Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 09:40 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumkkin View Post
Well, yes...my standard IS San Francisco.

SF is a truly LIBERAL city, its population, government, voting patterns, social mores, sexuality, expenditures, social services, religiosity, and budget.

New Orleans LA doesn't come close, and is highly Catholic. Miami is full of practicing Catholics and conservative Hispanic nuclear families and traditions. Asheville is an island surrounded by "North Carolina" true southerners...lots of Baptist conservatives.

Yes, the standard bearer for truly liberal cities is in fact San Fran, and then perhaps Seattle.

NOWHERE in the South comes close....not even tiny St. Augustine. Keep in mind, Miami supported very conservative Marco Rubio....another example of conservative Hispanic culture.
Since when is the extreme used as the standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 09:43 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
If what you want is "Old Hippie" towns there are some of those -- Eureka Springs might be an example.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:43 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
I view a truly liberal area as one where people who don't fit the mold, whether they be gay, nerdy/non athletic, autistic, or athiests/non church goes can go through life without ridicule or scorn, or bullying.

The south doesn't fit that at all

Old 07-24-2016, 09:49 AM

22 posts, read 23,527 times
Additionally perhaps we should make a distinction between liberal cities and "LEFTIST cities".

SF, of course, qualifies as both.

Another argument could be made that no city in the state of FLORIDA aren't southern other than by geography, certainly not Miami, Boca, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, Jupiter, Tampa, St Pete, Sarasota, Bradenton, Naples or Ft Myers........Tallahassee is another animal, so is Jax.

What I'm saying is that the South is not monolithic, even within the same State. For example I would contend that Huntsville AL is more "liberal" (even progressive) than Montgomery and Birmingham. Having said that I would not label Huntsville/Madison a truly liberal city either.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Since when is the extreme used as the standard?

Since they cast the mold...a "first" of sort. Again, there are no truly liberal cities in the SOUTH.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:53 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
I had an acquaintance back in the '90s who went into his County Clerk's office (Florida panhandle) and wanted to register as a Democrat. The Clerk refused because he would be disenfranchising himself -- 'Democrats don't run for office in that county or if they do they never win' was the rationale. He persisted and was finally allowed to register as a Demoocrat. I'm guessing that the attitude hasn't changed a great deal in some of those areas -- but even the Democrats are right-wingers anyway.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:59 AM

Well...the Panhandle might as well be Alabama or south Georgia..Jax might as well be Memphis on the water.

As I said, I *might* consider Key West as being sorta liberal, but it's not a conventional city ANYWAY.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:58 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,127,744 times
IMO, Seattle is more liberal than SF these days with passing things like 15$ minimum wage. Seattle also doesn't have a large NIMBY liberal elitist segment that has shades of old school conservatism or what some like to call "Neoliberalism" like SF does these days.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:29 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,390,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I view a truly liberal area as one where people who don't fit the mold, whether they be gay, nerdy/non athletic, autistic, or athiests/non church goes can go through life without ridicule or scorn, or bullying.

The south doesn't fit that at all
i've never witnessed gay, autstic, atheists, being ridiculed or scorned in the south in 35 years. i don't think atheists / non church 'break the mold', you just have a stereotype that most people in south are religious.

a few nerdy / non athletic where picked on when i was young but that happens everywhere.

where have you lived in the south? I see you talking about it a lot. you make a lot of assertions about people in the south but it does not seem possible that you know most of them.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:08 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
i've never witnessed gay, autstic, atheists, being ridiculed or scorned in the south in 35 years. i don't think atheists / non church 'break the mold', you just have a stereotype that most people in south are religious.

a few nerdy / non athletic where picked on when i was young but that happens everywhere.

where have you lived in the south? I see you talking about it a lot. you make a lot of assertions about people in the south but it does not seem possible that you know most of them.
I never lived in the south, but most of my mothers family lives in TN and NC and I would go down there. And I occasionally pull loads to the south as a favor (Western 11 driver). It is righr leaning religious in those parts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.