Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:28 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,129 times

Advertisements

Most Europeans generally like the U.S. while acknowledging that its not perfect. I find that those among them that are particularly racist or misogynistic tend not to like the U.S. much at all because they feel restrained by our "political correctness" -- much like the author of this article. I feel that's a good thing that people like that feel uncomfortable here.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Truly silly and with a kind of uncritical tunnel vision. The same sort of list could be made under the title "17 Cultural Reasons Why this American Never Wants to Live in Europe."

The cultural intolerance is the sad thing, the lack of awareness of your own culture as a choice rather than a superior given. A sign of true ignorance and lack of sophistication.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypal View Post
I came across this blog a few weeks ago and I couldn't resist to share it.
17 cultural reasons why this European never wants to live in America - Fluent in 3 months - Language Hacking and Travel Tips
I find all his points true and I love how blunt and honest it sounds.
I'm a foreign living in the US, as much as I thank the country for the opportunities given, I'm ready to leave. please read it and share your comments
Don't let the screen door hitcha.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It's hard to walk....in Austin.
Does anyone care?

LOL it's hard to walk down 6th Street after 7 martinis in the Elephant Room...other than that, I have no complaints whatsoever about Austin!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
So he thinks that we actually like the over the top commercials for hair gel or skin moisturizer or whatever?

And he also thinks that when somebody says something along the lines of "if you don't drink, you can't really be Irish" that it's not a joke? And we're the oversensitive ones?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Actually, I kind of liked his blog. It's his opinion of the US. I could see his point in a lot of the things he brought up and IMO he wasn't bashing us, just stating what he personally does not like. The US is not for everybody.

And I personally am a gun totin, flag waving, proud American who feels that this awesome (hehehe) country is the best there is, even with our problems. And I do acknowledge we have our share just like any other country. But I live here and if I didn't feel that way I'd be living someplace else. I feel anyone should be able to feel the same about their own country. Nothing wrong with that thought.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:18 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times
I found none of those to be true in my case or any of my friends cases. The one exception would be saying awesome, but discrediting an entire nation of human beings because of a commonly used term which "erks" you is beyond idiotic. Aside from the awesome thing and perhaps the heritage thing (I don't see anything wrong with wanting to know your history) that list is literally just a list of the worst traits of the U.S, which is absolutely pointless because you can do that with every country in the world.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Some of the stuff I agree with...other things are overly negative and region specific.

Other times he's just plain crazy. For example, saying he was more nervous walking through San Francisco than Recife? Is he ****ing nuts? As you can see by my location, I live in São Paulo, which is the safest major city in Brasil. Recife is probably the most dangerous along with Belo Horizonte and then Rio. To compare the feeling of safety in an American downtown versus a Brasilian downtown is ridiculous...and then to blame it on the fact that people can legally buy guns in the US is just a cop out.

I have no problem with people criticizing the US. It's got tons of faults including an overwhelming amount of ugly, generic cities, mostly crappy food, overly ignorant people (though this is true of every country), Occupy Wall Street, etc...but a lot of this stuff is just too picky.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:46 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
What I agree with:

- Marketing
- Corporations
- Cars over Humans

What I disagree with:

- A problem with the word "awesome".
- Americans stereotyping foreigners (as if the reverse isn't true).
- Smiling for no reason?! Jesus everywhere!?! I'm guessing this guy never came to Boston. Or maybe I'm just missing something

Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It's hard to walk....in Austin.
Does anyone care?

I would if I lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.