Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 06:13 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, you guys have to realize that "y'all" sounds stupid to an east coaster. Nobody uses it here. It just sounds redneck or country to us. I'm just speaking the truth. Southern and Midwestern accents sound silly to us. No offense to anyone, however. I'm just being honest and blatant about how most of us think about those American "country" dialects.
I have yet to hear anyone in Indianapolis say the word Y'all.
The only time i hear it in Indiana as a whole is when someones joking and trying to mimic a country boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Well, I have driven through Indianapolis. It seemed like a nice, clean metro in general, although admittedly plain looking. But yes, I want a job and a place to live more than anything right now.

You're right about the unemployment stats...they are somewhat meaningless, but to an extent.

Nonetheless, I will take a closer look at Indianapolis, but I will definitely be comparing it with Columbus, OH.
Columbus has slightly better neighborhoods but Indianapolis has a dense compact walkable downtown.
Downtown Indianapolis is ranked as one of the best downtowns in the country. its in the top 15.
From wikipedia: Indianapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both Forbes and Livability.com rank Indianapolis as one of the best downtowns in the United States citing "more than 200 retail shops, more than 35 hotels, nearly 300 restaurants and food options, movie theaters, sports venues, museums, art galleries and parks" as attractions.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,176,546 times
Quote:
But if I'm desperate enough to get a job more than anything, I guess it's something I'll just have to get used to!

Frankly if you are unemployed and need a job, finding the job and a place with a reasonable cost of living is key...."lifestyle" is way way down on the list right now for you, or should be.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:46 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Well, you guys have to realize that "y'all" sounds stupid to an east coaster. Nobody uses it here. It just sounds redneck or country to us. I'm just speaking the truth. Southern and Midwestern accents sound silly to us. No offense to anyone, however. I'm just being honest and blatant about how most of us think about those American "country" dialects.

Please..do NOT speak for all "East Coasters" or "Northerners". I'm from the northeast (though apparently according to you I actually live in the midwest and say y'all and tote a gun and chewin' tobacco around everywhere I go ) and think you are waaaaaay off base in your analysis of giant swaths of the country.

I didn't even see that you had considered Orlando. Orlando is probably just as southern, if not more southern, than Charlotte or especially Raleigh in NC.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:34 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Well, I don't prefer large cities. I had already lived in NYC from ages 22-23 and although it was awesome, I would never do it again. It's too overwhelming for me. Even Boston is too large and urban for me. Cities like Columbus, Orlando, Indianapolis, Charlotte, etc., are actually the perfect size and lifestyle of what I'm looking for. But I want to minimize culture shock. Being a native New Englander, I thought Dallas, Charlotte, Denver, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Atlanta and several other cities were a culture shock to me. I will say, however, that I spent some time in northeastern Ohio (Akron area) and felt very comfortable. The culture shock there was almost nonexistent. I have never been to Columbus or Indianapolis, other than driving through them, so I can't speak for them.

I never thought Orlando was southern cultured. Whoever said that...are you serious? To me, Orlando is a mainstream culture, at least until you venture off into the surrounding areas like Lakeland, Daytona Beach or Leesburg, then yeah, it gets somewhat southern. Orlando has tons of transplants from the northeast.

Honestly though, I don't like having warm weather all year round. I like variety. And I like down to earth people; not pretentious, uneducated, flakey people, as is commonly found in Florida. I also don't like touristy places that much.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't prefer large cities. I had already lived in NYC from ages 22-23 and although it was awesome, I would never do it again. It's too overwhelming for me. Even Boston is too large and urban for me. Cities like Columbus, Orlando, Indianapolis, Charlotte, etc., are actually the perfect size and lifestyle of what I'm looking for. But I want to minimize culture shock. Being a native New Englander, I thought Dallas, Charlotte, Denver, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Atlanta and several other cities were a culture shock to me. I will say, however, that I spent some time in northeastern Ohio (Akron area) and felt very comfortable. The culture shock there was almost nonexistent. I have never been to Columbus or Indianapolis, other than driving through them, so I can't speak for them.

I never thought Orlando was southern cultured. Whoever said that...are you serious? To me, Orlando is a mainstream culture, at least until you venture off into the surrounding areas like Lakeland, Daytona Beach or Leesburg, then yeah, it gets somewhat southern. Orlando has tons of transplants from the northeast.

