U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose one
Denver, CO 13 19.70%
Kansas City, MO 11 16.67%
Atlanta, GA 4 6.06%
Omaha, NE 3 4.55%
Dallas, TX 7 10.61%
Chicago, IL 28 42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:27 PM

19,191 posts, read 21,215,274 times

Advertisements

Nyc

Who cares about being centrally located. Is Moscow, Paris, London, Berlin?

The only one I can think off of the top of my head that is is Madrid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM

63 posts, read 124,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
The Denver Federal Center in Lakewood, CO, a Denver suburb. Building 710, during the Cold War, was a bunker complex built to be able to house the essential employees of the complex in the event of a nuclear war. Building 710 contained all the supplies that the General Service Administration would need, meaning that basically all federal agencies could be run from the site. The Denver Federal Center was, and still is, the largest concentration of federal agencies outside of the Washington, D.C area.

Bare in mind, this was all Cold War stuff. Building 710 now houses regional offices for FEMA, and no longer serves the purpose of being a fallout shelter. That means that there's not really evidence indicating that today Denver would be any sort of "emergency captial." In fact, there's no evidence indicating it ever would have been able to house the legislative (a facility for that purpose, "Project Greek Island," existed in West Virginia) or judicial branches, just that it could operate various federal departments and agencies like the FBI and FEMA. Building 710 was added to the National Registrar of Historic Places for its significance as Cold War-era architecture.
Thank you for the informed response. I was well aware of the various "Command and Control" facilities along the front of the Rockies, as well as the large federal government presence there - making it an obvious place for many functions. It looks very logical on a map as well. I guess my point was that in the event of such a debilitating action as a nuclear strike on Washington DC, the US capital does not simply get up and cleanly move as it might in the computer game "Civlization". But an interesting tangent on an otherwise opinion-based thread.

And my choice for an alternate capital would probably be Philadelphia - I just want to throw a bone to that fallen city.....

Old 03-09-2013, 10:55 PM

3,733 posts, read 7,390,943 times
Houston. Biggest city in a state that everything is bigger in. Don't mess with Texas. (Although this may have a negative effect on the already leviathan government. Do we really want them bigger? So on second thought, maybe not. lol).

Old 03-10-2013, 12:58 AM

7,465 posts, read 9,629,841 times
I hate coming here and just pulling for my home town... but in this case I gotta do it.

First, DC should always remain the capital, all the history is there.

but I believe Atlanta is ideally located. It has a few unique qualities.

It is the only place in the US with a major hub airport that can say they can reach over 80% of the US population [home airport] within a 2 hour flight.

You can almost draw a perfect circle around Atlanta and hit Chicago, South Florida/Miami, the Texas Triangle, and the Boston -> DC corridor. Most of the cities major cities that aren't on the west coast would fall along that line or slightly within. Most of the medium size metros fall within as well. It very much has a central location....relative to population.

It actually has a larger than average mass of federal gov't jobs already thanks to the Federal reserve bank, CDC, and a federal court, Census Bureau

It isn't right on the coast, so it has a slight inland defense, but it isn't too far away either and most the population is near it. It is well situated in a region with a high amount of military bases.

We have good bones to start with. A metro system linking the airport directly to our business cores.

What I fully admit... Like many other cities in the US that aren't in the northeast, we don't have iconic colonial infrastructure. We would need (as well as all other cities mentioned) to restructure large portions of our city recreate wide boulevards and more room for government districts and places for embassies to locate in high concentrations.

Although, I can fully imagine over time some streets of Buckhead with the large Southern mansions on large lots could become high end fenced embassy compounds.

We, like most other cities mentioned, don't have the high concentrations of monuments one would find in DC. We also don't have large open spaces for open public spaces for national civic purposes. Most all cities don't. The National Mall is a true jewel in that is the nation's park and provides a real civic function. It isn't just a large park for DC as a city.

But in the end.... One thing I will say. I do think we should start exporting more components of our federal government to more cities across the US. Create more redundancy and generate more investment elsewhere. DC has a fairly high cost of living now and I'm realizing they do so well, because they have such a high percentage of high paying jobs the government creates... as well as attract private business that rely on the government more.

To some extent that can't be helped... but to another... spread the wealth a bit. Like someone mentioned throw a bone to Philadelphia. It has great bones and is apart of our history.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:11 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,201,135 times
I suppose I'll contribute an opinion to this thread by suggesting Kansas City. It's near the geographic center of the continental US near Lebanon, Kansas, and near the modern day center of population which is currently near Springfield, Missouri but slowly moving westward.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:33 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,474,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I wonder if PA would have provided some land like Virginia did (originally). There's no way Virginia would have ever allowed a capital in NJ, but it's interesting.

I'd imagine DC would have never been burned. The British would have had to sail up the Delaware river, which would have been a lot trickier.
Havre De Grace, MD was also considered a location for the Capital of the United States. Havre De Grace is located just north of Baltimore and about an hour from Philadelphia.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:23 PM

630 posts, read 940,309 times
Ny!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:03 PM

287 posts, read 316,267 times
It should be Philadelphia--for God's sake the Declaration and the U.S. government were established here!

Old 03-10-2013, 06:35 PM

793 posts, read 989,345 times
Saint Louis.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 PM

9,304 posts, read 19,807,528 times
I vote for Adak, Alaska.

Maybe if we put it somewhere so far away (where you can see Russia from your back yard) and hard to get to, we can down size the federal goverment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.