Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 AM

106 posts, read 223,001 times

Advertisements

Trying to get a comparison - they have gotten to be a pretty big problem here (Duluth, MN). How big of a problem are they in your area, and if you don't mind sharing, where do you live?

A local news article today about the disgusting store that makes millions off ruining people's lives, including many young people... Impact of Last Place spreads throughout downtown | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 AM

644 posts, read 1,430,695 times
It was a big deal in Atlanta's suburbs 3-5 years ago, but state "regulation" has controlled it quite a bit since. Not hardly as bad now as it was at the turn of the decade.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Oh, I guess we are a little behind, as usual...

Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblair0023 View Post
Trying to get a comparison - they have gotten to be a pretty big problem here (Duluth, MN). How big of a problem are they in your area, and if you don't mind sharing, where do you live?

A local news article today about the disgusting store that makes millions off ruining people's lives, including many young people... Impact of Last Place spreads throughout downtown | Duluth News Tribune | Duluth, Minnesota
I have not heard about any problems like this where I live, so I guess it is not a problem here.
Maybe you can answer some questions that the news report failed to address:

1. What "legal" product is being sold at the store that is in such great demand?

2. If there is such a demand for it, why doesn't any other store also sell it?

3. How long does it take to fill an order, that people have to wait in line until after 9 pm just go get inside?

4. Why don't customers arrive early enough to buy it before 9 pm, or why can't they wait until 9 am to do their shopping, like they do at other stores?

5. Do bars or liquor stores also have to pay the police to patrol for drunk patrons? Does WalMart have to pay the police to patrol their parking lot, where there are signs warning customers to lock their cars against theft? What about adult toy stores, to patrol for perverts?

6. Give me some examples of legal but harmful "synthetic drugs". Are they something that I've ever heard about? I've got a little investment money, maybe I can get in on the ground floor here, and get a piece of the action.

7. Wouldn't it be cheaper for the city to rent a port-a-potty, than to pay police patrols to arrest people for peeing in public on the pavement? (No alliteration intended.)

Last edited by jtur88; 03-26-2013 at 11:08 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,112,557 times
Assuming they're refering to bath salts, K2 etc., don't think it was ever much of a problem here in Boston.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have not heard about any problems like this where I live, so I guess it is not a problem here.

1. What "legal" product is being sold at the store that is in such great demand?

3. How long does it take to fill an order, that people have to wait in line until after 9 pm just go get inside?

4. Why don't customers arrive early enough to buy it before 9 pm, or why can't they wait until 9 am to do their shopping, like they do at other stores?

5. Do bars or liquor stores also have to pay the police to patrol for drunk patrons? Does WalMart have to pay the police to patrol their parking lot, where there are signs warning customers to lock their cars against theft?

6. Give me some examples of "synthetic drugs". Are they something that I've ever heard about? I've got a little investment money, maybe I can get in on the ground floor here, and get a piece of the action.
I'm not sure I can answer all your questions but I will give it a shot.

1. "legal" is a technicality... the ingredients of the products are changing every month to get around the new laws they keep passing to get this crap off the streets.

2. I'm guessing other stores don't sell it because most people care more about not ruining people's lives and their cummunity than they do about making money. And maybe they want to be on the right side of the law and not hated by almost everyone in town.

3. Since I (nor anyone I know) would never step foot inside that place, I have no idea how long it takes to fill an order.

4. I have no idea why druggies do the things they do.

5. The full-time police presence outside of the store at the owner's expense is a result of just how bad things have become on that block. They are constantly sucking up police resources and they harass anyone that dares walk down the street. Neighboring longtime businesses are losing money because people won't go there anymore. I didn't make the decision so I can't speak as to why there and not somewhere else, but I can say I've never seen even a bar that has had that amount of negative/illegal activity outside it.

6. Have fun with that.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

5. Do bars or liquor stores also have to pay the police to patrol for drunk patrons? Does WalMart have to pay the police to patrol their parking lot, where there are signs warning customers to lock their cars against theft? What about adult toy stores, to patrol for perverts?

6. Give me some examples of legal but harmful "synthetic drugs". Are they something that I've ever heard about? I've got a little investment money, maybe I can get in on the ground floor here, and get a piece of the action.

7. Wouldn't it be cheaper for the city to rent a port-a-potty, than to pay police patrols to arrest people for peeing in public on the pavement? (No alliteration intended.)
Looks like you added a question.

7. from the article: "One officer on Monday, after responding to a call about men urinating in public around the corner from the store, said one of the men asked why the city doesn’t install portable toilets for Last Place customers to use. Accommodation is not the direction the city is taking, he said."

Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Assuming they're refering to bath salts, K2 etc., don't think it was ever much of a problem here in Boston.
Correct, that is what they're selling.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 AM

993 posts, read 1,767,407 times
They were big a few years ago in western South Dakota. It started with K2, then Posh, then night lights, now bath salts (I don't really know if bath salts are a big there, but I know the other three were). They throw a little "not for human consumption" on the bag to get away with it. K2 and Posh were "marketed" as incense and fertilizer. One of the main reason that the drugs are becoming illegal is because we don't know the long term effects they have on the body. Here's a link with a little info on one of the main synthetics used in the synthetic marijuana which is now a schedule 1 drug in the US JWH-018 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-26-2013, 01:53 PM

93,311 posts, read 123,941,088 times
It was for a period of about 6 months or so last year, but it has been pretty much shut down quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.