Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:04 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,843 times

Advertisements

A summer high of 50 in Maine? Unlikely. Average summer highs are between 70 and 80. And the east coast is more humid, so going for a swim is almost essential
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 01:01 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
I live in the Pacific NW & often take for granted how beautiful the scenery can be here. I only really realize it when I return from another region, or in the Spring & summer when to me, it's not too cold or wet to walk outside. I like the evergreen trees, the snow capped mountains, the proximity to the coast. There's lots of deer in my neighborhood & I live just 35 minutes north of Seattle. It's probably still one of the few places where one can truly live in an urban area but still be surrounded by nature in such a preserved fashion. However, when I lived in Southern California & when I go to warmer hotspots, I take the time to appreciate the presence of palm trees & true beaches, albeit often amidst smog...Washington state air & drinking water is the best!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:29 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
A summer high of 50 in Maine? Unlikely. Average summer highs are between 70 and 80. And the east coast is more humid, so going for a swim is almost essential
Really? well I guess those darn guys on the weather channel suck. I used to watch it all the time, there was this one strong storm that scared me into knowing what what coming before it came.
but whatever you say... I've never been there...

Old 02-04-2008, 06:21 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
I wish Maine had summer highs of just 50*!! I hate heat and would be very happy at that temperature

Maine typically has a lot of 75-80* summer days; and a few that approach 90* but happily they are very few. It's usually cooler along the immediate coastline by, I would guess, at least 10* so a hot summer day sitting by the ocean is wonderful.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,861,708 times
So far, I've been to 33 states, and 1 Canadian provence, British Columbia. The Pacific Northwest is beautiful, but no place tugged on my heartstrings like Maine.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:14 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Sounds like upper Maine to me. Not on the coast, but up into the "wilds" past Acadia National Park.
Maybe near Moosehead Lake or Baxter State Park.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:14 PM

30 posts, read 47,232 times
if you aren't white (which you aren't) be careful with oregon, they have a racist core to the government that will not folow up on claims of any incidents of racism or abuse, did i mention that i was talking about the police?!? actions have NEVER been taken for discipline against portland police that i'm aware of, so if you as an asian man were profiled or beaten by the police, nothing will be done to those who hurt you. if you are attacked verbally/physically by the citizens, then you've been warned, oregon has a BIG problem with neo-nazis, they have events in oregon publicly stated as such. though people protest, if the government/citizens REALLY wanted that crap out of oregon, i think it could be arranged

Old 02-05-2008, 05:23 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlandisracist View Post
if you aren't white (which you aren't) be careful with oregon, they have a racist core to the government that will not folow up on claims of any incidents of racism or abuse, did i mention that i was talking about the police?!? actions have NEVER been taken for discipline against portland police that i'm aware of, so if you as an asian man were profiled or beaten by the police, nothing will be done to those who hurt you. if you are attacked verbally/physically by the citizens, then you've been warned, oregon has a BIG problem with neo-nazis, they have events in oregon publicly stated as such. though people protest, if the government/citizens REALLY wanted that crap out of oregon, i think it could be arranged
I am shocked to hear you say this especially since your name is so pro-oregon. I'm just curious to see if anyone agrees with you or if you're the only one that feels this way.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Ok, I am looking for a state, one that is truely amazing, please read my description and maybe suggest the state which most closly resembles it, I am thinking Pacific North West or New England at the moment but I may be wrong who knows.

I am looking for a place with ancient forests, bright, healthy trees reaching up into the sky, wearing coats of moss and acting as home to small creatures, snow topped mountains pertruding high above everything else you see, crystal clear lakes that look clean enough to drink from, where animals of all sizes come to taste the fresh liquid, somewhere where in spring baby animals skip about happily and people can hike through mountainside forests, and recieve friendly greetings from someone they hav never met before, where in summer you can camp outside without worry of being attacked during the night and children can swim in the clear lakes under the blue sky and bright sun, where in fall scarlet leaves cover the ground like drops of golden blood falling from the sky and in winter, clean, powdery snow coats the streets waiting to be played with ontop of the rolling hills... =)
Sounds like you want New Jersey.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-29-2009 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: copyright infringement - DMCA Complaint

Old 02-05-2008, 06:40 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Sounds like upper Maine to me. Not on the coast, but up into the "wilds" past Acadia National Park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Maybe near Moosehead Lake or Baxter State Park.
Wow, those are the "upper" wilds of Maine? I have to drive 140+ miles south to reach Baxter State Park. Moosehead Lake is another 60 miles south for me. LOL. I can leave my house and drive for 2 miles on pavement, then the next paved road I cross is 20 miles away, after that first 2 miles, there isn't a public road until I hit Quebec 90 miles later. No towns, no gas stations, nothing but woods roads and logging trucks.

Actually there are very few areas of Maine that fit the OP's desire to see ancient stands of trees reaching to the heavens. It has been logged off several times, and there are very few stands of old growth left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.