Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 AM

345 posts, read 1,031,207 times

Advertisements

lol at calling these cities the most exciting places in the country for twenty somethings. Possibly the worst thread I've seen on this website. I have absolutely zero interest in ever living in Portland, Seattle, or Boston.

Austin would be my favorite from the cities mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
No, not me either, try a small great city that has every thing that the large cities have.
"CHARLESTON"
you forgot a "W" there fella, Charlestown.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,655,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
you forgot a "W" there fella, Charlestown.
Wrong, not talking Boston; try Chaleston, S.C.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:24 PM

29 posts, read 33,078 times
you should live where you feel you could thrive. thriving doesn't mean only succeeding at your given profession (though that is without a doubt a large consideration), but being able to find happiness and contentment not only in just the best times, but on the regular old boring weekday nights when there is nothing going on. also, home is where you can feel comfortable being yourself, can develop a network of people that you get along well with (if not family, existing friends, etc), and can go enjoy what you love, whether that is hiking, socializing, site-seeing, surfing, shopping, or whatever else.

i've lived in Cincinnati now for 8 years and I like it fine - it's an old city but has a certain energy right now with the revitalization of the downtown core. it's an exciting time to live here, but I have lived overseas in France (Nantes) for a year, and Los Angeles when I was younger, so I definitely am aware that there are other places out there. specifically I am of the mindset that while I love Cincinnati and love being a part of it growing into something new and having a feeling where it is "my" city (i'm not lost in an enormous population like some other major cities), I feel like i'm ready to move to somewhere warmer to avoid the rough and depressing winters of this latitude. so I do like Austin on this post that i'm responding to, as it's also a bit up-and-coming and has been for years, has plenty of social life, and is very affordable when compared with places like SF. i'm also considering San Diego (though it's expensive), northern Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Phoenix, Atlanta, and even Las Vegas (sort of). we'll see what happens

Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misslle View Post
I currently live in Seattle. I lived in Boston a few years ago. Seattle is not exciting at all. But I could see why people would want to live here. I've actually been thinking about moving back to Boston or somewhere new like San Francisco. I'm torn between San Francisco and Boston...anyone like one city over the other? Why? I'm single, female, 32 yrs old.
I've heard that there's a severe shortage of single females in Seattle.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:10 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter12 View Post
you should live where you feel you could thrive. thriving doesn't mean only succeeding at your given profession (though that is without a doubt a large consideration), but being able to find happiness and contentment not only in just the best times, but on the regular old boring weekday nights when there is nothing going on. also, home is where you can feel comfortable being yourself, can develop a network of people that you get along well with (if not family, existing friends, etc), and can go enjoy what you love, whether that is hiking, socializing, site-seeing, surfing, shopping, or whatever else.
That is my biggest problem with Oklahoma City. Moving here was a great career move and something I really had to do, but I can't see myself living here long-term because outside of work there just isn't much going on here and what there is really isn't my thing (I'm more of a symphony person than a rodeo person). I think almost any other metro area over 1 million would be an upgrade to where I am at now. SF, Seattle, Portland, Austin, and Boston seem like the top places for young professionals now, but cities like Denver, Minneapolis, DFW, Houston, and Atlanta also seem like they have quite a bit going on. Fortunately, family is here in OKC and I am starting to make friends here so that makes it somewhat tolerable until moving is an option. For everyone, some cities fit like a glove, others like a mitten.

Unfortunately, moving is difficult if you don't have a job where you can transfer. What I am not looking forward to is what I am going to have to go through to get out of OKC when I have enough experience at my current job to be marketable. A lot of companies will immediately trash out of state resumes.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 PM

13 posts, read 37,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
these five cities are arguably the hottest cities in the country right now and possibly the best and most exciting places to live if you are a twentysomething. For those who can't move to portland, seattle, san francisco, austin, or boston, do you envy those who do live there? What is keeping you from moving to one of the above cities?
shut the fucc up with your hipster bull5hit !

Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,784,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
These five cities are arguably the hottest cities in the country right now and possibly the best and most exciting places to live if you are a twentysomething. For those who can't move to Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin, or Boston, do you envy those who do live there? What is keeping you from moving to one of the above cities?
I'm not a provincial west coast hipster.

Austin? That's a rough hood in Chicago.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Jealous? Well, no...but then I have a life.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Why should I be? If I wanted to live there, I would live there. I don't, so I don't.
EXACTLY my thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.