Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:14 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,637 times

Advertisements

Often times (on this forum and other sites), I hear the Western states of Arizona, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc., as well as the West Coast states of California, Oregon, and Washington, described as more "libertarian" and "live and let live" in their social attitudes than other states, particularly when it comes to religion, but also (to some extent) politics, community ties, and also in everyday social situations, where people often seem less formal out here in the West.The common theme seems to be one of social and cultural individualism in the Western states.

How true would you say this is, in your experience? In my experience as a native of California, there is a definite "libertarian" flavor to the culture here, by which I mean that there are so many different personalities and cultures and subcultures represented here, with many transplants and people from all over the world, that it's hard for one single social attitude to dominate (I also think that a lot of people don't know their neighbors out here in coastal Northern CA, so that might have something to do with it too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
As a gay man living in New Mexico I haven't encountered any homophobia here or any religious zealouts. There is a heavy catholic contingent here but even that doesn't really make life opressive here by any stretch. This state seems to have a higher native population than most western states but even with that factored in it's still laid back and very live and let live out here, I love that.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
As a gay man living in New Mexico I haven't encountered any homophobia here or any religious zealouts. There is a heavy catholic contingent here but even that doesn't really make life opressive here by any stretch. This state seems to have a higher native population than most western states but even with that factored in it's still laid back and very live and let live out here, I love that.

Interesting thoughts, thanks for your post!

Old 02-26-2017, 01:29 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
Absolutely correct. In fact, there is evidence to back up your theory. I remember a sociology textbook of mine that said, generally speaking, the western half of the US is more "live and let live", while the eastern half is more "community minded".

The drawback to each of these situations, if there is any, is that "live and let live" means there's less feelings of community and togetherness, while in the community-minded eastern half of the US, people are more likely to pry into your personal business.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:28 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,739 times
I have lived all over the Western U.S most of my life. What you say is true. The one drawback in my opinion is it's easy to become invisible. Nobody gets in your business because they are not interested in learning about you. Privacy yes that's good but I would also guess there are more lonely people out here too. Aren't suicide rates highest in Western states? Rugged individualism can sometimes go too far.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:05 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
I felt freer in the West than living anyplace else, but the freedom had its' own price. It was that people were somewhat indifferent to you also like above poster said. As I got older, I felt I needed more of a feeling of social community, which I didn't get in the West. I get it more in the East. What goes w/ that, though, is more intrusiveness, which I'm not crazy about.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:02 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,897 times
This doesn't apply in Utah and Southern Idaho. The attitude of that region is anything but "Live-and-let-Live" and a lot more of, "Live how I do or I'm going to judge the crap out of you and make your life difficult."

But that region developed in relative cultural isolation for generations and the culture there had a much less tolerant perspective than your typical mining company or pioneer train headed to the west along with others from varying, diverse backgrounds with the intent of making it big. The Mid-1800s history of the west is really fascinating, and its application to culture 150 years later can still be seen in so many ways.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:12 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
This doesn't apply in Utah and Southern Idaho. The attitude of that region is anything but "Live-and-let-Live" and a lot more of, "Live how I do or I'm going to judge the crap out of you and make your life difficult."

But that region developed in relative cultural isolation for generations and the culture there had a much less tolerant perspective than your typical mining company or pioneer train headed to the west along with others from varying, diverse backgrounds with the intent of making it big. The Mid-1800s history of the west is really fascinating, and its application to culture 150 years later can still be seen in so many ways.
It is that way in Utah, but not in Southern Idaho (except for maybe the extreme SE corner near Logan).
The Boise area is a refreshing live and let live region. I know you are referring the LDS government and it's empire, but Southern Idaho, especially within LDS culture, is a different beast when compared to the peculiarities of Utah.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

Similar attitude in much of the Puget Sound area. Making it even worse, this pressure to conform to their allegedly-nonconformist "community" parades under various PC fronts to hide what is, essentially, a form of bullying, albeit without the physical threats.

Whether left wing or right wing, gang mentality lives on.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
But then again, having lived in Connecticut almost my whole life, people are very reserved and don't butt into the business of others, either. Here in CT, people can go for a whole year without even interacting with their neighbors, etc. There is virtually no sense of religious oppression here in New England, either. I have never ever been judged negatively for being an atheist (except from my Catholic parents, lol) or being LGBT, here in New England. So I really question as to how much this difference between the east and the west really exists. The South and Midwest, however, is a different story, based on what I've heard. So, I really think the northeast coast and the west are similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.