Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:34 AM

4 posts, read 32,740 times

Advertisements

I currently live in San Francisco, my hometown, and am absolutely an urban girl. After living in NYC for 10 years I find this place pretty provincial, and I hate hiking and camping, which is pretty important to people here. I work in arts administration and find very few employment opportunities here for that, (unless I want to work in advertising, which I don't) plus the cost of living here makes that nearly impossible. And I hate the public transportation, but of course, I am used to NYC.

Anyway, I am ready to move, and I wonder if anyone has suggestions for cities around the world that are comparable to San Francisco in climate and beauty but also have world class arts institutions, great public transportation, and that I could afford on an arts administration salary (roughly 50,000USD a year). Moving to NYC is an option just because so many employment opportunities are there, but somehow it seems even too congested for me now that I am 38, and I don't know if I could go back to being that strapped for cash all the time.

Okay, thanks for reading! Look forward to learning more about cities on this forum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 10:28 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Austin, Texas. Austin is sometimes referred to as the San Francisco of the South. Cost of living is much cheaper than in SF also.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:09 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Vancouver BC
Seattle
Sydney

Old 10-28-2007, 11:14 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
amsterdam
vancouver
london
philadelphia

Old 10-28-2007, 11:18 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Vancouver is the only other city you're going to find, worldwide, that closely resembles San Francisco. If what you truly want is that San Francisco feel and look, well... San Francisco is pretty unique. Nowhere else in the USA do we really have mountains and we only have oceans on two sides, so...

As an addendum, Austin is absolutely nothing like San Francisco. I don't particularly care for either city, but while in many ways Austin has technological and liberal attitudes akin to SF, they are radically different places. Austin's still a part of Texas, no matter what.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:41 AM

104 posts, read 449,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Austin, Texas. Austin is sometimes referred to as the San Francisco of the South. Cost of living is much cheaper than in SF also.
Austin is a whole 'nother world from San Fran. Public transportation is extremely limited, the climate is nothing like San Francisco's, it's not nearly as cosmopolitan, urban, or eccentric, and the people are outdoorsy.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:55 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
You have to realize that their is only one NYC. And if you are looking for a city like San Francisco, but more cosmopolitan (and there are very few cities that are, but NYC is definitely one of them), your options will be very few. A few people have mentioned Vancouver, BC. Putting aside the difficulties for americans to get work visas and get by in Canada, this city is probably more outdoors oriented than SF and not a whole lot more cosmopolitan. Fact is, SF probably ranks as one of the Top 5 sophisticated, arts-oriented towns in the entire country. If it seems too provinicial, the only answer may be to return to the Big Apple.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:45 PM

188 posts, read 989,337 times
Try Seattle.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:58 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,015 times
I would checkout Boston, Seattle, Philly, Toronto, London and Paris.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:36 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
my first thought was boston, it meets your criteria, except for climate
Been to both and I think they are similar

and why do people mention Philly? I don't see the similarities at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.