U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose one
Denver, CO 13 19.70%
Kansas City, MO 11 16.67%
Atlanta, GA 4 6.06%
Omaha, NE 3 4.55%
Dallas, TX 7 10.61%
Chicago, IL 28 42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 02:36 PM

12,239 posts, read 12,610,958 times

Advertisements

I vote Kansas City. It's centrally located and still has the room to build a new capital region unlike Chicago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 11:33 PM

9,846 posts, read 14,695,550 times
I've read that if Washington DC were to be destroyed, like in a nuclear strike, then Denver is designated as the backup to be the new capital city.

In most countries, the capital is also the largest city.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:32 AM

5,103 posts, read 3,181,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
KC is the closest of these to the center of population (which is in Missouri) and it is the only one that is really "without a region". It wouldn't be considered too "Eastern" by westerners (like Chicago or Atlanta might be and like DC often is considered by westerners right now)....nor would it be too far "Western" for easterners (Like Denver or Dallas, despite Dallas only being marginally further west than KC). Also it wouldn't be overly "Northern" for southerners (Chicago and possibly Omaha) or "Southern" for northerners (Dallas and Atlanta again). It would be the Goldilocks of capital regions.
I know the person who posted this in 2013 probably isn't gonna respond, but is this actually a thing Westerners ever say, that DC doesn't represent them because it's so far east?

In my experience the big tension out here is between California and the rest of the Western states, or between red and blue states in general, not between the Western and Eastern US.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:16 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
7,209 posts, read 6,025,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've read that if Washington DC were to be destroyed, like in a nuclear strike, then Denver is designated as the backup to be the new capital city.

Where have you read this? Like what article/site specifically?

Old 04-07-2021, 04:25 PM

4,647 posts, read 4,081,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Well NORAD was based out of CO Springs, and that was the presidential retreat into Cheyenne Mountain in the event of a nuclear strike. There's been stirrings of people saying that NORAD and DIA are connected, many of them swirled in the numerous conspiracy theories that abound from both places.

I don't think Denver would make a good capitol. Guess it's good we didn't get nuked There's very real limits of growth there where you quickly run into eastern CO wasteland or really REALLY bad smog. Really nowhere in the west works. In the Rockies spots are too isolated or have growth limits. The west coast has the geography to work, like Salem OR would be a great spot, but culturally there would be problems; half of C-D would roll over and die if they heard DC was doing a relo to Sacramento... But more seriously, it's just too disconnected from the general American, the plains + Rockies separate that part of the country too much.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:04 PM

30,199 posts, read 41,279,469 times
Put it in Kansas. Start from scratch. Center of the country, as far as you can get from enemy missiles (Korea can't reach Kansas with what they have so far, nor can Isis)

Transportation is no longer an issue. It's no longer important to have sea shipping access.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:37 PM

13,725 posts, read 7,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

My personal preference that is not listed is Cairo, Illinois
We would be confused with Egypt. Cairo can hardly even be Cairo these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I think if DC wasn't the capitol, it would/should be either New York City, because it's the largest city and economic capital, or St.Louis, because of it's central location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post

I think if the capital were to be moved then somewhere like St. Louis would be a good location. It is the traditional Gateway to the West and is more centralized. It is relatively close to the major midwest cities such as Chicago, Detroit, and Minneapolis, but still within a day's drive of short flight from the east coast cities. Also, because it is midwestern it would be less objectionable to the southern states than a northeastern or western city. It has a rich history and for many decades was a top ten US city.
Once upon a time, as the story goes, St. Louis was being eyed as a possible new capital in 1869. It was centrally located, a big city for its day, more secure from invasion, a river and later a rail hub. The tale that the Old Courthouse dome in St. Louis was the model for the Capitol dome is false as they were completed at about the same time -- both resembling St. Peter's dome in the Vatican. St. Louis had a tremendous fire in 1849 that caused the city to be rebuilt as a mostly brick city by ordinance (there were clay mines close by). It began being eclipsed by Chicago by the 1880s (Chicago, itself, was rebuilding after the 1871 fire).

Old 04-08-2021, 01:59 PM
sub

4,489 posts, read 2,531,316 times
Denver, possibly.
Kansas City seems most obvious.
A central location would be nice. The poster saying something like "Moscow seems to work okay"... Well, we aren't Russia and California isn't Siberia. Our population is spread out much more evenly and still continues to nudge westward.
The population center of the U.S. is in southern Missouri, not far from KC.
There is a very noticeable disconnect between D.C. and anything that's not east coast.
Culturally, Kansas City has elements from all directions north, south, east, and west, and a lot of all of them. Kind of a rare blend, honestly. Perhaps Dallas seems a little bit similar in that way.
If starting from scratch with the geography we otherwise have now, Kansas City seems the most logical.

Old 04-08-2021, 02:04 PM

35,663 posts, read 62,964,360 times
Denver for me.

Old 04-08-2021, 02:21 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,955,833 times
Chicago is the most central city with by far the most infrastructure in place to support a nation's capital, as well as two major airports to support it, therefore it makes the most sense.

I could also see Dallas or Kansas City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.