Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 12:28 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times

Advertisements

Anyone who says "DC" as a choice is instantly discredited IMO. Until the day I see a good proportion of blacks work in high end consulting/lobbying/IT/firm positions and live in the best neighborhoods (or at the very least, not be made to feel uncomfortable in high-end non-black neighborhoods), just save that rehashed option. Never have I've seen a place where a popped-collar lazy ass white yuppie can get a six-figure salary for getting a half-assed liberal arts degree and ass kiss...I mean "network" as I've experienced in DC. All while a black person with a technical degree and experience can't even get an interview for the same spot!

Save the over-canned "DC & ATL" answers for a blackplanet forum. ATL & DC are just places where clowns can SWAG SWAG MONEY SWAG it up without their card being pulled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 12:43 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
Anyone who says "DC" as a choice is instantly discredited IMO. Until the day I see a good proportion of blacks work in high end consulting/lobbying/IT/firm positions and live in the best neighborhoods (or at the very least, not be made to feel uncomfortable in high-end non-black neighborhoods), just save that rehashed option. Never have I've seen a place where a popped-collar lazy ass white yuppie can get a six-figure salary for getting a half-assed liberal arts degree and ass kiss...I mean "network" as I've experienced in DC. All while a black person with a technical degree and experience can't even get an interview for the same spot!

Save the over-canned "DC & ATL" answers for a blackplanet forum. ATL & DC are just places where clowns can SWAG SWAG MONEY SWAG it up without their card being pulled.
So if not DC and Atlanta, what cities fit that bill?

Old 04-06-2013, 12:48 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,215,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post

Like anothjer poster said what cities do you think will be good for african americans what gary, indiana?

Old 04-06-2013, 01:32 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yeah, but the OP asked for integrated and racially diverse. Carmel is just 2.9% African American and Fishers is 5.5% African American. While nice, these towns don't meet the OP's criteria.
Theres another solution to that problem.
move 3-4 miles south to Washington Township/Northern Indianapolis.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 5,413 times
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!

And here's why- I have been living in So Cal and NO Cal for the last 17 years and am leaving soon. I am originally from the east coast. Yes, California is diverse, but not to the advantage of African Americans. When I first moved here, on numerous occasions, by multiple black men, I was told, "we don't date black women". They explained that black women in Cali have too much attitude and a ghetto, you owe me mentality. So I guess the alternative for these bruthas is to date " NOT ATTRACTIVE AT ALL" OVERWEIGHT WHITE WOMEN? REALLY??? Another thing I noticed is that mostly all the rest of the nationalities in California have no respect for African Americans they think they are mostly ghetto, uneducated, prone to random acts of petty theft and senseless violence, loud and classless. African Americans have no buying power on the west coast except in the lower income areas such as Watts, Compton, Inglewood etc.. but leave those area's and the merchants could care less about the African American dollar. Their focus is on the Caucasian, Hispanic, and Asian dollar. In conclusion, let me school you "westsiders" go where you have numbers, you know like the Mexicans have out here, black colleges, numerous black owned businesses and affirmative action so you may have an opportunity to get through some of those closed doors. Wake up!!

Old 04-15-2013, 12:56 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
All sizes | Race and ethnicity 2010: Indianapolis | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Found this diversity map of Indianapolis interesting.
When you pull it up make sure its zoomed in as the dots are similar colors and close enough if you don't zoom it they will mostly look reddish and one color.
Some very diverse neighborhoods include the northwest side/Speedway/Fountain square and Lawrence/Southport.
Once you zoom in as much as you can you cant help but notice the mix amount of dots inside the 465 beltway.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:34 PM

82 posts, read 167,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
If I see one more of these threads. African Americans can prosper in any city they want to. I live in Phoenix which isn't the blackest city in the country but there are quite a few black professionals/yuppie types here doing well. Theres also a strong black professional network in the Phoenix area. Of course you can't beat cities like Atlanta, DC, and Chicago as having a decent black professional population. There is no "Best City" for African American professionals. It's all about your career field and what you want out of a city.

You are correct. People call Atlanta and Chicago the "black Mecca" but those cities also suffer with high unemploymeent , crime and in Atlanta's case ...low job wages and inferior schools.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Some may choose to deny it, but there are certain cities with great economic opportunities and a wealth of ammenities catering to our ethnic group: DC, Atlanta, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, etc. These will be the "best" cities, according to most black folks, I'm sure.

So, no, "everywhere" isn't really a valid answer.
IMO these cities don't cater to AA's it's just a mixture of the fact that these cities are growing like crazy and there are more black people there....so by population alone these cities are going to move black people that are successful.

It's just like saying what city is best for Asian Americans....probably DC or San Francisco...it's just numbers.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:28 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
IMO these cities don't cater to AA's it's just a mixture of the fact that these cities are growing like crazy and there are more black people there....so by population alone these cities are going to move black people that are successful.

It's just like saying what city is best for Asian Americans....probably DC or San Francisco...it's just numbers.
Well it's also due to historic reasons. The pre-existing cultural infrastructure in those cities (especially Chicago, DC, and Atlanta) laid the groundwork for those cities to attract Black migrants as they do today or at least in the recent past. In a general sense, that's what's meant when it's said these cities "cater" to Blacks.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Do a Barrel Roll never did bother to reply to anybody's question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.