U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 07:48 AM

64,223 posts, read 53,261,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This has not been my experience. IME, many Europeans are just as defensive about their country, their way of doing things, etc, as the Americans.
You are not kidding.

Like I said earlier, people who think that Europeans are so magnanimous when it comes to criticism of their culture should try going to the European areas of this forum and listing 17 reasons why they don't want to ever live in Europe - though they're definitely going to inflict themselves on Europeans again on vacation! - and see how much of a sense of humor and benevolence their European hosts display.

Be sure to post links to those threads for us to enjoy!
Rate this post positively

Old 04-07-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Remember it was the young hungry son who came here and built a life fighting wolves and clearing land. It was the older brother who had the security that stayed in the home country within the cultural bounds.

I loved the 10 years I lived in Germany and think it was great. and we almost stayed. But I came to realize we are built differently. And those differences do have manifestations in cultural aspects.

To each his own I guess. Still like it there and may spend some retirement years revisiting.
Very well stated.

I love visiting Europe and do so as often as possible. When I am there, and heck, when I'm back home and discussing my experiences, I keep my occasional negative opinions or impressions to myself for the most part. Guess it's just my "genteel southern upbringing" showing up. I would certainly NEVER criticize European values to a European, unless I was asked point blank about it. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't visit the UK and then write a blog ranting about things I hated about it - all the while planning a trip back to that very place!

It seems a bit unnecessarily rude and sanctimonious to me, but hey, that's just my personal opinion.

You know, I find it amusing when people excuse rudeness by claiming "I'm just being HONEST!" Honesty at another's expense is usually simply self righteousness showing up. If you don't believe me, try telling your significant other that you've always thought their chin was a bit weak and that sort of grosses you out, or tell your boss that you're pretty sure your natural IQ is significantly higher than hers is. See where that gets ya!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:12 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,191,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The stupidest part about this blog post is that it starts with "Americans are too sensitive."

That's like coming up with a list of criticisms directed at someone and starting it with, "You are too sensitive to criticism. Now read the other 16 things I don't like about you." And when they don't want to read the list, you can say, see, I knew you were too sensitive.

Btw, I didn't read the rest after seeing #1. Also it doesn't belong in NYC forum.
You're just proving his point with your reply.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,080 posts, read 49,798,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love visiting Europe and do so as often as possible. When I am there, and heck, when I'm back home and discussing my experiences, I keep my occasional negative opinions or impressions to myself for the most part. Guess it's just my "genteel southern upbringing" showing up. I would certainly NEVER criticize European values to a European, unless I was asked point blank about it. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't visit the UK and then write a blog ranting about things I hated about it - all the while planning a trip back to that very place!
Some of the blogger's criticisms are rather silly, others not. But I don't see what the big deal is of writing afterwards "cultural habits of America I don't like". It's a bit much IMO to see people get so worked up about it, they're generalization not personal criticisms.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 AM

24,636 posts, read 25,195,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypal View Post
I came across this blog a few weeks ago and I couldn't resist to share it.
17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America - Fluent in 3 months - Language Hacking and Travel Tips
I find all his points true and I love how blunt and honest it sounds.
I'm a foreign living in the US, as much as I thank the country for the opportunities given, I'm ready to leave. please read it and share your comments
MHO:

#s 1, 2, 13 and 16 are kind of understandable. The rest are BS. LOL.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Some of the blogger's criticisms are rather silly, others not. But I don't see what the big deal is of writing afterwards "cultural habits of America I don't like". It's a bit much IMO to see people get so worked up about it, they're generalization not personal criticisms.
This is a discussion forum. We're discussing his article. If we didn't discuss things like this, this forum would be a pretty boring place!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,191,682 times
I thought the blog had many good points, and I'll remark on just a few:

1. Americans are too sensitive. Witness the number of responses on this blog like "well then don't come here." Criticizing something doesn't mean you have contempt or disdain for it. You could actually love someone or something and still criticize it.

2. Americans do smile more than people in a lot of other countries, and I know a lot of them aren't real smiles, but sometimes they are. And it does make the people in other countries seem unfriendly when they don't approach you with a smile.

