Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 06:15 PM

571 posts, read 1,932,618 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Houston, TX (grew up there) and currently in Los Angeles, CA. I love the weather in L.A. and the HUGE variety of things to do but not the traffic, people, or cost of living.

I want to live somewhere that is rural, suburban, and urban all at once. Let me explain: The type of little sleepy street you see in the movies or on House Hunters on HGTV where people are jogging and waving to their neighbors and you can walk to shops and maybe a farmer's market or a park but the lots are large and green. Where kids still play outside and ride bikes. I am thinking a small city is the best way to wrap these all up in one.

I would ideally like someplace that snows a few times a year. But that still has sunshine and warm weather at least some of the time. The more outdoorsy stuff the better - lakes, mountains, beaches, etc.

Lots of families would be great. And young parents. Where I live in L.A. all the parents even of toddlers are in their 40s. I'm 25.

It doesn't have to be SUPER liberal but at least nice, friendly people that are not ultra conservative - and the more culturally diverse the better. Someplace where people have pride in their city and stay a long time.

And a good cost of living. Median home price of no more than 300k. Decent 2br starter home in the 200s or even below if possible!

Does this exist..?? Hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 06:23 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
In Oklahoma City, most people are married with kids by age 22, so you would definitely fit in as a young parent. I can't recommend this city as a very desirable place to live though.

I would look into places like Portland, Seattle, or Austin. Also, don't overlook the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Check out Asheville, NC...North Asheville in particular.

The Spirit of Asheville - YouTube

Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Except for the degree or volume of the weather Ithaca NY would fit. Visit Ithaca, NY - Official Site for Ithaca, NY & Tompkins County
Ithaca Map, A Map with Ithaca Neighborhoods and Areas of Interest - New Employees - Recruitment & Employment - Ithaca College

Downtown Ithaca NY - YouTube

A couple of sleepers may be these two communities: Home | City of East Lansing Michigan

Home In The City of Rome, NY

East Lansing is where Michigan State University is located and the campus has its own farm, but the Downtown area is urban. It is technically a suburban, college town of Lansing. Public schools are good and diverse culturally.

Rome is the second biggest city in terms of land in NY State, that encompasses urban, suburban and rural areas all in one due to the city limits. It is close to the Adirondack Mountains, Sylvan Beach and state parks. Public schools are decent/solid and have some diversity, but there is also private options in the city and close by as well. It had an Air Base at one time too.

Overall cost of living in both is around, if not a little below the national average. Both have Farmers Markets as well.

Here's another sleeper that I believe gets a little more in terms of sunny days, but fits pretty much what you are looking for: Glens Falls is full of things to do, delicious restaurants, and numerous places to shop for everyone in your family or friends.

and another NY sleeper: Welcome to the lively and historic city of Oneonta, New York
Welcome to Sweet Home Oneonta - Visit Oneonta NY
Welcome to Oneonta NY! | Oneonta, New York 13820

Some others you may want to look into are: the Blacksburg and Charlottesville VA areas, Knoxville TN and Boone NC, among others. Hopefully, other posters will come up with more possibilities.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,841 times
The winter weather would be an adjustment, but the Twin Cities fit your criteria very nicely.

You won't be sacrificing urban vitality or vibrancy, but you'll still get a nice low cost of living, lots of sun (even in the winter), fantastic farmers' market and park systems, lots of beautiful walkable neighborhoods with Midwestern friendliness.

Why We're Here: Twin Cities - YouTube

Last edited by steel03; 03-07-2013 at 10:23 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 03:32 PM

Wow those are some great and cheap options so far..!
I am definitely looking into those.

Anyone got anymore?

Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM

Something like this

Zillow TV Commercial: Find Your Way Home - YouTube

Old 03-20-2013, 08:51 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,273 times
While the weather isn't exactly what you're looking for, I feel like Madison, WI fits your urban/suburban/rural all at once description. It's pretty liberal, and as far as I know it's cheap as well.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Certain areas of Chicago definitely fit your bill (except for maybe the budget part) such as Andersonville or areas like North Center, Lincoln Square/Ravenswood, North Park, Irving Park, Jefferson Park, Edison Park, etc. I could blindfold you and drop you in Andersonville and you'd have no idea you were in the middle of the 3rd largest US city. What's in your video above though is pretty suburban only because of the huge yards it's showing. You aren't going to find yards that big in the middle of most cities.

However, Chicago is flat and stuff and there's no mountains. If you don't mind driving an hour or two north then there are ski areas in Wisconsin. More SW of there are some hiking areas too. Chicago also has beaches that are actually warmer than the water in many parts of LA in the summer. It snows, but not as much as you'd think, Boston averages more snow than Chicago for example.

Cost of living in areas is actually less expensive than you might think. SFHs in some parts are expensive, but in others you might be able to find what you're looking for for your budget. You would get more bang for your buck in an actual suburb though of most sizable cities though for sure.

Other than that, I might tend to agree with Asheville. Twin Cities for sure but it snows more than just a little there and the same as Madison.

Last edited by marothisu; 03-21-2013 at 01:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.