Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 10:59 AM

666 posts, read 1,288,024 times

Advertisements

The United States is one of those few countries with tons of cities, and some states have two or more, or maybe one but the state itself is so varied that it is not only known for the big cities they have.

Yet, there are states that when you hear of them, the first thing you think about is the biggest metro area it has at it makes the rest of the state which could be a BIG AREA be ignored as if it does not exist. Then again, maybe some inhabitants of such areas prefer it that way so that the area keeps safe from riff raff and other problems that generally affect the big cities.

States that come to my mind:

NEW YORK. I mean, when someone says that he or she will go to New York, it is not really realistic to think he or she will go to Utica, Elmira, Albany, Rochester, Syracuse or even the Adirondacks. Most people who would go to these places will use the term "Upstate" before New York, otherwise, a person will ask you, "Will you be near Manhattan or are you stay far and then go to the city?"

ILLINOIS- Besides Chicago there is no other prominent area known in the state of Illinois. I haven't heard many people say they are going to Illinois. In fact I remember in a TV news program someone saying that he has never been in Illinois, but that he has gone to Chicago.

NEVADA- Reno and Carson City are seldom thought about to when you say you are going to Nevada. Not even Tahoe, people would think you are going to be in California if you say something about Tahoe.

WASHINGTON STATE- here is a bit different, because when you say you will go to Washington, it is implied that you would go to the CITY of Washington, in the east, pretty far from Washington, the State. Many people do not precisely go exclusively to Seattle when they go to the state since it has many things to do across the entire state.

MASSACHUSETTS- If you are in Springfield you know the area is opaqued by the Hartford metro area south in Connecticut.

GEORGIA- For me it is interesting that a state that has a shore in the southeast which means warmer waters, the settlers of the state decided to make the big city in the middle of nowhere very far from the coast, but somewhat, Savannah still has its touristic charm albeit being mostly opaqued by Jacksonville and Myrtle Beach nearby. But the big city in the middle of nowhere has grown to be quite unique and not really needing to be close to anything else. Actually I went there last night. Nice looking city in the night. I went before but it was yesterdat that I realized how big and strong the city is.

LOUISIANA- Does someone think about Baton Rouge, Lafayette or Lake Charles when you tell them you are going to Louisiana?

INDIANA- Even though Northwestern Indiana has a lot of people due to its proximity to Chicago, that part of Indiana does not have its own character, so when you say you go to Munster or Gary you would end up been asked "huh? Where is that?" And then you have to say "close to Chicago" who happens to be not in Indiana. So when people say they are going to Indiana only one area comes to mind, generally speaking.

States that have only one big metro area but who have "character" to not rely on the metro area to be known outside include Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Michigan and Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 11:07 AM

654 posts, read 1,906,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
The United States is one of those few countries with tons of cities, and some states have two or more, or maybe one but the state itself is so varied that it is not only known for the big cities they have.

Yet, there are states that when you hear of them, the first thing you think about is the biggest metro area it has at it makes the rest of the state which could be a BIG AREA be ignored as if it does not exist. Then again, maybe some inhabitants of such areas prefer it that way so that the area keeps safe from riff raff and other problems that generally affect the big cities.

States that come to my mind:

WASHINGTON STATE- here is a bit different, because when you say you will go to Washington, it is implied that you would go to the CITY of Washington, in the east, pretty far from Washington, the State. Many people do not precisely go exclusively to Seattle when they go to the state since it has many things to do across the entire state.
I disagree with this. When people here (Texas) say Washington, the follow up will be something like "I love Seattle!" or "I couldn't deal with all that rain!" If people mean Washington DC, they will say Washington DC.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I disagree with this. When people here (Texas) say Washington, the follow up will be something like "I love Seattle!" or "I couldn't deal with all that rain!" If people mean Washington DC, they will say Washington DC.
Maybe it is a regional issue, maybe the west considers Washington (alone) as the state while the east considers Washington the city.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,479,625 times
Quote:

GEORGIA- For me it is interesting that a state that has a shore in the southeast which means warmer waters, the settlers of the state decided to make the big city in the middle of nowhere very far from the coast, but somewhat, Savannah still has its touristic charm albeit being mostly opaqued by Jacksonville and Myrtle Beach nearby. But the big city in the middle of nowhere has grown to be quite unique and not really needing to be close to anything else. Actually I went there last night. Nice looking city in the night. I went before but it was yesterdat that I realized how big and strong the city is.
For a long time Savannah was the largest city in Georgia. It wasn't until the 1880s that Atlanta passed it. More so it was due to the fact that Atlanta sat at the junction of the railroads in the Southeast and closer to the other growing post-Civil War cities of the South that were industrializing.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 PM

8,954 posts, read 17,224,774 times
Quote:

ILLINOIS- Besides Chicago there is no other prominent area known in the state of Illinois. I haven't heard many people say they are going to Illinois. In fact I remember in a TV news program someone saying that he has never been in Illinois, but that he has gone to Chicago.
I hear of people going to Illinois all the time. I have found that if someone is going to Chicago, they say so. If they are going to another part of Illinois, they say Illinois.

Quote:
If someone says they are going to Washington, i have found it could go either way. More often, I hear people refer to the city as Washington DC. I am sure closer to DC that changes, but that is a common trait to most localities.

Quote:
LOUISIANA- Does someone think about Baton Rouge, Lafayette or Lake Charles when you tell them you are going to Louisiana?
Yes

Quote:
INDIANA- Even though Northwestern Indiana has a lot of people due to its proximity to Chicago, that part of Indiana does not have its own character, so when you say you go to Munster or Gary you would end up been asked "huh? Where is that?" And then you have to say "close to Chicago" who happens to be not in Indiana. So when people say they are going to Indiana only one area comes to mind, generally speaking.
I think most people have heard of Gary.

Quote:
States that have only one big metro area but who have "character" to not rely on the metro area to be known outside include Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Michigan and Connecticut.
If thread recycling were a crime, this thread would be in prison.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,830,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
For a long time Savannah was the largest city in Georgia. It wasn't until the 1880s that Atlanta passed it. More so it was due to the fact that Atlanta sat at the junction of the railroads in the Southeast and closer to the other growing post-Civil War cities of the South that were industrializing.
Savannah was also Georgia first city and capital of the state.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,295,490 times
Quote:
Maybe it is a regional issue, maybe the west considers Washington (alone) as the state while the east considers Washington the city.
Not really--especially since much of Texas could hardly be described as "The West". It's just that people typically say "DC" when they're referring to the city.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:58 PM

57 posts, read 101,897 times
Kansas is just the opposite. Nobody's mental picture of Kansas reveals about 1/3 of the Kansas City Metro.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuyno View Post
Kansas is just the opposite. Nobody's mental picture of Kansas reveals about 1/3 of the Kansas City Metro.
The problem with Kansas that that 1/3 of KC Metro Area is dulled by the other 2/3 which is in Missouri which at the same time is dulled by St. Louis. Kansas is not really a very mentioned state at all, together with Nebraska and the Dakotas.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 PM

607 posts, read 1,368,756 times
Maryland - Baltimore
Pennsylvania - Philadelphia
Delaware - Wilmington
New York - New York City
Massachusetts - Boston
Florida - Miami (?)
Washington - Seattle
Oregon - Portland
Illinois - Chicago
Louisiana - New Orleans
Indiana - Indianapolis
Nebraska - Omaha (?)
Utah - Salt Lake City
Colorado - Denver (?)

A (?) means I'm uncertain as to whether or not it really "dulls out" other portions of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.