Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,590,704 times

Advertisements

That's a loaded question. Better at what?

It's like saying, "what's better, men or women?".

Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,851,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Houston has the least public transportation of any city of comparable size. Any other metropolis that huge, would have trains or subways. Instead, they keep building more and more rings of beltways, encouraging sprawl development.

I've also heard that Houston has no zoning laws, meaning that buildings of all kinds are juxtaposed next to each other, without rhyme or reason. The state of TX overall, some posters on this forum claim, has high property taxes. The state also has one of the worst-performing schools systems overall, in the USA -- and yet Governor Perry wants to slash school funding even further. And of course, Houston has very hot and humid summers.
Houston has one of the largest bus fleets in the nation & is 3rd only to Los Angeles if my memory serves me correctly. It also has more miles of HOV lane per capita than any other US city of which those city buses utilize along with other cars & trucks on the road.

If there is one thing Houston is good at its building a sleek, modern, & ultra efficient freeway system. There's literally nothing else like it in America. Not even LA's extensive network of freeways built back in the 50's & 60's can match Houston's.

You'd be hard pressed to find another major city that offers the bang for the buck you get in Houston.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 PM

567 posts, read 1,114,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has one of the largest bus fleets in the nation & is 3rd only to Los Angeles if my memory serves me correctly.
In Los Angeles, the buses are one of God's many ways of punishing poor people. I have a feeling it's even more so in Houston.

Quote:
If there is one thing Houston is good at its building a sleek, modern, & ultra efficient freeway system.
It'll inevitably turn into daily traffic hell for most people if it hasn't already. "If you build it, they will come." Too many do so with every passing year, until the whole thing gets overloaded. Drive in L.A. at 2 a.m. and you can get from Santa Monica to the Valley in about twenty minutes; that's about the only way to get a feel for what it must have been like when they first opened it.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:16 PM

2,276 posts, read 2,626,357 times
Lots of cities are better than Houston.
It's too big for one and hot as the devil, not to talk about the streets flooding when it rains hard.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,678,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston has one of the largest bus fleets in the nation & is 3rd only to Los Angeles if my memory serves me correctly. It also has more miles of HOV lane per capita than any other US city of which those city buses utilize along with other cars & trucks on the road.

If there is one thing Houston is good at its building a sleek, modern, & ultra efficient freeway system. There's literally nothing else like it in America. Not even LA's extensive network of freeways built back in the 50's & 60's can match Houston's.

You'd be hard pressed to find another major city that offers the bang for the buck you get in Houston.

Not sure third. Based on what I can tell there are a few hundred less than Philly not sure about other places like Chicago, Boston, or SF. Also the number I got is just SEPTA and excludes the many NJ Transit buses which would probably add another 400 or so in the area

Edit: It looks like Houston has 1216, considerable but less than NYC, Chciago, LA, Philly and maybe others so 3 absolutely not

Agree on the COL and to the OP. Houston is a great choice for many Good luck on your decision and move

Old 05-10-2013, 02:45 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,947,025 times
I personally think NYC, Chicago, LA, SF, Boston, Philly, Seattle, Portland, Austin, Minneapolis, Denver, Atlanta, DC, and San Diego are all better cities for various reasons.

But Houston is cheaper with a faster growing economy than all of the above. Houston is on the verge of being really awesome and already blows a lot of the above cities out of the water on certain metrics. Not a bad time to be in Houston at all.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:17 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,821,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I will be moving to houston texas next year feb but I'm curious if there are any cities that are better then it overall.

If you think so please state why.

Thanks for sharing.
Absolutely not, why would you even consider the idea that a city could be better than the utopia we call Houston. Congratulations on moving to Shangri-La
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.