U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,618,977 times

Advertisements

This is basically a culture shock article.

Funny thing is, if an American wrote this same kind of article about Europe, Europeans, and pretentious, extreme left, grass-is-greener-on-the-other-side Americans would talk about it being typical American close-mindedness and xenophobia.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM

14,005 posts, read 10,265,026 times
I thought that we didn't have a culture here.

The thing that I don't like about America is that there are so many damned Irish expats here.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:17 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,320,230 times
I thought the article was pretty spot on myself.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM

14,870 posts, read 20,123,884 times
This is Awesome

Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 AM

2,512 posts, read 5,415,593 times
Lol at the responses in this thread in regards to being "too sensitive". It's just one person's opinion, no need to get bent out of shape about it. he nailed it one thing, most people in this country are too sensitive and self entitled.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:29 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,320,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Lol at the responses in this thread in regards to being "too sensitive". It's just one person's opinion, no need to get bent out of shape about it. he nailed it one thing, most people in this country are too sensitive and self entitled.
I agree! I think the person who wrote the article and I would get along great. But people tend to tell me I am too straight forward and could benefit from being more sensitive.... I do wish the author spent some more time in New England, he may have found its a little less "fake"

Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM

2,426 posts, read 4,057,158 times
Bottom line. No country is perfect, not even the U.S.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 AM

8,704 posts, read 14,889,175 times
I have to agree with much of what the writer has commented on. I can relate to his viewpoints and some of his background. I have lived outside of the USA in my lifetime, and I am also originally from Ireland. I have lived in and have been a citizen of the USA for decades. I have also lived in Germany and Japan for several years on work assignments. I think living outside of the USA one may have a different perspective, vs someone that never has.

I have always found the USA to be overly religious, and many areas are much to much in your face about it. The church on Sunday and judging others the rest of the week is extremely concerning. I have also found myself wondering thru the years. Was much thought put into admitting all of these states into the same country. Reason being. A number of these states come across as if they are not happy being a part of the USA. I see problems down the road on this subject. Problems that have already surfaced and are going to have to be addressed. There is a tremendous culture clash in the USA from some regions to another. It effects the overall quality of life in the USA. It certainly puts a damper on its politics and social issues. There is just way to much disagreement from one region to another, for the country to operate properly.

There is a serious lack of transit and there is little that can be done about that. Reason being its not wanted or it would have been addressed years ago. With that lack of comes the overuse of vehicles and the problems associated with that. Not much can be done about that because it falls on deaf ears. Though these are not my views on this subject. I prefer transit where there is large population centers, but its a waste of energy trying to get it done in this country.

Just yesterday I was in a restaurant and for some reason, it really hit me how obese so many people are. I thought to myself is there no end to this problem in this country. I see it so much and there are no other words for it. It is a disgrace. That someone cannot even attempt to take better care of themselves. I could see the meals these people were ordering, and its obvious they just don't care. It is a national problem in this country and way out of control. Personally I think it a symptom of other problems within society here. The just don't care across the board factor.

There are many beautiful areas and many wonderful people in the USA. However the problems here are beyond serious. The writer of the article said it like it is and I respect that. I miss that in this country saying it like it is. Something I really only see in the Northeastern USA, but then that area has always had so many Europeans settle there. For generations and I think it has shaped that area differently than the rest of the USA. People do seem to say it like it is, so much more so in the Northeast.

The USA is way to sensitive about itself, more than is healthy. That over sensitive vibe is hard to digest at times.

It is a great country though, but it is faltering. I'm not sure if many Americans refuse to accept that or do they even care. I don't know. Some do and some don't seem to. The country has changed dramatically since my family's early years here. I can't say it has been in a good way and I hope things can improve.

One of the comments the writer made is one many from elsewhere have noticed in the USA. It is probably the most annoying and unwelcoming one I have noticed and felt. It is the comment. The USA is the best and is better than every other country on earth. I find it a very disrespectful, arrogant and ignorant comment to make. Like the writer I have also bit my tongue so many times with this comment, that I'm surprised I have a tongue left. I say to myself what kind of a person says that. I know all to well what kind of person says it, and I feel quite sorry for them.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:46 AM

7,600 posts, read 17,644,965 times
He's right on tax and tipping too. Americans in general are hyper sensitive. Different strokes for different folks though. I take my best living experiences from Ireland and America and combine them.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM

14,870 posts, read 20,123,884 times
This forum is being invaded by a bunch of msmbc watching negative nancy liberal teenagers.... Run!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.