Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Meh. Not like the others. Cleveland's Irish population is more like StL's (slightly lower than KC's even, which is not a particularly Irish city), under 10% and they were never the cultural force in Cleveland that eastern and southern European immigrants were.
Maybe that's why Cleveland went down the toilet then. Savannah is an ''Irish'' town? I think Chicago is dominated by eastern Europeans as well. Boston, NY and Philly were Irish towns. Currently, Cleveland city Irish population is low but so are the other cities listed. There is more of an Irish influence in Cleveland than St. Louis and KC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
A whole lot of Catholicism co-opted from other religions (including St. Patrick's day).
Mithraism?

Old 03-12-2013, 10:45 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,164,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Maybe that's why Cleveland went down the toilet then. Savannah is an ''Irish'' town? I think Chicago is dominated by eastern Europeans as well. Boston, NY and Philly were Irish towns. Currently, Cleveland city Irish population is low but so are the other cities listed. There is more of an Irish influence in Cleveland than St. Louis and KC.
I have no idea if there's more of an Irish influence in Cleveland than KC/StL. Seems like KC is more influenced by its Irish-American culture than StL, but its seems like a pretty hard thing to measure in any quantifiable way. Certainly you can tell gross differences between places, but the rest is probably nuance. I tend to doubt there's more pronounced Irish culture in Cleveland than KC, but I don't guess its the kind of argument anybody could really "prove" in the way you could prove that there's more pronounced Irish culture in Boston, than KC (or Cleveland or wherever).

I can see your point as well in Chicago, but it had more numerous, bigger, more distinct and more isolated Irish neighborhoods for a lot longer than Cleveland, which never really saw significant Irish influx in the way a lot of "more" Irish cities did.

Savannah is an oddity, but it (and Charlestown and NOLA) were big ports of entry in the 19th century and I know a lot of Savannah's historic Irish population is attributable to the railroad. Cleveland boomed as an industrial powerhouse after the biggest waves of Irish immigration and concurrent to the big waves of southern and eastern European immigrants and I think that's likely while its cultural make-up has always seemed to me at least, to be more colored by those groups.

Either way, its cool that they have such a big parade and make such a day of it.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I have no idea if there's more of an Irish influence in Cleveland than KC/StL. Seems like KC is more influenced by its Irish-American culture than StL, but its seems like a pretty hard thing to measure in any quantifiable way. Certainly you can tell gross differences between places, but the rest is probably nuance. I tend to doubt there's more pronounced Irish culture in Cleveland than KC, but I don't guess its the kind of argument anybody could really "prove" in the way you could prove that there's more pronounced Irish culture in Boston, than KC (or Cleveland or wherever).

I can see your point as well in Chicago, but it had more numerous, bigger, more distinct and more isolated Irish neighborhoods for a lot longer than Cleveland, which never really saw significant Irish influx in the way a lot of "more" Irish cities did.

Savannah is an oddity, but it (and Charlestown and NOLA) were big ports of entry in the 19th century and I know a lot of Savannah's historic Irish population is attributable to the railroad. Cleveland boomed as an industrial powerhouse after the biggest waves of Irish immigration and concurrent to the big waves of southern and eastern European immigrants and I think that's likely while its cultural make-up has always seemed to me at least, to be more colored by those groups.

Either way, its cool that they have such a big parade and make such a day of it.
I hear you, but having lived in Cleveland, Chicago, New York and Philly, Cleveland's Irish culture is right up there. San Francisco is another city people are surprised to hear has a large Irish and Italian population; again, immigrant patterns. When Gerry Adams first came to the states looking for money, he went to Boston, New York and Cleveland.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:51 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
New Orleans Should be on the list.
Thanks. From I can tell via Google, New Orleans looks completely legit.

I'm thinking my new list is:

Boston
NYC
Chicago
Cleveland
Philadelphia
Savannah, GA
New Orleans
Kansas City
St. Louis

Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,109,486 times
Savannah had a huge wave of Irish immigration in the 19th century. Its Catholic community has always been larger (as a percentage of Protestants) than that of other Georgia cities. There's a "Diocese of Savannah" for a reason, and Savannah Catholics are still mostly of Irish extraction. Savannah's St. Patrick's Day Parade has long been one of the largest in the U.S. for a reason; the city was traditionally one of the largest concentrations of Irish Catholics in the Southeast.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:54 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,370,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
New Orleans Should be on the list.
I agree.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:24 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
I knew a lot of Irish boilermakers from Cleveland.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I knew a lot of Irish boilermakers from Cleveland.
Very true; just don't say Cleveland is a good Irish town because you'll be shouted-down. I knew some folks from Boston and they called Cleveland's West Side ''Little Dublin" (even though Mayo dominates and in particular Achill).

Old 03-15-2013, 11:22 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,660 times
St. Patty's Day in Savannah, GA is the best I've ever been too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.