Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 06:02 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,329,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquelady26 View Post
Hi Im a recently divorcee with three small children, looking to buy a home in a nice area in Texas, under 200,000 with great schools, family friendly, shopping, movies, museums, etc. Definitely low crime, and working class. Any suggestions, Im currently renting in N Fort Worth which I relocated to here from Detroit, MI 1.5 yrs ago. I am in healthcare.
I have been looking for jobs in the south and sunbelt and really amazed at how good the job market is in texas and the housing market is great .

my ideal would be something near the southern coast as I love sailing the caribbean and love the southern beaches but it is not a very good STEM market like it is in the more inland cities like houston,atlanta,rtp, dallas etc. but no matter how far it is fromt he beach, warm weather, gardening most of the year and maybe some land and horses would be great, I think those mild texas winters would be very nice after these maryland winters.

my advice is try neighborhood scout , best tool I have found for scoping out good neighborhoods ,cost of housing and crime etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
From Vancouver to the Bay area. Cascadia I think has the best quality of life. Fresh Pacific air, mild climate, fertile/ volcanic soil, visually stimulating, creative population, good public transportation overall (cities not small towns), it's almost a utopia but tech is destroying it imo. Much respect for Portland
I think you're glossing over the problems with that region. Insanely high cost of living, depressed wages outside of a couple STEM fields, a repressive social culture, lots of hidden racism and classism, surprisingly poor transit outside of a few areas of a few cities, lots of deforestation. I think the Pacific Northwest has the best PR and most creative chambers of commerce, but doesn't completely live up to the hype.

Now with that said, there are lots of beautiful places and great things about the Pacific Northwest. I love how it doesn't get extremely hot (except this year), the Oregon Coast, the Olympics, Crater Lake, how people leave you alone and don't get into your business.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:08 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,942,476 times
I would not really want to live out west. It's just too arid, brown and less "connected" with mainstream American society.

Old 10-31-2015, 07:32 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,006,421 times
I'd agree here, or the Pacific Northwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Rocky Mountains Colorado/Utah). Both have amongst the best education and health rates in the Country! And our outdoor activities are second to none! Fairly low crime as well! We can compete with any region!

Old 10-31-2015, 07:47 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,090,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Criteria-
Life Expectancy
Education
Lowest crime
Healthy
Lowest poverty
Other things you find important for Quality of life? like weather or public transit?

I wanna say its between the Pacific Northwest - New England and Upper Midwest.
Upper Midwest...Wisconsin, Minnesota, the Dakotas, and Iowa...

Old 10-31-2015, 10:32 PM

650 posts, read 867,608 times
This question is really subjective. It depends on you. I've only lived in Michigan and now Maryland (DC area) and both are great places to live. But that's just me. The next person may have a different opinion than me. This is just MY experience.

I also like NJ/NYC area, Chicago, Miami, and Los Angeles but others may not. Then on the other hand I don't like Atlanta, but you may like it, but it's not for me. See what I'm saying? A better question would be ask a question specific to you such as what your looking for in a city, the type of job you have, etc.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:16 PM

765 posts, read 898,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think you're glossing over the problems with that region. Insanely high cost of living, depressed wages outside of a couple STEM fields, a repressive social culture, lots of hidden racism and classism, surprisingly poor transit outside of a few areas of a few cities, lots of deforestation. I think the Pacific Northwest has the best PR and most creative chambers of commerce, but doesn't completely live up to the hype.

Now with that said, there are lots of beautiful places and great things about the Pacific Northwest. I love how it doesn't get extremely hot (except this year), the Oregon Coast, the Olympics, Crater Lake, how people leave you alone and don't get into your business.
I completely agree with you on everything but I still think it has the best quality of life compared to everywhere else.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:00 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
I have been looking for jobs in the south and sunbelt and really amazed at how good the job market is in texas and the housing market is great .

my ideal would be something near the southern coast as I love sailing the caribbean and love the southern beaches but it is not a very good STEM market like it is in the more inland cities like houston,atlanta,rtp, dallas etc. but no matter how far it is fromt he beach, warm weather, gardening most of the year and maybe some land and horses would be great, I think those mild texas winters would be very nice after these maryland winters.

my advice is try neighborhood scout , best tool I have found for scoping out good neighborhoods ,cost of housing and crime etc.
The rest of the South isn't Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.