Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 04:54 AM

18 posts, read 83,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is Jacksonville up there? As for Pittsburgh, what about parts of the East Side and some of the Eastern suburbs? Nashville may be up there. To be honest, you can find your criteria to some degree in any metro with at least a notable amount of diversity/Black people. I will say and may have to review this, but the Ithaca NY metro may have the highest percentage of Blacks(25 and older) with a Bachelors Degree or higher.
I have lived in the Pittsburgh area for over 20 years-originally having been born & raised in a neighboring county & have felt imprisoned here but did not want to leave my mother here alone. Since she has past i am looking to relocate. Most black people live in the City and the East Suburbs. North and South suburbs can be sketchy if your renting because you will have a greater chance of encountering racism, especially in the South Hills but it has gotten better. There are also areas on the N. Side and West End that have enclaves of black people. Pittsburgh put the R in racist and even some white people who are well traveled complain about how racist Pittsburgh is compared to other cities. Right now the east side of the city is going through a large gentrification process because the whites who moved to the suburbs now want the city back so they don't have to pay the high gas cost of commuting and parking.

Even if you find a good job then you will most likely deal with racism in the workplace. Usually subtle but annoying - like when a co-worker of mine at a previous job emailed a mildly racist cartoon of Obama when he first ran for president. The email actually was initiated by someone in management who had done this numerous times but this time they decided, but reluctantly to fire him. Whites would of course tell you there is no race problem because they are not the recipients of their own behavior. Good luck to you.

Last edited by gualm; 07-14-2013 at 05:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 12:31 AM

733 posts, read 940,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Not at all. Japan is much more friendly toward African Americans than China or Korea (unless they are US Military trying to get laid).
I heard there is a good amount of subtle racism for non-Japanese in Japan, and with such a lack of diversity you'll always stick out and be seen as an outsider.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Not at all. Japan is much more friendly toward African Americans than China or Korea (unless they are US Military trying to get laid).
Which is probably why there are less Japanese immigrants to the US than there are Chinese and Korean. Damn, even the US immigration policies are geared towards attracting foreigners who are more likely to hate blacks while steering away potential immigrants from black-friendly nations. Another example is the amount of Brazilian immigrants vs Mexican immigrants that are in the US.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:44 PM

85 posts, read 319,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
Which is probably why there are less Japanese immigrants to the US than there are Chinese and Korean. Damn, even the US immigration policies are geared towards attracting foreigners who are more likely to hate blacks while steering away potential immigrants from black-friendly nations. Another example is the amount of Brazilian immigrants vs Mexican immigrants that are in the US.
Do you seriously think that? Chinese, Koreans, and Mexicans (just like the rest of the world) were introduced to Anti-blackness through white supremacy. Also while Japan is more black-friendly than China and Korea, you need to remember that a lot of the love for "black" culture is essentially a loving form of racism akin to how obsessive some Americans are over their culture. And while Brazil does appear to be ahead of America in regards to how people interact with people of different ethnic backgrounds, that place is FAR from perfect, though I will say that most of their racism does appear to be largely based out of colorism rather than full on-hatred or fear for what it's worth.

Also, please note:
1. Japan has become such an advanced and well-off society that I highly doubt very many of them would want to come here in the first place, versus China where things are still pretty messed up. As for south Koreans on the other hand, it probably has something to do with all of the tension their country has with North Korea at the moment.
2. You do realize there aren't very many immigrants from South America in general, right? Aside from Mexicans, notice that Central Americans, Cubans and Dominicans are the only other ones that are coming here in large numbers? I think all of that has more to do with distance than anything. Also, if you seriously think the American department of immigration is trying to attract immigrants from Mexico, I'm sorry but that's incredibly delusional on your part.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:14 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
NOLA of course

Old 07-17-2013, 01:09 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
It really depends on the person's career, financial status, climate/topography preferences, and desired social scene.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gualm View Post
I have lived in the Pittsburgh area for over 20 years-originally having been born & raised in a neighboring county & have felt imprisoned here but did not want to leave my mother here alone. Since she has past i am looking to relocate. Most black people live in the City and the East Suburbs. North and South suburbs can be sketchy if your renting because you will have a greater chance of encountering racism, especially in the South Hills but it has gotten better. There are also areas on the N. Side and West End that have enclaves of black people. Pittsburgh put the R in racist and even some white people who are well traveled complain about how racist Pittsburgh is compared to other cities. Right now the east side of the city is going through a large gentrification process because the whites who moved to the suburbs now want the city back so they don't have to pay the high gas cost of commuting and parking.

Even if you find a good job then you will most likely deal with racism in the workplace. Usually subtle but annoying - like when a co-worker of mine at a previous job emailed a mildly racist cartoon of Obama when he first ran for president. The email actually was initiated by someone in management who had done this numerous times but this time they decided, but reluctantly to fire him. Whites would of course tell you there is no race problem because they are not the recipients of their own behavior. Good luck to you.
This post is very accurate.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
+1 on the Phoenix, AZ post. - Look into the Phoenix/Mesa/Scottdale area. That is where I plan to relocate to this year.Phoenix has great weather(300+days of sunshine), Affordable cost of living, and the job market is slightly better there than other cities. Also, Phoenix is centrally located near San Diego, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles.(6hr drive). It's a very scenic/diverse area that is slowly coming up for African-Americans. Look into it.
It's coming up for the Black-American women. Even the Sudanese here aren't doing too well. Some are, but most aren't due to their dark-skinned and uber-Sub-Saharan phenotypes are being covertly discriminated against.

Black-American men have to work harder due to the advent of feminism in this country and that Obama is in office (even though he's not Black, he's a real African American, but looked at as a Black man: threat) altogether. LGBT has their hand in PHX too because gay men and lesbians are diplomatically-immune from being fired and are not looked at as threats as too many Black men are put into that archetype unfortunately.

Black-American men have to stay away from industries that are matriarchally-dominated like customer service, which runs a lot of the PHX-metro's economy and should go into IT because most women, for some reason or more, do not go into IT on the technical side. Maybe the PMP side of IT, but not the actually hands-on hardware and software configuration.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
This post is very accurate.
I am black and originally from Pittsburgh and I have lived in several cities including New York, New Jersey and the DC Metro area. I have also traveled a lot and if you think that you will not encounter racism you are in for a rude awakening. I don't find that whites in Pgh are any more racist than anywhere else.

Try coming to DC area and mentioning the president and see what kind of reaction you get. A lot of white people do not like him because of guns and health care issues, not just in Pittsburgh. Or try moving to New YOrk and working with some whites in corporate america. Or try going to a white neighborhood in New York, you will get beaten down. Look up Al Sharpton and see how he started dealing with racist attacks and shootings by cops on black people in New York City.

As long as you stay in your neighborhood, you are fine. Once you try to get into their space, it's on and that's anywhere. People in Pgh have this idea that there is all this diversity everywhere else and that whites like them, but I find that nationalities stay in their own neighborhoods and they stick together. I have heard other nationalities talk about blacks, so if you think you will be accepted, think again.

Unfortunately I find that a lot of people who feel that they are stuck in Pittsburgh think that things are so different in other places until they move there and find out that white people are no more racist than you think they are in Pgh.

There are racist people everywhere and I find that the whites in Pittsburgh are much nicer than other cities.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:31 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellikelly View Post
Try coming to DC area and mentioning the president and see what kind of reaction you get.
It's likely to be quite favorable given voting patterns in the region. Of course you'll find conservatives there as you would anywhere, but it's well known that DC proper and much of the region is solidly blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.