Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times

Advertisements

I think guy's experiences are better (or at least it's more interesting to me):

18 Strange Observations of America (an Australian Living in the USA)

18. They Still use Cheques
17. They Have Loads of Dangerous Animals but Worry About Australia’s Snakes and Spiders
16.The Internet is Fast… Really Fast
15. People are Super Friendly and Polite
14. People Want to Know Your Political Opinion Right Away
13. People Think Owning Guns is Normal
12. The Toilets are Full of Water
11. They Eat and Drink Like There’s No Tomorrow
10. The Food is Actually Good!
9. They Call Flatmates “Roommates”, Main Courses “Entrees” and Regular Pasta Sauce “Marinara”…
8. The Girls do Like Aussie Guys, but…
7. They Attend University on the Other Side of the Country
6. College Football is HUGE and Cheerleading is a Sport
5. They form Fraternities and Sororities
4. They have Drive-Thru ATMs
3. They have the Most Stunning Coastline
2. They Build some of the Ugliest Towns in the Most Beautiful Locations
1. They are DIVERSE

Click on the link to read the descriptions.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:19 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Less silly than measuring diversity by race.
No, it's not. And most people don't measure diversity simply by race anyway. There's no other country on earth that has the cultural diversity of the United States. Period.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No, it's not. And most people don't measure diversity simply by race anyway. There's no other country on earth that has the cultural diversity of the United States. Period.
United Arab Emirates and Qatar.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:06 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
No, it's not. And most people don't measure diversity simply by race anyway.
Actually, many, if not most do, or at least measure diversity by how many (lack of) white non-Hispanics there are. For example, headline from a Seattle area school "we are very diverse, with 73% of the students being minorities". Racial gorups and the one lone ethnic group that is measured, Hispanics, are often lumped together without regard to there being differences among them.

Quote:
There's no other country on earth that has the cultural diversity of the United States. Period.
I never stated there was.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:08 PM

35 posts, read 58,569 times
I live in the United States and dislike diversity.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:37 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
This guy's H1-B visa application must have been rejected or something.

America is the greatest country in the world. For every European weenie that doesn't want to live here, there are 10 that do, particularly the racial minorities that don't have 1/10th the opportunity there that they would have here.
Typical New Yorker. And let me guess, no one else eats food, has a job, home, car or seen the sun rise outside the United States and specifically New York City?

While a minority, you have had a few mixed-race Americans move to Germany, where they received not just free medical schooling but a financial stipend while they're attending medical school, with the agreement being they have to practice medicine in Germany for so many years. Even Cuba offers free medical schooling to Black-Americans (training other minorities around the world), with the agreement they return to the U.S. and practice medicine in under privileged areas. Not that I'd want to live impoverished in Cuba, nor am I suggesting the U.S. does not excel in capitalism, but the way in which capitalism is expressed in the United States is not the only route on earth for a white or dark skinned person to make academic or professional advancement. Or just eat and have friends and lovers.

You might read the autobiography of Carlos Ghosn Carlos Ghosn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At one time Ghosn was considered the top CEO in the world by most professionals published rankings. The man ran 2 corporations at the same time from 2 different countries: France and Japan. He's Lebanese by ancestry but Brazilian by birth and early rearing, educated by Jesuits in Lebanon, then received engineering education in France, he's lived in and had a professional life in business in the USofA, France, and Japan at minimum. He states in his book I read that lots of his family still lives in Brazil and to this day he still feels most at home in Rio de Janeiro. He speaks several languages too.

Then there is the Lebanese-Mexican Carlos Slim. Never heard of him, right? Don't worry, he's partly a billionaire--many times over--by contractually providing cheap cellphones to the U.S. Government which gives them free of charge to impoverished Americans of foodstamps. He lives in Mexico.

You have others in the arts and literature--like Gabriel Garcia Marquez--that have done fine using the culture and lessons home their native lands, in conjunction with their own creativity, without moving to the United States or New York City. Marquez's owns a second home in Mexico I believe, where he spends most his time.

Ireland itself has transformed itself into a prosperous nation several decades back. You might want to look into that. And I'm not talking about Northern Ireland.

Anyways, it can not be denied that the United States has historically excelled in the science of business management and corporate structure and produced men like Jack Welch formerly of GE. And General Motors was once ranked along with the Catholic Church and the Austro-Hungarian Empire as one of the most efficiently run institutions in human history.

But today is a new day and not everything revolves around sailing in tattered clothing to Ellis Island to live in some tenement in Brooklyn, New York.

(Chicago's Larry Hoover by the way... while in prison restructured his organization to model the Japanese corporate structure he read about; with him sitting as "first chair" or chairman of the board.)

Old 05-29-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post

You can't tell me that European countries are as diverse culturally as the U.S.
I think it has more to do with cities today. The Near South Side of Milwaukee--reportedly--is the most multi-cultural area in the whole of Wisconsin. I've walked down Manhattan in NYC. The Near South Side would be an extremely tiny, less congested, version of different racial/ethnic faces in Manhattan. I've seen an East or Southeast Asian Buddhist monk (I think on National Ave.) standing in front of a Buddhist temple on the Near South Side of Milwaukee.

And the City of Milwaukee itself is ethnically and racially diverse--while being largely racially segregated, the Near South Side the exception--but the County of Milwaukee is far less diverse and hyper-racially segregated. The greater state of Wisconsin is not United Nations.

What is a United Nations is the City of London in England. If the descriptions I've read about it are true than it surpasses New York City in racially and ethnically mixed neighborhoods and nightlife in general.

But England itself is no United Nations. It's particular cities be they in England or other countries that tend to have the "diversity."

Read a Zadie Smith novel: White Teeth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
White Teeth is a 2000 novel by the British author Zadie Smith. It focuses on the later lives of two wartime friends—the Bangladeshi Samad Iqbal and the Englishman Archie Jones, and their families in London. The book won multiple honours, including the 2000 James Tait Black Memorial Prize for fiction, the 2000 Whitbread Book Award in category best first novel,[1] the Guardian First Book Award, the Commonwealth Writers First Book Prize, and the Betty Trask Award. Time magazine included the novel in its TIME 100 Best English-language Novels from 1923 to 2005.[2]

Old 05-29-2013, 02:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^I have to say, it sounds like you've never been to London, yet you know what it's all about.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
You should never trust a map that doesn't spell "ethnically" correctly.

But it's a pretty silly way of measuring diversity. Yes, Uganda with its 332,060 ethnic groups would probably be considered more "diverse" than Queens, New York. But who seriously thinks that way?
Africa is the most genetically diverse continent on Africa. If you don't like that then take it up with geneticists and anthropologists.

Ethnicity usually includes characteristics like language and religion. Therefore, we can construe Black-American, also referred to as African-Americans, as ethnically separate from Puerto Ricans.

Race is a sociological reality and sociological truism. Depending how one wants to define race then only one race of humans exists on earth (or several). If race is defined as some scientist prefer to define it as a sub-species within a race, then only one race of humans as exist on earth, otherwise we would expect mulatto males to be incapable of reproducing with white and black females.

But ethnicity often follows or correlates with physical phenotypes we can identify. But that has to do with ancestry, with populations of isolated in some form or another, reproducing specifically within their population.

Linguistically the United States and Latin America are far more homogenous than Africa.

But you are correct to the extent the United States boast an ethnic representative from all over the earth. But the country is the size of a continent and not everyone lives in a New York City or L.A. type cosmopolitan environment within the USofA.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:10 PM

35 posts, read 58,569 times
and now this thread has gone totally off topic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.