Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the US is in the middle as far as diversity goes. No where close to number 1, and yes some European countries are more diverse then the US. Nice try though.
I'm talking about cultural diversity (I thought I made that clear when I mentioned all the music genres), not ethnic diversity.

You can't tell me that European countries are as diverse culturally as the U.S.

Yes, they do have their own cultural differences, but nowhere near the U.S.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the US is in the middle as far as diversity goes. No where close to number 1, and yes some European countries are more diverse then the US. Nice try though.
Seriously? Canada is more diverse than the US? Must be the way they do their stats. Canada is whiter than the US.

Demographics of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
80% white, 1% Latin American, 2.5% black, etc.

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
78.1% white, 63.4% white non-Hispanic, 13.1% black, 16.7 Hispanic/Latino, etc

Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
You should never trust a map that doesn't spell "ethnically" correctly.

But it's a pretty silly way of measuring diversity. Yes, Uganda with its 332,060 ethnic groups would probably be considered more "diverse" than Queens, New York. But who seriously thinks that way?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:25 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Seriously? Canada is more diverse than the US? Must be the way they do their stats. Canada is whiter than the US.

Demographics of Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
80% white, 1% Latin American, 2.5% black, etc.

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
78.1% white, 63.4% white non-Hispanic, 13.1% black, 16.7 Hispanic/Latino, etc
This shows diversity how? Or is the measure of diversity based on how many white (non-Hispanic) people there are?

Old 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

But it's a pretty silly way of measuring diversity. Yes, Uganda with its 332,060 ethnic groups would probably be considered more "diverse" than Queens, New York. But who seriously thinks that way?
Less silly than measuring diversity by race.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Less silly than measuring diversity by race.
But I was simply speaking from a cultural standpoint. None of those individual European countries have as much cultural diversity as the U.S.

It's not even close, and only somebody that is completely biased would argue the point.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

I didn't notice the spelling error, but I did notice KaaBoom didn't provide a source for this map. Maybe he did it himself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This shows diversity how? Or is the measure of diversity based on how many white (non-Hispanic) people there are?
Well, if so, Canada wins. They have more non-Hispanic whites than the US!

There are many measures of diversity. Race is one. (Canada calls non-whites "visible minorities", meaning, I guess, you can look at them and see they're not white Europeans.) I'd argue that by almost any measure you could devise, the US is more diverse than Canada, also Brazil, which, yes, I have been to.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-29-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 11:33 AM

35 posts, read 58,538 times
I'm so sick of people championing diversity like its something you have to have. Some people like it, others despise it. I don't see why so many threads on this forum have to throw this in so many peoples faces.

I for one, don't care much for diversity. If certain cities within states want it then fine. I'm ok with Seattle having diversity. Doesn't mean everyone in the state of washington has to buy into if the "if you don't like living in diversity then your racist" propaganda.

People's and cultures have a right to self determination.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerCaleb92 View Post
I'm so sick of people championing diversity like its something you have to have. Some people like it, others despise it. I don't see why so many threads on this forum have to throw this in so many peoples faces.

I for one, don't care much for diversity. If certain cities within states want it then fine. I'm ok with Seattle having diversity. Doesn't mean everyone in the state of washington has to buy into if the "if you don't like living in diversity then your racist" propaganda.

People's and cultures have a right to self determination.
Just like people deserve the right to a "car-centric" lifestyle if they wanted to. Or if they want to be religious.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
But I was simply speaking from a cultural standpoint. None of those individual European countries have as much cultural diversity as the U.S.

It's not even close, and only somebody that is completely biased would argue the point.
I never stated I disagreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.