavy rail system and a new Bus Rapid Transit system.

Utah Transit Authority
Salt Lake City's metro area has more than a million people so it is not what the OP was looking for.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Des Moines is just outside your size requirement (probably will break 600,000 by the end of this or next year), but it has a very good downtown for its size.

The normal DART bus service is okay. Nothing remarkable, but there aren't major gaps.
Area Route Map - Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority

However, they also run a really handy free shuttle downtown.
http://www.ridedart.com/FlashMap/maps/D-LINEM.swf
http://www.livingdowntowndesmoines.c...879476jpg.jpeg

And this isn't exactly public transportation, but Des Moines has the second-largest skyway system in the country after Minneapolis.
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4021/4...ea8d099008.jpg
That's very good to know. I know Des Moines has a good downtown, but I didn't know about it's transport network, so that's very good to know.

Quote:

Utah Transit Authority
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Salt Lake City's metro area has more than a million people so it is not what the OP was looking for.
Yeah, it may well have a lot of good stuff for a city with small city population, but it has those things because it's metro is significantly larger, so whilst thanks for answering, it's not really what I'm looking for.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it may well have a lot of good stuff for a city with small city population, but it has those things because it's metro is significantly larger, so whilst thanks for answering, it's not really what I'm looking for.
Just curious, but what do you perceive as a difference between a small city with a larger metro area around it and one of equal size without? Particularly if one is living within that city.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Just curious, but what do you perceive as a difference between a small city with a larger metro area around it and one of equal size without? Particularly if one is living within that city.
Well obviously, if a small city has a large metro, it tends to have more services which are befitting of a much larger city. SLC for instance, I imagine seems bigger, and has many more services than say, Lubbock, TX, which has a similar, though in fact larger population.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Well obviously, if a small city has a large metro, it tends to have more services which are befitting of a much larger city. SLC for instance, I imagine seems bigger, and has many more services than say, Lubbock, TX, which has a similar, though in fact larger population.
Correct, which for most would be considered a bonus. I'm confused regarding your parameters on this thread. Is it just for giggles are or are you contemplating a move?

Old 03-04-2013, 08:30 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,363 times
Baltimore's metro area is 2.7 million but its public transit system is actually pretty good by American standards even though it can't compare to the other four BosWash cities.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Correct, which for most would be considered a bonus. I'm confused regarding your parameters on this thread. Is it just for giggles are or are you contemplating a move?
I don't look at it that way at all. I don't look at, as in my example, SLC and Lubbock as equals and think 'SLC has the bonus of a large metro'. I look at SLC and Raleigh as metro areas and think of them as more or less equals, which happen to have differently sized core cities, which are pretty much arbitrarily defined. Most people I think would have no idea of what size population cities possess within their limits, and would think SLC and Raleigh similarly sized.

As for why I'm asking, I'm asking due to interest. Maybe that constitutes 'for giggles', but I would guess that most questions asked on here are asked due to interest rather than the desire to move. As much as I think about it often, I'm certainly not contemplating a move at the moment no, and maybe I never will, but the subject very much interests me.

It seems you're confusion stems from wanting to give me an answer which doesn't fit my question. This forum is for knowledge to be passed around as far as I see it, and I asked a question which your answer did not fit. Why does that confuse you?

Last edited by BruceTenmile; 03-04-2013 at 10:10 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Ithaca NY has a good system for a metro of a little over 100,000: Home : TCAT Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit

Syracuse(145,000, metro 660,000) and Albany(95,000, metro around 870,000) have pretty good systems: Welcome to Centro

CDTA: Capital District Transportation Authority

Both cover smaller cities in their metro areas/regions as well. Here are some other transit systems in smaller NY cities/metros: Public Transportation | Broome County, NY

Watertown, NY - Official Website - CitiBus

Great Glens Falls Transit

CCPT Route Information

Home

HOME PAGE

Home

CARTS

Olean Area Transit System

Welcome to Oneonta Public Transit
Some more from NY: Bus Schedules

Welcome to the Gloversville Transit

Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 AM

549 posts, read 848,463 times
I think Champaign-Urbana, IL has the best system per capita I've discovered.

Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District | MTD

They've got a HUGE leg up on transit technology. They've had digital displays at most stops for years, telling when the next bus is coming. In addition they've got apps to help you find when the next bus is coming on all major devices. They've also got MyRide, which is like a personal transit home page where you can list your favorite stops and upcoming departures. They've also got a wonderful multimodal transit center in downtown Champaign that offers three daily trains to and from Chicago. They've also got three pretty nice business districts: Downtown Champaign, Downtown Urbana, and Green St.

Also, Bloomington-Normal, IL is equally as compact, accessible, and vibrant. They're transit system is not nearly as nice, but they've got a fantastic transit center that offers 5 daily trains to both Chicago and St Louis as well as a new High Speed Rail station. They also have the best airport in Central Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.