Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:00 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times

Advertisements

Might look at Boulder just outside of Denver
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:06 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
Seattle duh.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 PM

10 posts, read 35,270 times
Thanks all for the responses. We both are getting our Master's degrees in health. I'm getting it in Healthcare Administration, and my husband in Speech Pathology. I'm currently an attorney (but after 5 years found out I hate practicing law) and my husband is a speech therapist. We're both Hispanics and bilingual, but I'm not sure that will help as I read somewhere that the Hispanic population in both Portland and Seattle is not that large. We will look for jobs but want to open our clinic in about 5 - 6 years. I'm leaning towards Portland and Seattle. Will probably visit both cities during the fall. Again, thanks for the responses.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:52 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Denver proper and Boulder are very secular and not very religious at all. Denver is also the first US city to host the Cannabis Cup which has always been hosted in Amsterdam.
High Times' Cannabis Cup to be held in US for first time | The Daily Caller.
Boulder has always ranked at the very top of 420 friendly cities and their school district is excellent; expect California rents/ real estate prices though. Denver is substantially cheaper. There are really only a few areas outside of Denver where there is a fair religious population(one or two suburbs and Colorado Springs) Colorado is more about health,fitness, eco minded and social capital biz, free thinking and more tolerant of various lifestyles.

Last edited by Scott5280; 03-23-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-23-2013, 02:22 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Denver proper and Boulder are very secular and not very religious at all. Denver is also the first US city to host the Cannabis Cup which has always been hosted in Amsterdam.
High Times' Cannabis Cup to be held in US for first time | The Daily Caller.
Boulder has always ranked at the very top of 420 friendly cities and their school district is excellent; expect California rents/ real estate prices though. Denver is substantially cheaper. There are really only a few areas outside of Denver where there is a fair religious population(one or two suburbs and Colorado Springs) Colorado is more about health,fitness, eco minded and social capital biz, free thinking and more tolerant of various lifestyles.
You're really just talking about Boulder. So much of the Denver area is neither secular nor liberal.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:27 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times
Troll post?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
You're really just talking about Boulder. So much of the Denver area is neither secular nor liberal.
I'm setting the record straight since you don't even live in Denver..I do. Denver proper where I live and own multiple properties and have for years is exactly the way I described it. You live in the burbs which are about as liberal/conservative as those of Portland. I don't live in Boulder right now.. Denver is nothing like Lakewood or Highlands Ranch..even those places are trending blue now. Did you land a job with the Heritage Foundation, or are you just upset the conservatives are being massacred in Colorado?
Our laws and preferences speak for themselves.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I've heard recently that is starting to change, especially with the influx of young professionals from out of state. They recently legalized marijuana. To me, it seems like the kind of place where if somebody is religious, they don't shove it down your throat.
The whole "shoving it down your throat" meme is largely a myth that anti-religious people create about religious people. If I ask you if you want to go to church with me, it's a friendly invitation to share something that you ought to do; it's not "shoving" anything down anybody's throat. My experience is that, if anything, religious people in the Denver area are actually more intense about their faith than people in more religious cities, mostly because it's sort of "cultural" in other places. There is a special intensity about Christianity in Colorado that attracts both evangelicals and Catholics to the state.

In terms of changes in Denver, well, there are changes throughout the country. If Denver is growing more secular or whatever (and I doubt that it is), then it is merely mirroring the sort of secularization that is happening across the country. In other words, what is happening in terms of religious identification in Denver is happening in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Las Vegas, etc. It would be false to say that Denver is growing especially liberal or secular or whatever. Again, my experience is that people of faith in Denver are very serious about it. Denver has earned a reputation as a sort of hub of the new evangelization among Catholics (think: World Youth Day, Archbishop Chaput, etc.), and many of Denver's suburbs are home to very outspoken and evangelistic mega-churches.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
I'm setting the record straight since you don't even live in Denver..I do. Denver proper where I live and own multiple properties and have for years is exactly the way I described it. You live in the burbs which are about as liberal/conservative as those of Portland. I don't live in Boulder right now.. Denver is nothing like Lakewood or Highlands Ranch..even those places are trending blue now.
The Portland metro is not really comparable to the Denver metro in terms of this discussion. You're absolutely right that the City of Denver is quite a bit different than its surrounding suburbs. You're absolutely wrong that that fact makes it more or less identifiable with Portland or Seattle or wherever.

And, no, I don't work for the Heritage Foundation, although it is a great organization. And, yes, I think it's a shame that we legalized marijuana. Colorado decriminalized pot back in the 70s. The weird tolerance of that drug here isn't something I celebrate, but I also don't pretend that suddenly Colorado is a bastion of liberalism in the middle of America simply because we actually voted for something that polls show most Americans supporting anyway. As a conservative in Colorado, I'm still extremely excited about the future of this state and the tremendous victories that conservatives will have over the next several years and beyond here.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
The whole "shoving it down your throat" meme is largely a myth that anti-religious people create about religious people. If I ask you if you want to go to church with me, it's a friendly invitation to share something that you ought to do; it's not "shoving" anything down anybody's throat. My experience is that, if anything, religious people in the Denver area are actually more intense about their faith than people in more religious cities, mostly because it's sort of "cultural" in other places. There is a special intensity about Christianity in Colorado that attracts both evangelicals and Catholics to the state.

In terms of changes in Denver, well, there are changes throughout the country. If Denver is growing more secular or whatever (and I doubt that it is), then it is merely mirroring the sort of secularization that is happening across the country. In other words, what is happening in terms of religious identification in Denver is happening in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Las Vegas, etc. It would be false to say that Denver is growing especially liberal or secular or whatever. Again, my experience is that people of faith in Denver are very serious about it. Denver has earned a reputation as a sort of hub of the new evangelication in the Catholic Church, and many of Denver's suburbs are home to very outspoken and evangelistic mega-churches.
There you go again spreading more BS. Remember I live in Denver..you don't and obviously don't leave
your mega church neighborhood. As a part time Californian in the liberal coastal area of OC I can tell others Colorado has more in common with LA than it does with Dallas,Vegas,Chicago. Many of the conservatives are moving to Texas,Arizona..scared off by
the influx of a quickly liberal trending populace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.