U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 09:56 PM

63,844 posts, read 52,652,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
Lots of people who replied seemed to appreciate your thorough - nay, exhaustive! - rebuttal of the '17 Reasons' blog. Didn't notice anyone comment on the humour! But then, people often rep me for reasons I wouldn't, too...
Not sure what you mean by this odd statement, but I'm not too worried about your take on my sense of humor.

Now - enough of this stupid sidetrack of a conversation. Have an AWESOME evening! Don't step out in front of any public transportation - oh, that's right, not too much danger of that here in the old US of A...

Damn it, why do I even try to pretend I like living here? My face is sore from all this fake smiling! I have at least 18 reasons why I wish I was born anywhere but here...heck, I'd rather live in IRELAND than in this miserable place with all these huge portions of food and extremely friendly people and cheap gasoline to put in all these damn cars and DAMN IT if I see another Superbowl ad I'll just OFF myself!!!!!!!!
Rate this post positively

Old 04-07-2013, 05:02 AM

994 posts, read 1,168,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Not sure what you mean by this odd statement, but I'm not too worried about your take on my sense of humor.

Now - enough of this stupid sidetrack of a conversation. Have an AWESOME evening! Don't step out in front of any public transportation - oh, that's right, not too much danger of that here in the old US of A...

Damn it, why do I even try to pretend I like living here? My face is sore from all this fake smiling! I have at least 18 reasons why I wish I was born anywhere but here...heck, I'd rather live in IRELAND than in this miserable place with all these huge portions of food and extremely friendly people and cheap gasoline to put in all these damn cars and DAMN IT if I see another Superbowl ad I'll just OFF myself!!!!!!!!
You're still a little riled

Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 AM

381 posts, read 891,800 times
Nice article, he's not bashing the US, just communicating his impressions.
He's right on most things, but he should not be so blunt like if he was morally superior....he should have outlined the feature as a descriptive writing, not as a tirade.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:22 AM

16,196 posts, read 23,464,683 times
I really enjoyed his observations and candor.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:29 AM

16,196 posts, read 23,464,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
When did individual people start thinking that their opinion is more than just that: their opinion. Who cares about nonsense like this?
Love this comment. Think about it, while you post your opinions on an open forum

Old 04-07-2013, 05:58 AM

23,784 posts, read 26,792,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The writer does not come off as rude. The writer comes off as someone, that has travelled and has seen other places and countries on this earth. I'm guessing many on here probably have not travelled as extensively as this person has. I doubt the writer would give a rats ass if anyone on here, or in the USA period. Found traits about Europe as not appealing. Most Europeans would let you have your opinion and be done with it. Not all the whining and anger.....
LOL, too funny!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
You're still a little riled
LOL no I'm not...but once again, I see that you and I have an obvious disconnect in our sense of humor!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
Nice article, he's not bashing the US, just communicating his impressions.
He's right on most things, but he should not be so blunt like if he was morally superior....he should have outlined the feature as a descriptive writing, not as a tirade.
But...and I'm really stretching here...what if it IS a tirade?

Old 04-07-2013, 07:38 AM

90,352 posts, read 114,538,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The writer does not come off as rude. The writer comes off as someone, that has travelled and has seen other places and countries on this earth. I'm guessing many on here probably have not travelled as extensively as this person has. I doubt the writer would give a rats ass if anyone on here, or in the USA period. Found traits about Europe as not appealing. Most Europeans would let you have your opinion and be done with it. Not all the whining and anger. That is the big difference with many Americans, they cannot take any criticism about the USA or its problems. Even when those problems and traits to the country are right in one's face. What is the writer suppose to not notice. That there is not a lot of self righteous religious this and that in this country. There is a lot of religious this and that and its in our politics also. There is pitiful transportation even in many of our large Metro's. Is the writer suppose to be rude and obnoxious for noticing this. We do have an outrageous amount of the population that is obese. It amazes me that people think foreigners are not suppose to notice anything in the USA. Perhaps it would be more appealing to everyone if the Irishman were to say. The roads are paved in gold in America, and everyone has a pot of gold at the end of their road.

America and Americans would be a lot better off and a lot more respected in this world. If they dealth with the problems at hand, or at least admitted they are there. Instead of the non stop whining when someone from elsewhere notices. I still think the writer was extremely polite and courteous to this USA and its people. Again unless your someone that has travelled extensively, you cannot possibly put yourself in the place of someone that has. In this case the writer who was very honest and to the point with Americans about America. Yet polite.
This has not been my experience. IME, many Europeans are just as defensive about their country, their way of doing things, etc, as the Americans.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:40 AM

5,546 posts, read 7,735,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Europe is great if what matters to you is security in your mediocrity.
I doubt most of what I and many successful people I know have done would be remotely possible in most of Europe.
But for those with little to no aspirations, it would be the best choice.
Remember it was the young hungry son who came here and built a life fighting wolves and clearing land. It was the older brother who had the security that stayed in the home country within the cultural bounds.

I loved the 10 years I lived in Germany and think it was great. and we almost stayed. But I came to realize we are built differently. And those differences do have manifestations in cultural aspects.

To each his own I guess. Still like it there and may spend some retirement years revisiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.