Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 09:29 AM

89 posts, read 179,407 times

Advertisements

I do have to say I agree with some of his points

Since tipping is basically mandatory anyways, just include it in the price of a meal.

Regarding sales tax, please just include it in the price of an item and enough of all this 9.99, 9.95, 99.99 BS

Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlcc View Post
I do have to say I agree with some of his points

Since tipping is basically mandatory anyways, just include it in the price of a meal.

Regarding sales tax, please just include it in the price of an item and enough of all this 9.99, 9.95, 99.99 BS

LOL they do the 9.99 thing in Europe too!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
The writer does not come off as rude. The writer comes off as someone, that has travelled and has seen other places and countries on this earth. I'm guessing many on here probably have not travelled as extensively as this person has. I doubt the writer would give a rats ass if anyone on here, or in the USA period. Found traits about Europe as not appealing. Most Europeans would let you have your opinion and be done with it. Not all the whining and anger. That is the big difference with many Americans, they cannot take any criticism about the USA or its problems. Even when those problems and traits to the country are right in one's face. What is the writer suppose to not notice. That there is not a lot of self righteous religious this and that in this country. There is a lot of religious this and that and its in our politics also. There is pitiful transportation even in many of our large Metro's. Is the writer suppose to be rude and obnoxious for noticing this. We do have an outrageous amount of the population that is obese. It amazes me that people think foreigners are not suppose to notice anything in the USA. Perhaps it would be more appealing to everyone if the Irishman were to say. The roads are paved in gold in America, and everyone has a pot of gold at the end of their road.

America and Americans would be a lot better off and a lot more respected in this world. If they dealth with the problems at hand, or at least admitted they are there. Instead of the non stop whining when someone from elsewhere notices. I still think the writer was extremely polite and courteous to this USA and its people. Again unless your someone that has travelled extensively, you cannot possibly put yourself in the place of someone that has. In this case the writer who was very honest and to the point with Americans about America. Yet polite.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
The writer does not come off as rude. The writer comes off as someone, that has travelled and has seen other places and countries on this earth. I'm guessing many on here probably have not travelled as extensively as this person has. I doubt the writer would give a rats ass if anyone on here, or in the USA period. Found traits about Europe as not appealing. Most Europeans would let you have your opinion and be done with it. Not all the whining and anger. That is the big difference with many Americans, they cannot take any criticism about the USA or its problems. Even when those problems and traits to the country are right in one's face. What is the writer suppose to not notice. That there is not a lot of self righteous religious this and that in this country. There is a lot of religious this and that and its in our politics also. There is pitiful transportation even in many of our large Metro's. Is the writer suppose to be rude and obnoxious for noticing this. We do have an outrageous amount of the population that is obese. It amazes me that people think foreigners are not suppose to notice anything in the USA. Perhaps it would be more appealing to everyone if the Irishman were to say. The roads are paved in gold in America, and everyone has a pot of gold at the end of their road.

America and Americans would be a lot better off and a lot more respected in this world. If they dealth with the problems at hand, or at least admitted they are there. Instead of the non stop whining when someone from elsewhere notices. I still think the writer was extremely polite and courteous to this USA and its people. Again unless your someone that has travelled extensively, you cannot possibly put yourself in the place of someone that has. In this case the writer who was very honest and to the point with Americans about America. Yet polite.
I can ASSURE you (as a very well traveled person) that if I, as an American, wrote a blog criticizing and putting down Ireland or the UK, or Europe, along the same petty lines and tone as this writer, I would be lambasted by people from far and wide. In fact, I can prove it to you if you wish. How 'bout you go to, say, the UK forum here on this site, and start listing all the things so many people find irritating about the culture of the UK - make fun of their teeth, their industrial cities, their hard-to-decipher accents, the inability of some people to pronounce words "correctly," their healthcare system, etc. Then note their responses. I doubt they will be very friendly and appreciative of such negative diatribe.

Yes. Try that out. Make a list of 17 things people don't like about the UK - a polite yet frank list - and post it in the UK forum. I can't wait to see how tolerant and appreciative people are about it!

What if I made a little petulant list of all the things I didn't like about Europe? You think it wouldn't offend some Europeans? I can assure you it would. And what would be the point? I don't live there. When I visit there, I am there as a GUEST. A POLITE guest doesn't complain about how things are done - they go with the flow and try to be pleasant company, engage in polite conversation, compliment positive things about their hosts and their country, focus on the good and roll with the punches on what they don't care much for.

Of course, that's what POLITE people do. But everyone's not polite or thoughtful. Some guests are awful.

Like Groucho Marx said, "Go - and never darken my towels again!"

