Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 PM

122 posts, read 180,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
South Florida!
Really? I'm from south Florida. Born and raised and I'm also black. But I'll be the first to tell you that south Florida isn't a very progressive region for black people. Most black people down here either live in the hood or the ones who are middle class and do have money assimilate into neighborhoods with other ethnicities. There really aren't any prominent neighborhoods for black young professionals or the black middle class like Atlanta, Dallas, charlotte, Chicago, or pg county. Which is why I'm looking into possi ly relocating after I soon earn my certs to be a network administrator. I was looking into places like Nashville, Dallas, and Raleigh as they frequently come up as hotspots for tech jobs. And they also have sizable black populations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 05:48 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinikal View Post
Really? I'm from south Florida. Born and raised and I'm also black. But I'll be the first to tell you that south Florida isn't a very progressive region for black people. Most black people down here either live in the hood or the ones who are middle class and do have money assimilate into neighborhoods with other ethnicities. There really aren't any prominent neighborhoods for black young professionals or the black middle class like Atlanta, Dallas, charlotte, Chicago, or pg county. Which is why I'm looking into possi ly relocating after I soon earn my certs to be a network administrator. I was looking into places like Nashville, Dallas, and Raleigh as they frequently come up as hotspots for tech jobs. And they also have sizable black populations
This is kind of surprising. What about other parts of FL?

Old 06-25-2013, 06:11 PM

87 posts, read 180,789 times
Columbus.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:23 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Seattle because of such racial diversity here. One of teh most welcoming places in america for any race or nationality!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:31 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
To the OP and anyone else with a similar search. Why not make a list of places with your requirements for Living, Jobs, Weather,Schools, Cost of Travel, Religion, Politics, Sexual Orientation... the whole spectrum and weight everything on how much you personally care about that subject. And one by one run cities through the test. The winners will eventually come to the top of the heap. Do all your research and then decide. I'm of the mindset that being oridinary is boring and I don't want it. Like previously mentioned Atlanta, DC, Chicago are always the leads in this search amongst African Americans and they are all well and good. BUT they are also so overdone and ordinary/safe there are tons of areas which also compete well and where and individual might actually stand out more as progressive, unique and up and coming and not get overshadowed.... That's where I would look... places like the Carolinas boom cities Raleigh, Charlotte, Texas...Dallas, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:19 PM

85 posts, read 318,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
To the OP and anyone else with a similar search. Why not make a list of places with your requirements for Living, Jobs, Weather,Schools, Cost of Travel, Religion, Politics, Sexual Orientation... the whole spectrum and weight everything on how much you personally care about that subject. And one by one run cities through the test. The winners will eventually come to the top of the heap. Do all your research and then decide. I'm of the mindset that being oridinary is boring and I don't want it. Like previously mentioned Atlanta, DC, Chicago are always the leads in this search amongst African Americans and they are all well and good. BUT they are also so overdone and ordinary/safe there are tons of areas which also compete well and where and individual might actually stand out more as progressive, unique and up and coming and not get overshadowed.... That's where I would look... places like the Carolinas boom cities Raleigh, Charlotte, Texas...Dallas, Houston, Austin, Phoenix, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Denver, Seattle.
thank you so much for suggesting that people look for a place that suits them as an individual, and not suit them merely because they're black. finally, a post in one of these threads that makes SENSE.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Good points and to be honest, other cities may have what people want regardless of region or if they are "hot" or not. Many areas have middle class mostly Black or diverse neighborhoods. So, as long as you are open and have set criteria, you can be fine anywhere.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:20 PM

122 posts, read 180,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is kind of surprising. What about other parts of FL?

Well I hear positive things about Jacksonville and how there are a few opportunities there, but again I'm not entirely an expert on that matter because I pretty much have been in south Florida my entire life. But just browsing around the Orlando, Tampa, and fort Myers forums I see many posters there echoing the same sentiments and problems that occur down here. That most available jobs are in the service and healthcare sector. And the jobs you do find, the wages are low compared to where they originally came from and the cost of living is still pretty costly as well. That seems to be what the general consensus says of Florida. And doing salary comparisons on my own, at least as far as the IT industry is concerned, no city in Florida pays as well as the median incomes in Dallas, Raleigh, Atlanta, and Nashville. And mind u the cost of living is relatively low in the those places compared to many cities in Fla.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:24 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morcellement View Post
thank you so much for suggesting that people look for a place that suits them as an individual, and not suit them merely because they're black. finally, a post in one of these threads that makes SENSE.
I said as much in post #7 on the very first page of this thread.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinikal View Post
Well I hear positive things about Jacksonville and how there are a few opportunities there, but again I'm not entirely an expert on that matter because I pretty much have been in south Florida my entire life. But just browsing around the Orlando, Tampa, and fort Myers forums I see many posters there echoing the same sentiments and problems that occur down here. That most available jobs are in the service and healthcare sector. And the jobs you do find, the wages are low compared to where they originally came from and the cost of living is still pretty costly as well. That seems to be what the general consensus says of Florida. And doing salary comparisons on my own, at least as far as the IT industry is concerned, no city in Florida pays as well as the median incomes in Dallas, Raleigh, Atlanta, and Nashville. And mind u the cost of living is relatively low in the those places compared to many cities in Fla.
I see what you are saying. Here is a list you may be interested in: Northern California enjoys nation's highest salaries - The Business Journals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.