Honestly though, I don't like having warm weather all year round. I like variety. And I like down to earth people; not pretentious, uneducated, flakey people, as is commonly found in Florida. I also don't like touristy places that much.
You basically just described Indianapolis.
Hoosier hospitality isnt something thats a myth. its real and people are very down to earth/friendly and welcoming to other people and cultures.
Hence why Indianapolis is the most intregrated city in the Northern US.
A University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee study recently concluded that Indianapolis is the least segregated city in the northern United States, with 25% of the population living on a city block with both white and black residents.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
You basically just described Indianapolis.
Hoosier hospitality isnt something thats a myth. its real and people are very down to earth/friendly and welcoming to other people and cultures.
Hence why Indianapolis is the most intregrated city in the Northern US.
A University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee study recently concluded that Indianapolis is the least segregated city in the northern United States, with 25% of the population living on a city block with both white and black residents.
Then how would you recommend that I go about physically moving there with no job lined up? Maybe I start staying in an extended stay hotel for like $40 a night, for 2 weeks, while looking for a short-term rental apartment for no more than $500-800 a month, if possible. I would start looking for a job on the day I arrived there. It seems hard to find a sublease apartment that would allow me only 3 months. I don't want to take on a 6 month sublease, because if things don't work out, then I'm screwed. Also, based on my research on Indeed.com and the BLS, the job market in Indianapolis doesn't seem that great.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Then how would you recommend that I go about physically moving there with no job lined up? Maybe I start staying in an extended stay hotel for like $40 a night, for 2 weeks, while looking for a short-term rental apartment for no more than $500-800 a month, if possible. I would start looking for a job on the day I arrived there. It seems hard to find a sublease apartment that would allow me only 3 months. I don't want to take on a 6 month sublease, because if things don't work out, then I'm screwed. Also, based on my research on Indeed.com and the BLS, the job market in Indianapolis doesn't seem that great.
Someone on one of my other threads described the process for doing it.
Basically you want to travel with only the essentials. TV/Couch and all that junk can be bought later.
2nd the average apartment price in Indianapolis is 500$ a month so thats something to consider.
Also as i pointed out the BLS and Indeed arent the most reliable figures to use. BLS for what i said before they dont accurately count everyone thats truely unemployed as unemployed.
2nd There are all sorts of jobs in Indianapolis. The key is to start off flexible land a job. Heck working in a resturant is better than nothing as you can atleast bring in some money and then after you get settled down you can look for the job that suits your degree and skills.

heres a list of some accounting jobs in Indianapolis:http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobseek...csPerPage%3d25

Its important though to get a job when you first move then as they say Upgrade your job after you settled down for a couple months know the area and get the moving expenses taken care of.

Also 40$ a night is expensive so 2 weeks would burn through 560$ and thats 1 months rent right there. You want to minimize extended stay hotel nights cause those are expensive plain and simple.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Someone on one of my other threads described the process for doing it.
Basically you want to travel with only the essentials. TV/Couch and all that junk can be bought later.
2nd the average apartment price in Indianapolis is 500$ a month so thats something to consider.
Also as i pointed out the BLS and Indeed arent the most reliable figures to use. BLS for what i said before they dont accurately count everyone thats truely unemployed as unemployed.
2nd There are all sorts of jobs in Indianapolis. The key is to start off flexible land a job. Heck working in a resturant is better than nothing as you can atleast bring in some money and then after you get settled down you can look for the job that suits your degree and skills.

heres a list of some accounting jobs in Indianapolis:Accounting Jobs in Indianapolis, IN on CareerBuilder.com

Its important though to get a job when you first move then as they say Upgrade your job after you settled down for a couple months know the area and get the moving expenses taken care of.
Yeah I searched for tax/accounting jobs in Indianapolis. There is a solid amount of jobs available. Now, why would you recommend Indianapolis over Columbus, OH? Columbus seems to fare better statistically on virtually every metric. I'm also gay, but I also believe that it shouldn't matter these days, anywhere. But I noticed that both cities have large gay populations, which is great.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah I searched for tax/accounting jobs in Indianapolis. There is a solid amount of jobs available. Now, why would you recommend Indianapolis over Columbus, OH? Columbus seems to fare better statistically on virtually every metric. I'm also gay, but I also believe that it shouldn't matter these days, anywhere. But I noticed that both cities have large gay populations, which is great.
Ironic you mention that.
Indiana as a state is more conservative But Indianapolis is the exact opposite of the state. Indianapolis is very welcoming and open to gays. The General rule is dont force your beliefs on someone else and youll do fine. I am not saying though that as a gay you would feel rejected anywhere in Indiana cause thats not true.
I personally dont care about what a person does in bed and i dont see why certain people would want to dictate that. Indiana thought about passing a gay marriage ban but that probably wont happen due to the Supreme court ruling on the constitutionality of California Proposition 8. My money is on that the supreme court rules that Gays deserve equal rights as every other human being.
Indianapolis is growing faster than Columbus.
Aside from that heres somethings to consider:
Indianapolis and Columbus are both state capitals and as many have said Indianapolis has the much better downtown well Columbus has the better neighborhoods. Columbus is a little more expensive than Indy and Indiana's business climate is better than Ohio's.

Last edited by Broadrippleguy; 03-27-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.