3. Wasteful consumerism. Well America is defined by its consumerism. I too find it ridiculous how people chase after the latest Apple product, and actually define themselves by what they own.

4. Idiot stereotypes of other countries. That's pretty true.

5. I.D. checks and stupid drinking laws. I agree that these are stupid. Up until just a few years ago I was regularly carded and I'm well into middle age. It's true you can vote or buy a gun and you can't drink---that's just stupid.

6. Religion is in your face. Uh, yes, that is very true. And even worse the most religious Americans, who should theoretically be the most tolerant, well, they're usually not.

7. Corporations win all the time, not small business. He mostly complains about the lack of walking-distance restaurants in neighborhoods, and this is very true. America is a car-centric country.

8. Always in a hurry. I think people in most countries are always in a hurry. I think what he's referring to here, is that America has few public places that are designed simply for milling around, socializing. That's where in Europe you see people not in a hurry. Since the U.S. has far fewer places like that, many city downtowns are virtually deserted at night, it can seem like people never relax. Maybe he didn't visit the malls,.

9. Obsession with money. Uh, yes, America is obsessed with money. Somehow, here rich people are assumed to be good, and poor people are bad. When in reality, the more conniving unethical ruthless unkind people are likely to be the wealthiest amongst us, in my experience.

10. Thinking America is the best. I think the residents of most countries think this, but America is over on the top on it's chest-thumping. And, as he noted, if you dare to criticize the U.S. or its way of life, you're usually told to stuff it, which really doesn't help improve or change anything, and certainly makes Americans small-minded and intolerant.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,544,932 times
I will agree with #3, #8, #10, #11, #13, #17 but the rest of the list was just utter bullsh*t.

The fact that this guy claimed he could not even find a restaurant in Downtown Chicago of all places, makes him lose any credibility he had left.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
10. Thinking America is the best. I think the residents of most countries think this, but America is over on the top on it's chest-thumping. And, as he noted, if you dare to criticize the U.S. or its way of life, you're usually told to stuff it, which really doesn't help improve or change anything, and certainly makes Americans small-minded and intolerant.
Like I said earlier, try that "honesty" on some Europeans - list seventeen things you disdain about their country - and see if you get a magnanimous, humble response.

I have a distinct feeling that you'll be told to "stuff it" - or worse - pretty quickly! But of course Europeans can't POSSIBLY be as small minded and intolerant as Americans, right?

Not many people the world over would respond positively to a list of 17 things a foreigner hates about their country.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:31 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,080 posts, read 49,798,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Which ones?
That don't apply for New York City [I commented because this thread was originally in the NYC forum] and some of the rest of the Northeast:

#2: Awesome and full of cheer? Meh.
#3: Smiling? Seemed like polite smiles don't happen much in NYC. Service workers definitely don't smile. And polite smiles seem more common in the west. They do feel a bit fake to me.
#11: People generally keep their religion to themselves here. And New York City, everyone except nuisance street and subway preachers.
#13: Obviously. The cities isn't designed for drivers and not pedestrians

I actually agreed with a lot of the list.

Quote:
#5 False prices I really couldn't care about.
#8 Is just just an American humor. We like stereotype humor.
#9 I like! Being someplace that's very homogeneous so heritigate isn't important to most since everyone has the same heritage as everyone else (aha! stereotypes are fun!)? Boring.
#12 Seems ridiculous.
#13 Is ridiculous. It's designed for people. Who use cars.
#17 is just the truth. =D
#4 was mostly stupid
#8 Most stereotype humor is stupid, but from what I can tell British and Europeans make stereotype humor more than Americans
#9 Agree heritage makes a place more interesting. But when someone talks about the difference their German or Irish, etc. hertiage when it was many generations it's a bit silly. I get his complaint, the "Irish" Americans he met just seemed American to him, there was nothing Irish about them to him. But the last part, that we should change our wording speaking to foreigners is a bit much
#13 I agreed with his point there, but you knew that already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.