Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:15 AM

42 posts, read 147,990 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone-Due to a health issue I have in which I can't be out in humidity or heat realy I'm thinking about relocating so I can spend more time outdoors which I love and not have to be a slave to air conditioning almost half the year. I love it here in Philadelphia, I grew up here but the heat this past summer and up until now has made me reconsider my quality of life here since I have had to spend so much time in AC.

Here's what I'm looking for in a city:

1. Not too hot and low humidity-Philadelphia is way too humid

2. An educated population where there will be an opportunity for me to work in a higher education setting.

3. Somewhere where people are progressive rather than conservative.

I'd consider myself the stereotypical east coast, liberal, kind of intellectual, organic food eating type.

I know I don't want:

1. Anywhere in Massachusetts

2. Burlington, Vermont-too small

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 10:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Try Santa Fe, if you can afford it. Or maybe Albuquerque.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Try Santa Fe, if you can afford it. Or maybe Albuquerque.
Hey Steve-neither of those crossed my mind as I've never been to NM. Can you tell me why you suggested those?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:26 AM

152 posts, read 878,100 times
I'm assuming since you said you don't want to be a slave to the air conditioner, New Mexico might be out. Coming from the east coast, you might like Seattle or Portland...plenty of educated people/intellectual vitality, no humidity in the summer, and very green like the north east. Maybe San Francisco/Bay area if you can afford it. The Pacific Northwest is kind of like Vermont, but with more people and not as cold.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:27 AM

Well, neither of them are too hot, but are definitely very warm in the summer. They have mild 4 seasons, Santa Fe gets a little more snow, but it melts quickly. Both have low humidity and abundant sunshine as well. Santa Fe seems to be on the intellectual level youre looking for, ABQ a little less so (just based on my observations). Santa Fe is also extremely liberal and quite progressive, which youll like.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
I'm assuming since you said you don't want to be a slave to the air conditioner, New Mexico might be out.
True, but he also wants to be outdoors alot, and the constant dreary and rainy NW weather will most likely not be to his liking.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:29 AM

Thanks for your advice. I figured Seattle/Portland would be most like the east coast and would be the easiest place to make a transition to. I imagine that 20 years from now seattle will be as expensive as San Fran or Boston and have horrible traffic. Do you think thats accurate?

San Fran is too expensive I think, although I've never been to the San Jose area.

Why did you say New Mexico might be out? I can handle some dry heat in moderation but high humidity is what really is a problem for me. Thanks for your help.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Seattle or Portland would fit your bill. In truth, both get humid - but in the winter (during the rains) rather than during the summer. Here in Seattle I can count the number of hot, humid days I've experienced over the last 35 years (since I moved from the East Coast) on one hand.

Outside of the fact that it does tend to be gloomy here for much of the year, Seattle would almost certainly fit what you list you are looking for. It is pretty expensive though.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 10-24-2007 at 11:03 AM..

Old 10-24-2007, 10:42 AM

152 posts, read 878,100 times
The only reason I said NM might be out was because of the air conditioning thing. The cities that Steve-o mentioned might fit your other criteria quite nicely. They are both great towns. Very different from New England, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:42 AM

So out of the places you guys mentioned-New Mexico, Portland, Seattle- which would you say is the least humid? I'm assuming that the weather in New Mexico is somewhat similar to Las Vegas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.