Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 PM

51 posts, read 144,395 times

Advertisements

Sounds like poverty in paradise, haha. Definitely sounds like I should check out that part of California. I dream of living on an uncrowded coast with mild weather. If only it was 1950; we could all buy a house there for basically nothing.

I tried living in a college town after graduating and it was great except for the lack of jobs. It's sad, it's almost people are forced to live in big cities these days. Well nobody is forced but it is hard to make a reasonable living outside of one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:57 PM

890 posts, read 2,279,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratherbefishing View Post
Sounds like poverty in paradise, haha. Definitely sounds like I should check out that part of California. I dream of living on an uncrowded coast with mild weather. If only it was 1950; we could all buy a house there for basically nothing.

I tried living in a college town after graduating and it was great except for the lack of jobs. It's sad, it's almost people are forced to live in big cities these days. Well nobody is forced but it is hard to make a reasonable living outside of one.
Well if there were an abundance of jobs, I'm sure everyone would move there since it's so beautiful, not crowded, and on the coast. Then soon it would just turn into another LA or SF. Can't have it all!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:26 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,229 times
Austin Texas meets all your requirements except I am not sure about the bugs and the cultural thing. It's Texas so no gun control.. not sure about strip clubs though.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Austin Texas meets all your requirements except I am not sure about the bugs and the cultural thing. It's Texas so no gun control.. not sure about strip clubs though.
I should have mentioned in my OP Texas is also somewhat on our radar. One of the companies my husband works for is in Dallas. I have checked the Texas forum and do see a lot of threads about the mosquitoes, West Nile and all.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 671 times
My husband has a job opportunity in Pismo Beach area. This would involve a cross-country move as we live in Baltimore. We have three kids. One will graduate from high school in two years, one will graduate from college in two years and one is a rising 8th grader. My college student and I are extremely close and her university is only an hour away. My second daughter loves the ocean but she's sings in a conservatory choir and has great opportunities at her private school, as does her younger sister. I am very happy in a top-notch graduate school program unique to Baltimore. But husband has been unhappy with his salary and wants a change. He loves California. We all love California!

Assuming things work out with the job, I need advice about whether my should husband move ahead of us and I stay until my older kids graduate? BTW, my husband has been in a major midlife crisis for the past year, doing a lot of appraising of our 21-year-marriage. Or should I just bite the bullet now and say goodbye to my regular physical contact with my oldest daughter? I already miss her terribly and she's only an hour's drive away!

Part 2: I too love California. I have lived there myself, although in a much more populated city in Orange County. I'm freaked out by the idea of living in a small town. I've always lived in or near a big city. We went on a brief interview/house tour trip and the realtor told us many of the houses are vacant because they are second homes for retirees. So I guess it kind of comes alive in the summer?

Also, PLEASE, if ANYONE knows ANYTHING about the schools in the area, I would be so appreciative of any information and/or opinions. I know that there are a handful of public high and middle schools and one Catholic school. That's about all I know.

Is there enough to do in Pismo/SLO to keep things interesting? I am very glad to hear that it is not full of the superficial types you find in LA and SF, although one of the posts did say that a lot of the SLO folks were "stuck up." You get that anywhere I guess.

Thanks a lot!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:25 PM

35 posts, read 58,538 times
Beware of wanting to live in a perfect "utopia"

Old 05-28-2013, 03:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerCaleb92 View Post
Beware of wanting to live in a perfect "utopia"
That is good advice if for no other reason that today's utopia can change and become tomorrow's Hell. Not to say something that drastic will happen but places do change and if you are not adaptable, it can be disappointing. It's better to be a little flexible and not expect things to always be perfection.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:07 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
The one thing I noticed about a lot of bible belt states is that Gun shops, firework stands, strip clubs and adult book stores all seem to cluster around churches.

Believe it or not, California does have uncrowded and libertarian environments, and a lot of gun friendly communities. That being said, alot of the people that live in these communities tend to be whiners, complainers and afraid of their own shadows.

Outside of California, I've always liked the Coastal Carolinas.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:02 PM

35 posts, read 58,538 times
The bible belt does have awesome firework stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.