Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Not everything you hear on the internet is true.
Keep that in mind.
Plus not all stats are true either.
Right, but statistics are unbiased and are the best information we have. If they are not the best information we have that is unbiased, then what is?

People on these forums said that Charlotte and Raleigh, NC aren't really southern cultured. When I actually lived there for a month, I'm sorry, it was quite southern cultured still. Sure, not as much as other cities, such as Jackson, MS, but coming from New England, Charlotte and Raleigh are SOUTHERN. It's all relative. Same goes for Ohio and Indiana. To me, they are both Midwestern cultured, although Ohio not AS much (particularly northeastern OH). Heck, even western PA feels Midwestern to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM

416 posts, read 701,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Since I'm a numbers person (accountant), I'm just going to go by the statistics, which fare better for Columbus than Indianapolis, although both places seem good.
If you are looking for a place closer to Connecticut, but want out of the expense of New York and Boston, look into Pittsburgh and Cleveland. You will find similar traits in culture, and won't feel like you're completely away from what you're use to. Like I said, here in NE Ohio we have a large Italian population, in my area Italians are the majority. Pittsburgh and Cleveland both have pretty good economies, they get overlooked a lot, but the majority of people always have good things to say when they visit. I am smack in the middle of the two. Also, give Philly a look.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
If you are looking for a place closer to Connecticut, but want out of the expense of New York and Boston, look into Pittsburgh and Cleveland. You will find similar traits in culture, and won't feel like you're completely away from what you're use to. Like I said, here in NE Ohio we have a large Italian population, in my area Italians are the majority. Pittsburgh and Cleveland both have pretty good economies, they get overlooked a lot, but the majority of people always have good things to say when they visit. I am smack in the middle of the two. Also, give Philly a look.
Cleveland and Pittsburgh have both sparked my interest (As have Buffalo and Rochester). But, all of these cities have high unemployment rates and a dwindling population of young adults, which concerns me. I do have a friend in Akron, however. Can't believe how CHEAP that area is.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Cleveland and Pittsburgh have both sparked my interest (As have Buffalo and Rochester). But, all of these cities have high unemployment rates and a dwindling population of young adults, which concerns me. I do have a friend in Akron, however. Can't believe how CHEAP that area is.
Buffalo truly is an underrated city, but it has hit hard times. With the uncertainty of HSBC, I am worried things can get even worse. Don't let Cleveland and Pittsburgh's population worry you, but have extremely diverse economies. Look into neighborhoods like Shadyside, Tremont, Oakland, Coventry, Southside Flats, and Lakewood. All popular among young professionals, and there is another long list, that's just a few. Talk about cities that have went from losing so much in the 70s and 80s to being centers for robotics, healthcare, and truly world class culture. Like any place, you should visit and see what you think. I am of course going to tout them because they're both local and truly unique. Pittsburgh and Cleveland have:

Rail transit
Dynamic ecnomies
Within a days drive of pretty much the entire eastern half of the country
Big city ammenities at a a quarter of the price you would find in Chicago or New York, but their ammenities can still compete
National parks, ski resorts, mountains, great lake, so much more

What are you interests?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Buffalo truly is an underrated city, but it has hit hard times. With the uncertainty of HSBC, I am worried things can get even worse. Don't let Cleveland and Pittsburgh's population worry you, but have extremely diverse economies. Look into neighborhoods like Shadyside, Tremont, Oakland, Coventry, Southside Flats, and Lakewood. All popular among young professionals, and there is another long list, that's just a few. Talk about cities that have went from losing so much in the 70s and 80s to being centers for robotics, healthcare, and truly world class culture. Like any place, you should visit and see what you think. I am of course going to tout them because they're both local and truly unique. Pittsburgh and Cleveland have:

Rail transit
Dynamic ecnomies
Big city ammenities at a a quarter of the price you would find in Chicago or New York, but their ammenities can still compete

What are you interests?
I like the outdoors...hiking, travel, etc. I don't like to limit my interests to a place, though. Instead, I prefer to make the best of the place and find things to do that are unique to that area.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:

Rail transit
Dynamic ecnomies

What are you interests?
Here are some jobs in relation to the OP: Accounting Jobs, Employment in Buffalo, NY | Indeed.com

I believe that the median age in Buffalo is 34 and the highest percentage in plurality is between 25-34. if you go with Buffalo, look into North Buffalo, which is where the Italian Festival is held and it puts you close or close enough to Elmwood Village and Allentown. Buffalo does have rail as well.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I like the outdoors...hiking, travel, etc. I don't like to limit my interests to a place, though. Instead, I prefer to make the best of the place and find things to do that are unique to that area.
Ok, well I will leave it open to other posters to fill you in on some ideas. I have to finish up work, and I could post some stuff later. The nice thing about Pittsburgh and Cleveland (and you could say the same for a number of cities out there) is that you can go from one neighborhood to the next and get a completely different feel and vibe, there's a lot of diversity out there. They are both more liberal areas, and put a high emphasis on the arts.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here are some jobs in relation to the OP: Accounting Jobs, Employment in Buffalo, NY | Indeed.com

I believe that the median age in Buffalo is 34 and the highest percentage in plurality is between 25-34. if you go with Buffalo, look into North Buffalo, which is where the Italian Festival is held and it puts you close or close enough to Elmwood Village and Allentown. Buffalo does have rail as well.
As a metro area, Buffalo ranks lower than the national average in terms of population aged between 25-34. I would not live in the city of Buffalo itself, as it is crime ridden, blighted and sketchy. Admittedly, it's a beautiful city architecturally...possible one of the nicest in the nation in that regard. It's really hard to get flights from Buffalo to Hartford, though. And it's a 6-7 hour drive to family there. In other words, even though Buffalo is closer to Hartford than say, Cleveland, I can travel much quicker from Cleveland to Hartford, because there are nonstop flights available, which are only 1.5 hrs long.

Old 03-27-2013, 03:07 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
As a metro area, Buffalo ranks lower than the national average in terms of population aged between 25-34. I would not live in the city of Buffalo itself, as it is crime ridden, blighted and sketchy. Admittedly, it's a beautiful city architecturally...possible one of the nicest in the nation in that regard. It's really hard to get flights from Buffalo to Hartford, though. And it's a 6-7 hour drive to family there. In other words, even though Buffalo is closer to Hartford than say, Cleveland, I can travel much quicker from Cleveland to Hartford, because there are nonstop flights available, which are only 1.5 hrs long.
Areas of the city vary and Kenmore would be a good alternative. I'll believe you in terms of the flights.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
I know you are not in favor of the Midwest but give this a look anyway. Keep in mind that there are progressive cities everywhere and you could be surprised. I have to add that I have been hearing good things about DesMoines over the past few years and you might just like it. In any case this is worth reading.

Best places for young adults 2013 - The Business Journals

A bit of advice I would give you is don't rush to the so-called "hip" areas every one else is flocking too. All you will find is overcrowding, high cost of living and hugh competition for jobs. You can find a nice place with nice people and plenty of things to do in a city where people are great and opportunities are available without all the hype. I think there a lot of good suggestions from people on your thread actually living in these places so you can take advantage of their experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.