Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:00 PM

21,647 posts, read 24,775,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No, actually, politically liberal means that the rights of society are more important than the rights of the individual. That's the antithesis of individual freedom. That's why liberals believe so strongly in taxing from the people who have earned their money and giving it to the poor unfortunates who refuse to work. Apparently, it is society's money, not the individual's money and it needs to be redistributed to make life more fair for all of society.

It's the liberals who want to cancel our constitutional rights because they think it will be better for society as a whole if there are no guns.
Actually, it doesn't. That's one branch of liberalism just as one branch of conservatism is increasing government spending, protectionist economic policies, nation building, corporate welfare, out of control deficits, and viewing government's most important role as regulating the bedroom.

Since I'm really only concerned with government preserving individual liberty and being fiscally responsible, I can't decide which party I like less. They both get Fs on both scores. Obama had some rhetoric I liked on the personal freedoms side, but in actuality he just continued on from where Bush left off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,316,917 times
People think of the PNW as "liberal" in the West Coast liberal definition sense of the word. That is quite possibly because there has been a large influx of Californians moving into the larger areas of the PNW in the past decades who have tended to have liberal leanings. They certainly have influenced the PNW but I would not consider the entire PNW as an entirly liberal area in that sense of the definition.

It was once considered more as provincial and conservative. Maybe even more libertarian. But if you look at the PNW as a whole, I would still today not define the entire area as liberal. I couldn't really define it as any one thing due to the mixture of the population that now inhabits it.

I would say though, that depending upon where you go, you can pretty much find just about anything here these days.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:03 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,275,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No, actually, politically liberal means that the rights of society are more important than the rights of the individual. That's the antithesis of individual freedom. That's why liberals believe so strongly in taxing from the people who have earned their money and giving it to the poor unfortunates who refuse to work. Apparently, it is society's money, not the individual's money and it needs to be redistributed to make life more fair for all of society.

It's the liberals who want to cancel our constitutional rights because they think it will be better for society as a whole if there are no guns.
He's referring to the original definition of the word liberal. You know, what it meant for hundreds of years before Bill O'Reilly and others starting ranting about "liberals" this and "liberals" that. Look it up - liberal politically means a very different things than you think.

Liberalism in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,090,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The PNW is liberal but it doesn't come off to me as liberal as the northeast. For example, the same-sex marriage movement began in New England 10 years ago and Massachusetts was the first state to legalize it. Today, almost all of the northeast U.S. except for 3 states have legalized it. Washington state, on the other hand, legalized same-sex marriage only last year.
But that's only one of many "liberal" issues. Oregon long ago decriminalized marijuana, has medical marijuana, and probably will legalize it soon. Not to mention assisted suicide. Washington has its own share of them. And then there's the topic of environmental issues. The bottle bill was an Oregon invention. The beaches are all public, etc. Oregon and Washington are the only all vote-by-mail states.

As for same-sex marriage, Oregon long ago legalized civil unions. And in 2004, Portland tried to sneak through legalizing same-sex marriage, even issuing marriage licenses to couples. It was shortly struck down through legal channels, though, and I think that the way they tried to circumvent the voters is what led to it not being legalized.

So they have their fair share of liberalness.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,873,163 times
The Pacific Northwest is pretty similar to Northern New England, in that the partisan affiliation of the region changed in the last 30 years, but the actual politics haven't as much. It was for a long time an area known for moderate-to-liberal Republicans (Bob Packwood, most famous for the sex scandal now, was one of the last ones).

Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,771,892 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtCjptecOcc NO

Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 AM

256 posts, read 539,330 times
Leave the Triangle (Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia and this place is pretty conservative. Even some places in Tacoma I saw to be conservative.

As for Oregon It is the same (Corvallis, Eugene, Portland) Matter in fact I consider Oregon a swing state in 2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.