U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City with highest percentage of Yuppies?
Boston 12 11.65%
DC 23 22.33%
Chicago 5 4.85%
Philly 4 3.88%
NYC 15 14.56%
Toronto 0 0%
Miami 1 0.97%
San Francisco 27 26.21%
Seattle 16 15.53%
Vancouver 0 0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:56 AM

9,965 posts, read 15,593,724 times

Advertisements

I'd say Seattle is probably near the top for a city above half a million people, more so than Portland. Portland has a lot of yuppies in the inner eastside and NW neighborhoods, but you get into N/NE portland north of Killingsworth or east of 82nd it's pretty working class or full on poverty--and on the edges on the eastside or parts of SW Portland it's fairly average middle class or almost redneckish in parts. Seattle on the other hand has many of it's poorer or more diverse areas outside of the actual city limits in places like White Center or Tukwila just over the border from neighborhoods like Rainier Beach that are in the city limits. Much of Seattle to the east or north of downtown and including most of the northern neighborhoods feels pretty yuppie--even West Seattle has become gentrified. There's also the fact that Seattle has a better economy and thus a larger professional class.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,078 posts, read 45,777,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
He's asking about percentages, not raw numbers. Yuppies make up a small percentage of the city's 8.4 million inhabitants.

San Francisco just edges out DC, imo. Then Portland or Seattle after that. Then Boston. Then Chicago, maybe, followed by LA/NYC with Philly bringing up the rear.
I'd place Portland further down the list, perhaps second to last. It's not a poor city, but not flowing with money either, nor is particularly status conscious. Portland felt like hipster central and SWPL but not yuppie. Vancouver seemed a bit flashy & yuppie, not sure where to place it.

Quote:
I considered that. I'm obviously just winging this and it's not an empirical study I conducted. But I put Chicago ahead of NYC/LA because it's much smaller (as a city and a metro).
But I'd guess the amount of yuppie is proportionally smaller with respect to its population, I'd think a lower percentage than NYC.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 PM

29,782 posts, read 28,717,155 times
It would be nice if we get could get maps with varying shades of red indicating the percentage of yuppies. Perhaps green could represent the percentage of hipsters.

This map does a decent job of describing our nation's capital. The large green chunk on the map is Yuppie heaven with a few minor exceptions. The area dubbed "Notyetworth" is a mix of working class and ghetto, but the Yups are rapidly heading north to buy up the last of the remaining rowhouse housing stock in Northwest DC. This area would be shaded light reddish/pink. "CSPANistan" is a Yup haven with the exception of its far eastern fringes, which will be a Yup haven in the years to come. It would be strong red. "Sacramento" would be in between "Notyetworth" and "CSPANistan" as it's really a neighborhood of college students/professors, yuppies and middle to working middle class black people.

The "Liquorridor" would have a slightly greenish hue since the U Street/Adams-Morgan easily attracts the highest number of faux-hemians. But I'm not so sure about that since the Yuppie population is so large.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 PM

22,402 posts, read 34,150,172 times
Quote:
It would be nice if we get could get maps with varying shades of red indicating the percentage of yuppies. Perhaps green could represent the percentage of hipsters.

This map does a decent job of describing our nation's capital. The large green chunk on the map is Yuppie heaven with a few minor exceptions. The area dubbed "Notyetworth" is a mix of working class and ghetto, but the Yups are rapidly heading north to buy up the last of the remaining rowhouse housing stock in Northwest DC. This area would be shaded light reddish/pink. "CSPANistan" is a Yup haven with the exception of its far eastern fringes, which will be a Yup haven in the years to come. It would be strong red. "Sacramento" would be in between "Notyetworth" and "CSPANistan" as it's really a neighborhood of college students/professors, yuppies and middle to working middle class black people.

The "Liquorridor" would have a slightly greenish hue since the U Street/Adams-Morgan easily attracts the highest number of faux-hemians. But I'm not so sure about that since the Yuppie population is so large.

Is this a new census rubic

What color would toothless prostitutes be, bet Philly would have the largest section this color

Old 03-12-2013, 12:16 PM

29,782 posts, read 28,717,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'd place Portland further down the list, perhaps second to last. It's not a poor city, but not flowing with money either, nor is particularly status conscious. Portland felt like hipster central and SWPL but not yuppie. Vancouver seemed a bit flashy & yuppie, not sure where to place it.
I could see that...though I've never been to Portland. I just threw it out there because people seem to go NUTS over Portland.

Quote:
But I'd guess the amount of yuppie is proportionally smaller with respect to its population, I'd think a lower percentage than NYC.
It's tough to say. If you don't spend a lot of time in Manhattan, it's tough to get that impression. There's absolutely nothing Yuppie about the Bronx and that's nearly the size of Philly. Not much Yuppiness going on in Queens. If we're discounting hipsters, then Brooklyn's percentage goes WAY down. And even then, we're really only talking about Brownstone Brooklyn for the most part. The rest of Brooklyn is rather prole.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,585,263 times
Quote:
Portland seems wildly status conscious to me, pathologically concerned as a culture with consumerism as self-expression, but I agree its not a the types of status-symbols I would associate with yuppiedom.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,078 posts, read 45,777,819 times
Quote:
It's tough to say. If you don't spend a lot of time in Manhattan, it's tough to get that impression. There's absolutely nothing Yuppie about the Bronx and that's nearly the size of Philly. Not much Yuppiness going on in Queens. If we're discounting hipsters, then Brooklyn's percentage goes WAY down. And even then, we're really only talking about Brownstone Brooklyn for the most part. The rest of Brooklyn is rather prole.
True, but you could say the same about Chicago, I think. And the income spectrum of NYC is skewed a bit towards the higher side in NYC.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:41 PM

22,402 posts, read 34,150,172 times
Maybe some relevant and interesting data

http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/acs-16.pdf

Old 03-12-2013, 05:09 PM

463 posts, read 1,547,556 times
Quote:
True, but you could say the same about Chicago, I think. And the income spectrum of NYC is skewed a bit towards the higher side in NYC.
IMO when I moved from DC to NYC I was actually shocked to see the very low percentage of yuppies. Probably because NYC has SO MANY different types of people (origin, ethnicity, SES, etc.) living in all neighborhoods and all boroughs in which brought down the percentage of yuppies. Even in Manhattan.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 PM

852 posts, read 1,065,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKirby View Post
As cities (in N.A.) seem to get more urban, which one do you feel (or have statistical fact) has the highest percentage of Yuppies? I tried to limit the list to very high population density as well as cities that have been proclaimed urban. Give reasons if wanted. Otherwise a poll will suffice.

Boston
DC
Chicago
Philly
NYC
Toronto
Miami
San Francisco
Seattle
Vancouver
You're missing Portland on this list of options.

Although I wouldn't put it top of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.