Old 04-05-2013, 10:17 AM

785 posts, read 1,882,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I can ASSURE you (as a very well traveled person) that if I, as an American, wrote a blog criticizing and putting down Ireland or the UK, or Europe, along the same petty lines and tone as this writer, I would be lambasted by people from far and wide.

What if I made a little petulant list of all the things I didn't like about Germany? You think it wouldn't offend some Germans? I can assure you it would. And what would be the point? I don't live there. When I visit there, I am there as a GUEST. A POLITE guest doesn't complain about how things are done - they go with the flow and try to be pleasant company, engage in polite conversation, compliment positive things about their hosts and their country, focus on the good and roll with the punches on what they don't care much for.

Of course, that's what POLITE people do. But everyone's not polite or thoughtful. Some guests are awful.

Like Groucho Marx said, "Go - and never darken my towels again!"
If you took that list and posted it on a German forum and didn't say anything nice about Germany or its people, maybe some might be annoyed. I'd imagine though, even then, they'd probably still be with you on at least a few points, since I think most people are aware of their country's short comings. The fact is, he didn't post in on here, he posted it on his own site, and it was shared by someone else, he even mentioned the good things he liked about the US and said he loved to visit and would do so again in the future. I don't know why you view his list as petulant, it's frank for sure, but he's not having a tantrum over it, he's exercising his right to post his views on his site. Is it so upsetting that someone has the audacity to dislike certain aspects of your country AND to actually mention it on his own site?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:17 AM

89 posts, read 179,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL they do the 9.99 thing in Europe too!
yeah at least its 9.99, not 9.99+tax

I hate change, that's why I use my credit card whenever possible. But somehow my collection of change is still accumulating hahaha.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
If you took that list and posted it on a German forum and didn't say anything nice about Germany or its people, maybe some might be annoyed. I'd imagine though, even then, they'd probably still be with you on at least a few points, since I think most people are aware of their country's short comings. The fact is, he didn't post in on here, he posted it on his own site, and it was shared by someone else, he even mentioned the good things he liked about the US and said he loved to visit and would do so again in the future. I don't know why you view his list as petulant, it's frank for sure, but he's not having a tantrum over it, he's exercising his right to post his views on his site. Is it so upsetting that someone has the audacity to dislike certain aspects of your country AND to actually mention it on his own site?
I'm not upset. I'm entertained. And as I mentioned in my first post, I agree with him about some things he listed.

That being said, he shouldn't be SURPRISED that people disagree with him or are even offended. I rather think he's not a bit surprised. In fact, I think he meant his blog entry to be provocative. I think he enjoys the debate. And that's OK too.

That being said, the OP placed his blog entry on THIS forum. I didn't go directly to his personal site and leave comments. It's his site, he can say what he wants. I'm responding to THIS OP on THIS forum.

I am sure that if I put a list of things I find silly or irritating about a place I visit on my own personal blog, I'd catch some flak as well. Not only that, if it was posted on other forums, I'd catch even MORE flak.

That's what you risk when you write anything on the, errrrr, "world wide web."

I guess I'm just an easy going person. When I visit other countries voluntarily, I focus on the positives and I enjoy most of the differences. If you point blank asked me "What did you dislike about Germany when you visited there a couple of years ago?" I would tell you, but it's not my job or duty to "correct" Germans or expect them to change their culture just because I personally am uncomfortable with some of the differences (now that we've handled that whole Hitler thing!). I don't want to live there - I prefer to live in the US. Both places have their pros and cons but that doesn't stop me from enjoying my visit there - in spite of some discomforts and surprises along the way.

Must be my Southern manners showing up!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 04-05-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
You're missing the whole point. As long as a European does that, in your mind, they're just exercising their right. Which is fine and dandy. But if an American were to do that, you would just write them off as being a typical, close-minded, uncultured, xenophobic American. There's a double standard there. That's the problem.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 AM

719 posts, read 2,666,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You'd rather wait?

When my wife and I were in Amsterdam we went to an Indian restaurant (Don't ask) and we were there for four hours and no, this was not a good thing.
No, I'd rather not. And you're supporting my point as well as the author with that statement. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it just is. Cultural differences are real, but that doesn't make any society better than another.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
No, I'd rather not. And you're supporting my point as well as the author with that statement. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it just is. Cultural differences are real, but that doesn't make any society better than another.
True. When we visit Europe and eat out in the evenings, we just accept that dinner is going to be a long event, and we go with the flow. We don't expect or demand that things be the same there - service, portions, wait time, etc - as they are here. If we wanted the same experience, we'd save our money and just stay in the states!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.